zawprrte' and sunu

Started by Vawmataw, January 10, 2017, 07:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

If you use the verb zawprrte', you're likely to say ''zawprrte' oene''. Could it occur in some cases with the verb 'sunu', which means 'bring enjoyment'. We always use the dative but it is absolutely obligatory 200% of the time?
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Plumps

You mean whether zawprrte' could be used with the dative and vice versa?

I don't think so. Because of its origin, zawprrte' comes from za'u which we don't use with the dative either. It's just one of those grammatical things you have to learn ;)

Hahaw[hhvhhvcz]

Almost same as Plumps said,
Sunu means bring enjoyment to/for sbd/sth so dativ is needed since it fits prefectly here.

On the other hand, zawprrte' means come pleasurably to or be enjoyable to comes from za'u nìprrte' so it's used with ne.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $1551 ($396 with sales) (updated 17.3.16)
  • Games owned: 97
  • Games not played: 34 (35%)
  • Hours on record: 1,825.3h

Blue Elf

Quote from: Vawmataw on January 10, 2017, 07:07:01 PM
If you use the verb zawprrte', you're likely to say ''zawprrte' oene''. Could it occur in some cases with the verb 'sunu', which means 'bring enjoyment'. We always use the dative but it is absolutely obligatory 200% of the time?
Sunu can be used even without dative - tsaw sunu is perfectly correct as a general statement not saying to whom something is pleasant. This information can be inferred from the context (oeru or fkoru).
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tirea Aean

It appears to me that the question is, "zawprrte' uses ne, and sunu uses -ru. Can sunu use ne too, based on how similar their definitions are"? To which I say I agree with the above sentients.

I do believe that indeed 200% of the time it's Zawprrte' being used with ne (and not -ru) and sunu used with -ru (and not ne)

Also, I agree that "sunu tsaw" is technically a complete sentence. I think that "zawprrte' tsaw" would be as well.