Language mistakes in the game?

Started by Reiey fpi Sìtaron, November 11, 2010, 11:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reiey fpi Sìtaron

I was just playing Avatar on xbox, and realised that one of the Na'vi in it is called "Beyda'amo". I've never noticed it before, but "b" and "d" aren't in the Na'vi language? Surely his name should be "Peytxa'amo" or something of the like? Its just knit picking really, but is there any explaination for this?

Human No More

Srane, the game seems to use an earlier version of the language, I noticed a few mispronunciations and words that just didn't seem right (can't remember any specifically as I'm still not that great at Na'vi :( )
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Carborundum

Quote from: Human No More on November 12, 2010, 08:20:37 AM
Srane, the game seems to use an earlier version of the language, I noticed a few mispronunciations and words that just didn't seem right (can't remember any specifically as I'm still not that great at Na'vi :( )
I'm not sure it was an earlier version so much as someone on the developing team making stuff up at random without consulting Frommer.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Ngawng

Yeahhh a few important words are pronounced really weirdly haha.

Like:

tawtute --> "tawtoot"
srane --> "srain"

I must say I lol'd while playing the game.

29.f.australia

Txantslusam Skxawng

Quote from: Ngawng on November 13, 2010, 08:37:46 AM
Yeahhh a few important words are pronounced really weirdly haha.

Like:

tawtute --> "tawtoot"
srane --> "srain"

I must say I lol'd while playing the game.
Yea I heard those two a lot  like that
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Tirea Atstunwi

Srane. I agree gith you. As i wrote at:  Community Projects / Learning Resources / Re: A Learn Na'vi Game. On: November 11, 2010, 05:57:10 am, I encountered the same mistakes in this game but (oe krrnekx hrrap wrote me that): you should never use the game as a resource. And i agree with him.

Ngawng

I agree, the games shouldn't be considered canon

29.f.australia

Human No More

They aren't even canon in terms of storyline. Even the Survival Guide (which is canon) contains a few mistakes in the language.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Tsamsiyu92

Beyda'amo - no Bs or Ds, and the " 'a " in the middle could be ommited, because there was no 'a pronounced there
Tan Jala - no Js.
ng as two sounds - it's only pronoucned as one sound, like in sing.
nì'awve as an adjective - it's an adverb, meaning first(ly), like in "first, i want to..." 'awvea mokri would be the correct one here.
Tsteu armor - it's tstew, and how can a piece of clothing be brave?
Iknimaya - it's a rite, not a place name, and in addition, there should be Ikrans involved.
Va'era ramunong - is there a adjective called va'er or a missing genitive after va'era here? Or is it made up arbitrarily.

...i could carry on forever.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Tsamsiyu92 on December 08, 2010, 11:41:03 AM
Beyda'amo - no Bs or Ds, and the " 'a " in the middle could be ommited, because there was no 'a pronounced there
Tan Jala - no Js.
ng as two sounds - it's only pronoucned as one sound, like in sing.
nì'awve as an adjective - it's an adverb, meaning first(ly), like in "first, i want to..." 'awvea mokri would be the correct one here.
Tsteu armor - it's tstew, and how can a piece of clothing be brave?
Iknimaya - it's a rite, not a place name, and in addition, there should be Ikrans involved.
Va'era ramunong - is there a adjective called va'er or a missing genitive after va'era here? Or is it made up arbitrarily.

First one might be a theoretical misinterpretation of "Peyta'amo", or the more illegal "Peytaamo"
Second one could be rewritten either as "Tan Yala" or as a more illegal "Tan (D)Zhala"
Fourth one: "armor" isn't even a Na'vi word, although it is a noun, and can be modified thusly.  "Tsteu" is an older spelling of "tstew".

...anyway, we get the idea.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

oh the game (which all have all now lost :P) was ok, but definately not at the top of the list.  if you look at it like a game, without looking at the movie and the language, then its not bad at all.  but if you start to pay attention to the language and storyline of the movie, then it becomes a real sh**fu**.  anything in the game, especially the pronunciation, should never NEVER be used as a source.
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.