Avatar and Aliens: same Universe?

Started by Ayfa'liyä omumyu, December 24, 2009, 02:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Txankamuse

The first Alien film takes place in 2122. The sequels Aliens and Alien 3 both take place in 2179.  Avatar takes place in 2154 - the three movie timelines therefore overlap.  Furthermore, RDA have been on Pandora for at least 20 years and it takes 6 years to get to Pandora, so the first ISV would have left Earth no later than 2128, and to be honest the ISVs probably take a long time to build :)  I personally view it unlikely that given the overlapping proximity of the timelines, the huge organisations described in both films would have appeared and disappeared so rapidly.  But I suppose I won't discount that it's possible :)

Will
Txo ayngal tse'a keyeyit, oeyä txoa livu.  I am learning Na'vi too!
If you see a mistake in my post please correct me!

Please help on the Movie Lines in Na'vi wiki page

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

I don't want to discount your theory either, I suppose we just have to wait for Cameron to make AvAvP then huh.  :D
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

TorukMakto!

By having those similarities, Cameron opened a big possibility of options, such us having Na'vi , Aliens and Humans in the same movie in some kind of a storyline.
But until Cameron himself confirm that Na'vi and Aliens happen in the same Universe , all of this is wild speculation. .

Ayfa'liyä omumyu

Quote from: Will Txankamuse on January 24, 2010, 12:43:45 PM
The first Alien film takes place in 2122. The sequels Aliens and Alien 3 both take place in 2179.  Avatar takes place in 2154 - the three movie timelines therefore overlap.  Furthermore, RDA have been on Pandora for at least 20 years and it takes 6 years to get to Pandora, so the first ISV would have left Earth no later than 2128, and to be honest the ISVs probably take a long time to build :)  I personally view it unlikely that given the overlapping proximity of the timelines, the huge organisations described in both films would have appeared and disappeared so rapidly.  But I suppose I won't discount that it's possible :)

This is a pretty compelling argument. Well done. I think it essentially settles the matter unless we had more information (which we don't). I suppose it is possible, for example, that Weyland-Yutani was a parent company, or a competitor to the RDA and they may have merged or bought out one another to some extent. In this way they could have both the "good" and "bad' cop on the street and reap the rewards of both (using Weyland's name for less savory, military or black-ops work). This wouldn't violate the ICA ruling, either, since the nukes and military presence employed in Aliens were in fact governmental Colonial Marines, not company security, and any resources (experimental xenomorphs) would still ultimately be managed by the RDA.

Of course, the real point of the matter is that they're all bought up by Wal-mart around 2340 anyway... ;P

ShadowedSin

I believe Pandora was the first out of Sol System planet to be explored. Which kind of breaks what we see in Aliean. Plus, if we are using mechs as a basis of comparison then your forgetting the entire mecha genre. Evil Corporations, that would be Cyberpunk. Things can be related, and can be entirely different in basis. That's why we have genre.
\Shadow's Sin
A Blog discussion Amazon and notes for the Arrow Child Novella!

Arrow Child
An Online Serial Novel and the first story in the Amazon Diaspora Saga.

Suteyä Hawnuyu

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawntsaheylu on January 24, 2010, 11:47:25 AM
Quote from: Suteyä Hawnuyu on January 24, 2010, 09:11:04 AM
I am hoping that you are wrong. The movies are just so different, and the universes are so different. Merging the two would be unnatural looking, strange, and utterly disappointing.

If you read the first few pages you would see all the similarities XD.

I saw the first few pages. Even the similarities seem different to me. :P
Suteyä Hawnuyu te Gay'tä Muiä-Eyaye'ite

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Txur'Itan on December 29, 2009, 10:55:30 PMAvAvP The FPS.

SEGA (or rebellion, I don't know which on of them) is claiming that the new AvP will have powerful mod tools...  :-X

Reav

I've been a fan of the whole Aliens story for a while.
They show lots of similarities with Avatar that is true but... I just think it wouldent ''fit'' in the whole Avatar storyline.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

hmm dangerous animals, alien planet, space marine, space ships, future guns, sigourney weaver, evil corporation. seems to all line up to me
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawntsaheylu on February 04, 2010, 06:43:14 PM
hmm dangerous animals, alien planet, space marine, space ships, future guns, sigourney weaver, evil corporation. seems to all line up to me

Yes, in a way, yes indeed.
The big question is, do the fans, both of them , want to see this combination or not?

Brainiac

Quote from: TorukMakto! on February 04, 2010, 08:32:44 PM

The big question is, do the fans, both of them , want to see this combination or not?
but I'd like to see Jake or Neytiri manhandle an Alien-alien  ;D
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Tsa'räni

I don't.  What possible reason could there be for combining them other than, and please excuse the term, creative masturbation?

