ARG! Haters make me Hate! >:(

Started by Robert Nantangä Tirea, August 01, 2010, 06:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekirä

Who would choose vampires over fairies?  :)

One is dark and gloomy the other is light and cheery. Guess which one is which. ;D

Tuteyä amuiä 'itan

Quote from: Ekirä on August 06, 2010, 04:47:25 PM

One is dark and gloomy the other is light and cheery. Guess which one is which. ;D

.... i choose C the blue and awesome!!!

Seykxetskxe te Vawm 'Ewan'ite (Kalin Kato)

Txura Rolyu

Srane i get the look from oeya sempul everytime i am on my computer talking or learning Na'vi. He says "use the energy for a real language". I would love to get the Pandora Blueskin shirt and wear it around my college campus once i move in just to see if anybody would get it. I also wanna start an Avatar/Outdoor entusiast club. Get outdorrs and be with our Earth mother while we still have her... she may not be here long.
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Dreamlight

Quote from: Ekirä on August 06, 2010, 04:47:25 PM

Fairies FTW!

Fairy Ring - Singh Kaur & Gary Stadler
http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

Robert Nantangä Tirea

Quote from: Ekirä on August 05, 2010, 04:07:10 PM
I get THE LOOK when I tell people stuff in Na'vi. Then I get stuff like "it's only a movie," and "why don't you learn a real language?"

I've given up trying to explain to people the correlation between speaking a language and it being "real". If someone speaks it, it's a real language. It's not a ahrd concept to grasp.

Why don't we all speak the same language all the time? Because for cultural reasons we prefer to speak to certain people in different languages. Well, Na'vi fans are a sub-culture so it's only reasonable that they have their own language to speak in.

Tbh, the rest of the world is just jealous.  ;D

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Nyx

Quote from: Robert Nantangä Tirea on August 07, 2010, 01:30:25 AM
Haha, I think you're right ^^

I've gotten some comments that I still just can't believe. The other day I had this conversation:
"So what have you been up to?"
"Learning some more Na'vi"
"You mean 'making up some more Na'vi'"

And it reminded me of about half a year ago when I said something about how interesting it is to learn a language with such a limited vocabulary, and I got the question "can't you just make up some words then?"

I think the facepalm needed there is just physically impossible

Ekirä

Quote from: Nyx on August 07, 2010, 08:30:41 AM
I've gotten some comments that I still just can't believe. The other day I had this conversation:

And it reminded me of about half a year ago when I said something about how interesting it is to learn a language with such a limited vocabulary, and I got the question "can't you just make up some words then?"

Now that is infuriating. Do these people really believe we make up words at our convenience??  >:(

Payä Tìrol

It's done all the time in natural languages. Technically we do too with a lot of tì- nouns, since that prefix is not supposed to be productive. It's just, when we do this, it's not considered canon. In a natural language, canonicity (is that even a word? :P) is determined by consensus; in a conlang, by its creator.
Oeyä atanìl mì sìvawm, mipa tìreyä tìsìlpeyur yat terìng

Lolet

Quote from: Nyx on August 07, 2010, 08:30:41 AM
Quote from: Robert Nantangä Tirea on August 07, 2010, 01:30:25 AM
Haha, I think you're right ^^

Neanderthals.  ;)

Dreamlight

Quote from: Payä Tìrol on August 07, 2010, 09:39:31 AM
It's done all the time in natural languages. Technically we do too with a lot of tì- nouns, since that prefix is not supposed to be productive. It's just, when we do this, it's not considered canon. In a natural language, canonicity (is that even a word? :P) is determined by consensus; in a conlang, by its creator.

Sometimes.  Consider Esperanto.  Its creator intentionally and purposefully turned over control of the language to its speakers.

Payä Tìrol

Well Esperanto is different. It's purpose was to create a region-neutral language designed for communication. It only makes sense that its evolution would be handed to its speakers :P
Oeyä atanìl mì sìvawm, mipa tìreyä tìsìlpeyur yat terìng

wm.annis

Quote from: Dreamlight on August 07, 2010, 07:08:45 PM
Its creator intentionally and purposefully turned over control of the language to its speakers.

This is only partially true.  Zamenhof did step down as controller of Esperanto, since he wanted to avoid the problems that developed with Volapük.  But control of the language was handed over to the Akademio de Esperanto.  Speakers can't just do whatever they want.  Most Esperantists have a terror of alterations to the language that would impede understanding across groups, and across time.  The Akademio exists to allow Esperanto to grow as needed without interfering with understanding (a sort of backwards compatibility).

Dreamlight

Quote from: wm.annis on August 08, 2010, 07:47:03 AM
Quote from: Dreamlight on August 07, 2010, 07:08:45 PM
Its creator intentionally and purposefully turned over control of the language to its speakers.

This is only partially true.  Zamenhof did step down as controller of Esperanto, since he wanted to avoid the problems that developed with Volapük.  But control of the language was handed over to the Akademio de Esperanto.  Speakers can't just do whatever they want.  Most Esperantists have a terror of alterations to the language that would impede understanding across groups, and across time.  The Akademio exists to allow Esperanto to grow as needed without interfering with understanding (a sort of backwards compatibility).

True.  In fact, too true.  In my not so humble opinion it is not growing enough.

Mako

Quote from: Robert Nantangä Tirea on August 01, 2010, 06:44:16 PM

It's like I need a shirt that says on the front:
- I like AVATAR!
and on the back it says:
- I already know you liked the visuals but hated the story.
- I already know you think it's Dances with Wolves in Space.
- I already know you think anything blue is a smurf.
- I already know you think James Cameron is rich.
- I already know you think 3D is a fad.
- I already know you are a movie critic and purist.
- I already know you think Titanic was better.
- SO PLEASE DON'T BOTHER MENTIONING IT!

Seriously, if Payoeng (seabass) made a T-Shirt like that I would buy it and take a picture of myself in public wearing it!

I second this motion.

Txura Rolyu

who watns to make that shirt? i would pay for it :)
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Nyx

I would if I could... Maybe this should be suggested as merch for the site?

Seykxetskxe te Vawm 'Ewan'ite (Kalin Kato)

Txura Rolyu

Kxamtxon Tsamsiyu

O.o I must have that shirt, it will be truly epic.

"First it was just orders, then everything changed.." ~Jake Sully
Neytiri & Jake