Avatar: the Game not a good resource

Started by Srereu Aynantanghu, January 03, 2010, 12:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Srereu Aynantanghu

I just finished playing through the Na'vi campaign in the game... I found the pronunciation given by the voice actors to be terrible  >:(
They ignore the tx px kx in favor of just t p k, never use the glottal stop, pronounce ts as z, sometimes don't pronounce vowels in word-final position, and more then once I heard Irayo pronounced as Ireyo.

Either I'm totally out to lunch on how I think things should be pronounced, or they really phoned this one in. I don't think it would be a good idea to use sound clips from the game as phonetic reference material.
Luckily there are always subtitles, and it looks like they may have used some new words in the game, so in terms of lexicon and grammar there may be things to learn.

Has anyone else played it and gotten the same impression I did?  :(

Loti

I haven't played yet, but my friends have, and apparently there are character names that have B's in them(!)
Judging by what you say I wouldn't use the game as a learning resource, either. The VA's probably tried their best but I doubt they had the same intensive study session as the film actors. :3

Srereu Aynantanghu

yes, that's right, one of the more important characters is named Beyda'amo. I was so concerned that they pronounced it Beydamo I didn't even notice the letters that aren't supposed to be in there

Maweya tirea

That makes me sad. I wish movie games were better.
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I wish they had taken their time with the video game. They wanted it to be released the same time as the movie for advertising, but if they knew it was going to do this good I bet they would have waited and actually taken their time and developed a much better product. Avatar had the perfect premise to be a great game, instead we just got your typical movie video game with little effort. Maybe the next one will be better.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

kxanì tsamsiyu

Well with any luck when Avatar 2 comes out they might release a new game with it and this time it has the potential to be Great.

The last game wasnt that bad but it wasnt great it was just plain average.  :-\

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Exactly, Avatar deserves more than just an average game. It needs something amazing! It revolutionized the film industry it should at the very least make a spark in the game community!
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Maweya tirea

God síltsan lu!!!!!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I think the next game shouldn't follow Avatar 2's story line in the slightest. One of the big problems with video games based on movie is you already know where the story is going. If the game had its own story it would flesh out the world of Pandora more, perhaps a game that takes place before the twatute come or something along those lines.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Maweya tirea

Yea, you could follow the story of the first toruk makto and that way we could learn what the first time of sorrow was.
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Yes that would be amazing, it's canon that there have been five times of Great Sorrow so we'd have a lot to work with!
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Hufwe Makto

its kinda funny how every game based of a movie blows except the star wars ones. they're not too bad. i really hope they make a quality game with graphics similar to what you see in the movie. and yes the technology exists. just take a look at CoD MW2, Gears of War 2, Halo 3, and any other quality game you can think of...

Maweya tirea

God síltsan lu!!!!!

Tanhì Tireafya'o

What about they'd do it the other way?
They first make an epic game followed by a movie? (Would probably still suck)
It is just that they stick to the storyline too much. They should let it go sometimes. Just leave you alone in that great forest and do things you'd like to do but with some story. Instead of forcing you to do this and then to do that and later you should do this first and than that again.

Son of The Eastern Sea Ikran Tribe

Pandora, is all our earth could have been

Hufwe Makto

They have done that with prince of Persia sands of time and are planning to make a halo movie. But yeah the story line is incorporated into the game way too much. Why not create a nice RPG? Maybe like fallout after the humans have destroyed their planet and some na'vi have survived in a bunker something. Now they are overseeing the restoration project of pandora using human technology. That would be pretty awesome...

kxanì tsamsiyu

Yes i have heard about the Prince of Persia movie it looks OK. They where making the halo movie years back then they decided to cancel and now nobody knows what they are doing with the halo movie. But maybe with the new technology that Avatar (the holy grail of movies) has given us maybe they could accomplish something with the halo movie but very unlikely.

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 03, 2010, 04:47:00 PM
I think the next game shouldn't follow Avatar 2's story line in the slightest. One of the big problems with video games based on movie is you already know where the story is going. If the game had its own story it would flesh out the world of Pandora more, perhaps a game that takes place before the twatute come or something along those lines.

I completely agree with this. It should not follow the movie's story line and take its own route and expand the world Pandora.

Eyaye Tskxe

From what I know, the Halo movie hasn't been cancelled, but has been put on an indefinite hiatus. Alternatively, there's a fellow by the name of Peter Cooper who is making a Halo fan film called Operation Chastity. I've been following it for a while, and it is looking very nice.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I would not get my hopes up about Prince of Persia, there has yet to be a movie based on a game that really holds up. I doubt it'll be any different.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Txepa-utral Atxkxe

Quote from: Maweya tirea on January 03, 2010, 04:50:16 PM

Yea, you could follow the story of the first toruk makto and that way we could learn what the first time of sorrow was.

This would be friggin' epic. And hopefully, they could spend more time on the voice work, since there wouldn't be as much pressure to RELEASEITNAOW!!! I wouldn't expect a second game to really put a 'spark' in the game industry...just to be better than painfully average like this game.
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.--Oscar Wilde

Tefpakyu

An Avatar RPG would be epic, like it gives you an open environment in the forest and surrounding area, start off as a grunt similar to Jake Sully and let you do whatever you want from there after you've passed basic training, kinda like Oblivion with Pandora instead. THAT would be epic.
-Tefpakyu-