Word order/grammar question

Started by Starfire, June 02, 2014, 07:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starfire

I am trying to compose an appropriate insult when one is annoyed with someone else:  "A hellwasp should sting you". 

I've got "Sweylu txo zize´ sivngap nga", but I don't know if my word order and grammar are correct, particularly the placement of iv in sngap.  I know it goes after the consonant and before the vowel, but I'm thinking it may have to be sngivap instead of sivngap. 

TIA for any help you can give me!

Tìtstewan

Sweylu txo zize'ìl sngivap ngat.
A hellwasp should sting you.

sngap is transitive so there should be T and L endings

As for the word order, here:
'A'awa Lì'fyavi Amip—A Few New Expressions -> the "sweylu parts" have some examples. :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Blue Elf

Or you can use simplified version:
zize'ìl sngivap ngat.
<iv> was in the past considered as a wish, what is not case now, but still it is used this way. Both versions are possible, IMHO
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Blue Elf on June 02, 2014, 02:08:19 PM
zize'ìl sngivap ngat.
<iv> was in the past considered as a wish, what is not case now, but still it is used this way. Both versions are possible, IMHO

The <iv> infix also works here as this statement is kind of an imperative statement.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Starfire

Thank you for the input, everyone.  I can see I still have a lot to learn about this fascinating language!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on June 02, 2014, 03:54:08 PM
Quote from: Blue Elf on June 02, 2014, 02:08:19 PM
zize'ìl sngivap ngat.

The <iv> infix also works here as this statement is kind of an imperative statement.

I'm not sure I could ever read a sentence that includes its subject as an imperative sentence. Sentences missing the subject, I'd read as a command with the subject being implied to be the person to whom the speaker is talking. (Unless of course prior context provides that it cannot be a command so the speaker is just too lazy or being too informal to include it.) :-\