What is it that makes Avatar so special to so many people?  The beautiful, exotic Pandora and Na'vi.  The neolithic, strongly-connected-to-the-planet feel that many people can identify with because of a disillusionment, on some level, of how humans treat each other and the environment.  A love story that contains a forbidden element.  And so many more things...but they all follow a general "feel".

But how is that compatible with Alien?  Do you want to see big ugly aliens running around Pandora?  Or how about seeing the beautiful Na'vi running around on a dark, industrial, and slimy world overrun by aliens?

It just doesn't make any sense unless you're George Lucas.  The only thing that can happen when you take two polar opposites like Alien and Avatar and combine them is unmitigated disaster.  They might as well just hand the budding Avatar franchise over to Lucas if they want to do that.

Brainiac

Quote from: Tsa'räni on February 05, 2010, 08:53:17 AM

I don't.  What possible reason could there be for combining them other than, and please excuse the term, creative masturbation?

What is it that makes Avatar so special to so many people?  The beautiful, exotic Pandora and Na'vi.  The neolithic, strongly-connected-to-the-planet feel that many people can identify with because of a disillusionment, on some level, of how humans treat each other and the environment.  A love story that contains a forbidden element.  And so many more things...but they all follow a general "feel".

But how is that compatible with Alien?  Do you want to see big ugly aliens running around Pandora?  Or how about seeing the beautiful Na'vi running around on a dark, industrial, and slimy world overrun by aliens?

It just doesn't make any sense unless you're George Lucas.  The only thing that can happen when you take two polar opposites like Alien and Avatar and combine them is unmitigated disaster.  They might as well just hand the budding Avatar franchise over to Lucas if they want to do that.

Oh, great. Another lucas-hater. How original  ::)

anyway: "Humans running around on Pandora" could also count as "big ugly aliens running around Pandora", no?

Tsa'räni

Except the entire concept of Avatar is based around a human/Na'vi confrontation.  It's integral to the world and the story.

Brainiac

Quote from: Tsa'räni on February 05, 2010, 09:10:30 AM
Except the entire concept of Avatar is based around a human/Na'vi confrontation.  It's integral to the world and the story.
Yes, but not necessarily for Avatar 2, methinks.

Tsa'räni

Quote from: Lì'uyä täftxuyu on February 05, 2010, 09:11:31 AM

For the hardcore fans, no.  To make a movie that successfully follows up the original Avatar's general appeal?  Yeah, they'll have to do something with humans.  But that's actually beside the point.

I'm curious to see how people would like to see Aliens integrated into Avatar.  Let's say there are no humans in Avatar 2.  We've got aliens now.  Tell me about the movie and why it's going to work.

Brainiac

Quote from: Tsa'räni on February 05, 2010, 09:17:23 AM
Quote from: Lì'uyä täftxuyu on February 05, 2010, 09:11:31 AM

For the hardcore fans, no.  To make a movie that successfully follows up the original Avatar's general appeal?  Yeah, they'll have to do something with humans.  But that's actually beside the point.

I'm curious to see how people would like to see Aliens integrated into Avatar.  Let's say there are no humans in Avatar 2.  We've got aliens now.  Tell me about the movie and why it's going to work.
That is actually a very good question. lemme think about for a while.

Ayfa'liyä omumyu

While my friends and I like to muse over various scenarios which combine the two - might we say? - mythologies, I know with fair certainty that I would not want to see them combined in a film. However... I would not mind at all if there was some mild reference in a future film which hinted at some crossover, à la the Alien skull which can be seen in the trophy room in Predator 2. Just so long, of course, that it didn't mean a crossover film down the road.

Ftiafpi

Forgive me if it's already been mentioned but AvAvP would be hilariously badass for the soul reason that we would get to see a Na'valien (Alien born from a Na'vi)... Totally going to rough photoshop that now on my lunch break, brb.

Ayfa'liyä omumyu

Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 05, 2010, 11:45:02 AM
Forgive me if it's already been mentioned but AvAvP would be hilariously badass for the soul reason that we would get to see a Na'valien (Alien born from a Na'vi)... Totally going to rough photoshop that now on my lunch break, brb.

Ha! Well, a co-worker did comment the the other day, with reference to Aliens, something to the effect of "You know somewhere on Pandora there's a tribe of Na'vi whose mounts are black and shiny..." This led to the inevitable discussion of how such a tribe must certainly have a symbiotic relationship with the Alien. How they might willingly and ritually serve as hosts, to bring about a rebirth of the spirit through sacrifice of the body... or somesuch.