Anybody else notice this? **spoilers**

Started by Eanikran, January 16, 2010, 11:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eanikran

So I just got back from seeing avatar a 4th time ;D
but

or am I missing something?  :P

Txonyä'ite

According to the field guide the amplified mobility platform has a positive pressure breathing/filtration apparatus that activates when the suit is activated. (by moving the left fore-finger and thumb in a specific motion) Therefore it seems to me that filtered air was pumping before the canopy even closed. Maybe they are saying that it pumps fast enough to sufficiently fill the canopy quickly. Further since Pandoran air is denser it would fall down by Quaritch's feet and the lighter breathable would rise. 

Just a theory though. It is a very interesting observation though!

Quote from: Txonyä'ite on January 16, 2010, 11:50:31 PM
According to the field guide the amplified mobility platform has a positive pressure breathing/filtration apparatus that activates when the suit is activated. (by moving the left fore-finger and thumb in a specific motion) Therefore it seems to me that filtered air was pumping before the canopy even closed. Maybe they are saying that it pumps fast enough to sufficiently fill the canopy quickly. Further since Pandoran air is denser it would fall down by Quaritch's feet and the lighter breathable would rise. 

Just a theory though. It is a very interesting observation though!

I agree with you there, Txonyä'ite. I think that the enclosed cab of the AMP suit would already have safe filtered air inside it and so when the AMP suit opened for Quaritch, there wouldn't be a whole lot of Pandoran air going inside I guess? And maybe it pumps filtered air quite quick, this is the 22nd century they're in :)

Eanikran

Txep Txelan

Actually, he does the 'hold his breath' thing 3 times in the movie:

1) When the fugitives are taking off, he grabs a marine's machine gun, yells "Masks on!" (lol) and then kicks the airlock open, runs out, empties the machine gun and his personal pistol at the escaping helicopter all while holding his breath, when another marine comes out on the walk way and hands him a breathing mask.

2) When the air in the dragon is compromised he does take a deep breath from the drop down mask and then runs over and blows the hatch, shoots Jake, then gets in the AMP suit, all while holding his breath.  He then closes the AMP suit cockpit cover, which seals the AMP suit and activates the integrated breathing filters on the suit (that's why the AMP suit pilots in the final battle aren't wearing breathing masks).  It filters and clears the air inside the cockpit almost as fast as a breathing mask activates when the chin switch is activated. 

3) In the final battle, when Jake rams the remnants of Quaritch's rifle knife through the cockpit window, it still makes a seal, but he takes in a deep breath just before pulling it out of the glass, which is then compromised and lets in the outside air.  Once he pops the canopy, which is too shattered to allow him to see Jake well enough to fight, he has to put on a personal breathing mask, as he wouldn't be able to hold his breath for that long. 

4) One funny thing I love is how, when he's getting in the AMP suit and his right shoulder is on fire, he just kind of pats it out like it's just a slight nuisance.  Like, "oh my shoulders on fire, probably should address that sometime soon."  Whereas any normal person would be like, "Ahhhhhhh, my shoulder's on fire!!!! <stop, drop and roll>  He really was a great antagonist.   :)
"Mawey na'viyä mawey!" - Neytiri

Eanikran

Haha I imagine Jake popping up and going 'uhhh buddy, you're on fire.' :D

Txep Txelan

I always picture the subtitle for the scene where Jake is hanging from the weapons pod on the dragon as, "I'm gonna rip off your missile and beatcha to death with it!"   ;D
"Mawey na'viyä mawey!" - Neytiri

Tutean-tìhawnu

Quote from: Txep Txelan on January 17, 2010, 04:02:25 AM
I always picture the subtitle for the scene where Jake is hanging from the weapons pod on the dragon as, "I'm gonna rip off your missile and beatcha to death with it!"   ;D

I always imagine him thinking something along the lines of: "Um... Oops... Hey, high-ex warhead *insert lightbulb/idea "pling" sound here*"
Kìyevame ma aytsmuktu, Eywa ngahu

join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Nawma 'eveng

The only thing that surprises me is that no stray bullets have hit Jake when hes landing on the Valkeyrie (spell check plz)?
And in addition, me thinks that we are taking the movie way too seriously...it is science fiction after all. James Cameron needs to thank his lucky stars that he made everything pitch-perfect-ly realistic, since we are analyzing the elements of this movie so closely.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: Nawma 'eveng on January 17, 2010, 08:47:31 AM
The only thing that surprises me is that no stray bullets have hit Jake when hes landing on the Valkeyrie (spell check plz)?
And in addition, me thinks that we are taking the movie way too seriously...it is science fiction after all. James Cameron needs to thank his lucky stars that he made everything pitch-perfect-ly realistic, since we are analyzing the elements of this movie so closely.

Everything people are able to think up is in one way or another able to be accomplished.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Txonyä'ite

^exactly  ;D

For example last night at work an inorganic chemist was telling me that unobtanium (SC?) as described in the movie was impossible and could not exist. I had him read the field guide on the topic (it was in my purse lol) and even he had to admit that while the magnetics and some other elements are pseudo science, it could happen.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Plus Cameron really saved his ass by calling it "sci-fi fantasy" meaning a few things can be "impossible" and still work.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Calling things impossible only sets limits to life... and limits suck. People used to think that magic light coming out of a glass tube was impossible too.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it