Na'vi Species older or younger than the human species?

Started by Swok Txon, January 08, 2010, 04:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swok Txon

I was wondering if the Na'vi species was older or younger than the Human species.

The human species hasn't been around for very long (about 2 million years) and i was wondering if the Na'vi would be an older race...

If it turns out the humans were an older race i would be like NUUU!!!!!!!

But if the Na'vi are the older race that kind of insights they aren't as tech savvy as the humans maybe a way of thinking or the lack of certain resources

anyhow fire away

Toruk Makto

2 million? Wow! I guess you start counting earlier than I do (I start at homo sapiens at about 160 thousand years ago)

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

OmegaQ1

i dont know for sure how old the human race is but i do know that the Na'vi race is roughly about 10,000 years old
It's my job to keep you alive. I will not succeed. -Colonel Quaritch

Toruk Makto

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Swok Txon

yeah wow where did you get the information?

crap that means the Na'vi are a younger race then the ignorant humans in the movie!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

omängum fra'uti

There was apparently a line origianlly in the screenplay which says they have lived in hometree since before human history began.  Of course, then you get into the debate of what counts as "human history" - recorded history, or any human at all?
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

OmegaQ1

Quote from: Txepäsiyu on January 08, 2010, 05:44:23 PM
Where did you find that?
im pretty sure its on the website that was dedicated to like advertising the movie and give background on the movie to build excitement or something for before the movie would come out in theaters,i just looked for the url and im not sure if this is the site but it might be it(avatarmovie.com)there should be something about a news reporter telling about whats goin on on the moon pandora and stuff like that
It's my job to keep you alive. I will not succeed. -Colonel Quaritch

Bekepam Taronyu

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 08, 2010, 07:32:56 PM
There was apparently a line origianlly in the screenplay which says they have lived in hometree since before human history began.  Of course, then you get into the debate of what counts as "human history" - recorded history, or any human at all?
probably before recorded history, just to pwn the human race at lifestyle.
silentsniper- "no-sound hunter"- bekepam taronyu

Reronsem Si

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 08, 2010, 07:32:56 PM

Recorded Human History starts roughly between 30000 BCE to 3000 BCE. All depends on what you consider recorded history. Cave paintings and sculptures or a form of writing (3000 BCE). Though the Homosapien and earlier species have been on this planet much longer than that. Based on the "recorded" human history, that would put the Ometicaya as a clan at 32154-5154 years old. Very large gap. I would be guessing written history, since cave paintings weren't used as much as recalling the past, but instructions of what to do during the hunt.

My guess based on the above quote is that the Ometicaya people are 5000+ years old. As for the Na'vi as a species, that would be unknown. It's really hard to figure it out when you have to take into account technological advancement and compare necessity of the Humans to create technology to adapt and the necessity for the Na'vi to create technology to adapt. Just because the Na'vi appear to be more tribal and less advanced doesn't make them younger, it could be that technology need not be so advanced to survive on Pandora.

Tirealì'u

Heck, for all we know, the Na'vi are the descendants of an ancient species that had a high level of technology, who genetically engineered the Pandoran environment and the lifeforms on it - and themselves - to create a giant biotech-based network, so that they could live away from their former society.

Or they've been around for 100,000 years or something, slowly developing.

Or around for a long time, but are unable to develop further.

Txontaw

Quote from: Tirealì'u on January 08, 2010, 08:56:58 PM
Heck, for all we know, the Na'vi are the descendants of an ancient species that had a high level of technology, who genetically engineered the Pandoran environment and the lifeforms on it - and themselves - to create a giant biotech-based network, so that they could live away from their former society.

Or their lifestyle was perfect, and they don't need to develop further.

It makes you wonder how long they've lived like the are now; same technology, same customs.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Bekepam Taronyu

Quote from: Txontaw on January 08, 2010, 09:03:07 PM

Or their lifestyle was perfect, and they don't need to develop further.

It makes you wonder how long they've lived like the are now; same technology, same customs.

or it could be.... THE MATRIX (too long to get into it) DUH DUH DUHHHHHHH....  :o

Txontaw

"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Bekepam Taronyu

haha. well as i said in the possible sequel topic, the next movie they will most likely get into culture, lifestyle, history ect.

Swok Txon

Txontaw

Quote from: Bekepam Taronyu on January 08, 2010, 10:58:52 PM
haha. well as i said in the possible sequel topic, the next movie they will most likely get into culture, lifestyle, history ect.

Yeah, I think that that would be the most plausible theory for Avatar 2.

'Tsamsiyu

Or around for a long time, and realises what happens with too much development.
Tsamsiyu oe lu. Ngeyä krr lu hasey.

'There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much' - Dr. Grace Augustine

'I dreamt I was a Warrior that could bring peace... sooner or later though... you always have to wake up...'

GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Niawve Mokri

Quote from: OmegaQ1 on January 08, 2010, 05:43:42 PM
i dont know for sure how old the human race is but i do know that the Na'vi race is roughly about 10,000 years old

Oh my! I never thought they were that old!