Started by Na'vin Nos'feratxu, May 13, 2011, 07:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

Well, I stumbled across this while I occasionally "check" for any new updates or possibilities on future Avatar Games and I found this.

QuoteJames Cameron expresses his belief that the video game industry will be a driving force in the adoption of in-home 3D displays and hints at a future Avatar MMORPG in 3D.

We were just talking about Avatar filmmaker James Cameron yesterday, following his reported purchase of 50 Red Epic-M cameras, hopefully for the upcoming two follow-ups to his 2009 smash hit. He's also recently established a company with Vince Pace, who modified the 3D Fusion Camera system used to capture Avatar's 3D. At the formal unveiling of the Cameron-Pace Group earlier this month, Cameron expressed his belief that games will be the driving force in 3D being adopted for home use.

"Videogames are going to be the drivers, but they haven't done so today because the cycle creation has lagged behind," he said, according to Yahoo!'s PluggedIn. "The consumer electronics companies introduced these screens last year, so we're a year into this and it takes 18 months to two years to author a high quality video game. So you're going to see a stampede of video games and then that, in turn, is just going to catalyze more broad scale adoption in the home of these big 3D screens."

Part of the in-home adoption will involve another shift in the technology, toward a glasses-free experience, Cameron believes. "Video games are going to help propel the autostereoscopic (glasses free) play because that's going to be the entry level for most people," he said. "These single-viewing devices that are engaging the person to play these video games will drive a lot of investment in autostereoscopic displays for that very reason. That technology will trickle up to the larger 3D displays that will be used for home viewing and gaming."

Nintendo's recently released 3DS portable gaming device employs the autostereoscopic tech that Cameron mentioned. It's not perfect– your viewing angle needs to be dead on and the device needs to be held steady in order to maintain that effect. It's a first step though; an upcoming Toshiba laptop offers a simultaneous 2D and 3D display without the need for glasses, using a built-in camera and face sensor to automatically maintain the 3D effect.

Cameron has only made minor movements so far in the video game space, with Avatar: The Game. While the Ubisoft-published release fell short in a number of ways, it also got a few things right, particularly in the way it told a story that stood apart from the movie. Cameron mentioned that he hopes we haven't seen the last of Avatar in the video game space, and that he's got plans in that direction moving forward.

"I'd love to do an MMORPG experience inside the Avatar universe and I would like to see it authored in 3D," he said. "I'd like to see people doing gameplay in 3D, so that's something that we're looking to do. But we're not active on that yet."
Source

What ma oeya tsmuk think of this?
It's floated to a few other different sites, I believe there is also a video of Mr. Cameron on this matter, and I am avidly looking for it.
Thoughts?

PS: Im STOKED!!

NotW#82

Eanikran

Yeshhhh! I was hoping for something like this. JC himself being on the dev team, hopefully it will be more like a simulator of clan life on Pandora more than a shooter like cod and such though. this will probably be the only instance I'll pay for a subscription for a game, if it's not free, if it happens.

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

Quote from: Eanikran te Txuronyu Ateyo'itan on May 13, 2011, 09:24:08 PM
Yeshhhh! I was hoping for something like this. JC himself being on the dev team, hopefully it will be more like a simulator of clan life on Pandora more than a shooter like cod and such though. this will probably be the only instance I'll pay for a subscription for a game, if it's not free, if it happens.

If James Cameron himself oversaw the making of it, then you KNOW it would be awesome, flawless and perfect!
Im still trying to dig up more legitimate info on this, so stay tuned :)

NotW#82

Human No More

It isn't confirmed, but I hope it's coming ;D

I will go for this straight away... time to be a Na'vi :)
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

Quote from: Human No More on May 14, 2011, 03:25:40 AM
It isn't confirmed, but I hope it's coming ;D

I will go for this straight away... time to be a Na'vi :)

It's not confirmed, per say...but if J.C. talks about wanting to do it, he will probably do it.
From what I could tell, he wants to dev into the game world with us, and amerce us into the world of Pandora.

It's only a matter of time now, the sequel to the movie, and an MMO which will correspond with all of them.

I too, will go for this straight also, as you said....and yes, it is time to be Na'vi!

NotW#82

Eanikran

If he does work on something like this it'll probably be after at least the second movie is out if not the third. I'm perfectly fine with that. ;D

The very second I hear this is being developed, I'm preordering it instantly. ;D

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

Quote from: Eanikran te Txuronyu Ateyo'itan on May 14, 2011, 09:08:56 AM
If he does work on something like this it'll probably be after at least the second movie is out if not the third. I'm perfectly fine with that. ;D

The very second I hear this is being developed, I'm preordering it instantly. ;D

You and me both tsmukan.
I also must mllte, I dont care how long it takes, as long as J.C. makes it awesome!
Graphics and other graphic engines have come a VERY long way since 2009, you could say its doubled in capability, so if you thought the first Avatar The Game was really good looking....well your in for a surprise!

I would personally like to talk about the possibilities!

NotW#82

Vawm tsamsiyu

I hope The game characters learn to speak na'vi properly.

No more
kaltxì as kalt- see
Or ngahu as n-gaw
Or or tx px kx as t p k

Pak just writing it bugs me  >:(
they killed the [you] tag

Eanikran

O
Quote from: Vawm tsamsiyu on May 14, 2011, 01:32:46 PM
I hope The game characters learn to speak na'vi properly.

No more
kaltxì as kalt- see
Or ngahu as n-gaw
Or or tx px kx as t p k

Pak just writing it bugs me  >:(
or srane as srain ;D

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

haha I remember when I first saw the subtitles, and heard them talk....I was familiar with the basics of Na'vi and I was really confused by this.  ;D

The game was a.....disaster in the language level. It was also sorta a disaster in the gameplay level...rather redundant most of the time.
Although I must admit I enjoyed it because I am such an Avatar Fan.

Now....as for the NEW game. I think they should implement a system that encourages the player to learn Na'vi.
When you begin playing, you should start right of the bat with simple language and as the game progresses the language will start to become second hand to you.
Not to mention the fun times to be had moving across Pandora and seeing all the CGI plants and animals, hunting, gathering, surviving!
RDA should have a presence both good and bad RDA.

Of course we cant speculate about what all James Cameron is going to do with the Sequel to Avatar the Movie, we simply dont know anything as far as, It will take place on land but mostly the Pandoran Sea. No real specifics other than that.

So the first part of the MMO should begin on land, in a Clan of your choosing.
I think the Clans should have a large impact on the fights against the RDA, working together but being separate etc.

I can tell you know, Im going to spend the next few years day dreaming about the possibilities...My imagination is huge.  ;D   

NotW#82

DJ Makto

I really hope this happens--but done right.

Being a long time veteran and player of MMO games, I have seen a lot of MMOs based on TV and movie franchises fall flat for various reasons: flawed mechanics, limited expansion of the existing storyline, developers more focused on making money and subscriber counts rather than retaining existing players through creating compelling worlds/sandboxes to play in.   

There is a lot potential for an Avatar MMO, if its done right... I really hope that James Cameron takes a more involved role in helping shape it, as it would increase the probability of it being something great. Provided it does not detract from Avatar 2-3. :P

Technowraith

This sounds interesting. I wander if it will be Faction based, such as World of Warcraft's Horde vs. Alliance with the Na'vi Vs. Humans. Or at least have the ability to the story/game from each side. Hoping they are creative enough to have enough material to draw off of, for the core story plus future expansions.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

We can only hope, but info is scarce right now, and we might not here about it for a while.
But I'll keep looking and when I find something I'll bring it here :)

NotW#82

bommel

I thought about doing something like this myself :P

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

Quote from: bommel on May 18, 2011, 09:22:17 AM
I thought about doing something like this myself :P

Well, its never too late Bom!
I am actually looking to make a few threads for official info and progress of any Avatar games.
Would you like to pitch in with me and do them together?

NotW#82

Technowraith

I know there's a Pandora Oblivion mod for Elder's Scrolls: Oblivion. Saw it posted around here somewhere. While not MMO style, it gives a hint at the caliber of effort that's being put into making Avatar game mods. We're gonna have to wait and see what comes forth with the MMO proposals being made and such.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

bommel

The huge amount of work was the reason why I cancelled my project. I hope they don't ruin it ;)

Human No More

Quote from: Na'vin Nosferatu on May 14, 2011, 03:13:07 PM
haha I remember when I first saw the subtitles, and heard them talk....I was familiar with the basics of Na'vi and I was really confused by this.  ;D

The game was a.....disaster in the language level. It was also sorta a disaster in the gameplay level...rather redundant most of the time.
Although I must admit I enjoyed it because I am such an Avatar Fan.
I liked the gameplay - nothing like killing some skypeople when you're sad or angry ;D
It was more the storyline itself that I didn't like, as well as the language failures.

QuoteNow....as for the NEW game. I think they should implement a system that encourages the player to learn Na'vi.
When you begin playing, you should start right of the bat with simple language and as the game progresses the language will start to become second hand to you.
Not to mention the fun times to be had moving across Pandora and seeing all the CGI plants and animals, hunting, gathering, surviving!
Do want -that would be really helpful, I think :)
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Palulukan Maktoyu

Have you tried the Multiplayer in the avatar game? Surprisingly i did once and found myself about 20 mins later with about 3 or 4 other people that had joined the server suddenly and we had a good beat down of the rda players! heheh sadly although ma tsmuke Unil Täftxuyu has said playing the RDA side of the game was really fun as well, i never could bring myself to doing it.

Fkol syaw oeru Palulukan Maktoyu Ta'lengean

Twitter: https://twitter.com/navi_wotd

Eana Unil

Maybe the Multiplayer mode is fun aswell, but I can't believe that it would be as much fun as inside a real Avatar MMORPG.
Screw SL, screw the Avatargame Multiplayer, Screw MC, I want that MMORPG now.

Although I know that I'll spend most of my spare time online inside this virtual world, hehe. Dang.