Started by Suteyä Hawnuyu, January 16, 2010, 11:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsu'roen

http://avatar.typepad.com/entry/6a0128755f6728970c01310f736d9e970c?fbid=1-dy3MclbAU

"Avatar Vs. Hurt Locker With adjusted costs for technological developments, Avatar's budget could have financed about thirty-two films like The Hurt Locker. Of course, with it's current box office gross, Avatar could have made itself ten and a half times, while The Hurt Locker would only manage to make four fifths of a twin.
As any indie director could tell you, it's the Avatars of the industry that make The Hurt Lockers happen. To ignore Cameron's film would be a black mark against the Academy and a grave oversight—it is a remarkable technical achievement—but its inclusion in the Best Picture category makes for an odd addition, perhaps a concession to its popularity and not its overall artistry. The outcome of the Best Picture and Best Director awards will be a telling sign of the attitudes of Academy members. While the Oscars have somewhat successfully maintained a balance between honoring art vs. science, its an uneasy high-wire act that may, this year, result in a really splendid smashup. While hesitant to make predictions, I'm guessing the Academy will split the top two honors, giving Bigelow the gold man for Best Director before Cameron walks away with Best Picture. Anything else in this race is fair game. (via http://www.boiseweekly.com/Cobweb/archives/2010/03/05/the-showdown-of-avatar-vs-the-hurt-locker)"
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

10x (1x 2D, 3x Real 3D, 6x IMAX 3D)
1x Special Ed. (1x IMAX 3D)

Kayrìlien

ORLY? Thanks for letting me know; I don't like talking out my txìm, so that's rather good to know.

And yeah, I dunno, the whole "SCOREBOARD!" thing comes from being in the band back in high school...we used to intimidate the other school's football team all the time. The most memorable time was when the team from Brawley, CA came to play us in the semi-finals, so we painted a giant message on the wall overlooking the field that read "It doesn't matter if we win or lose, at least we don't live in Brawley!".

Kayrìlien

Tsu'roen

Quote from: Eaite Randjam on March 07, 2010, 11:19:16 PM
Would you all be saying the same thing about the black director had Precious won the award?  Don't use labels to explain away why the movie won, please.
Honestly - I would have preferred Precious had won the award instead the Hurt Locker - regardless of the skin color or sex of the Director. It surely had a better message than Hurt Locker
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Depressing movies always win.

It is sad that they had to parade (what was her name again?) out to show off the "I am woman, hear me roar" -- "You go girlfriend!" message. If HL was a "great movie," yaay. Then let it win without all of the excess drama of "oh this is a historic moment." That actually takes away from the movie by saying that the only thing a win is good for is to empower women, more than they are already empowered. Women can direct a movie just as well as men--all other things being equal--so it is no big deal that a woman wins. It IS a big deal that the Academy sucked us all in to watch that crap-fest of unfunny jokes and four hours of my life I will never regain.

But Avatar never stood a chance.
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Tsu'roen on March 07, 2010, 11:28:26 PM
http://avatar.typepad.com/entry/6a0128755f6728970c01310f736d9e970c?fbid=1-dy3MclbAU

"Avatar Vs. Hurt Locker With adjusted costs for technological developments, Avatar's budget could have financed about thirty-two films like The Hurt Locker. Of course, with it's current box office gross, Avatar could have made itself ten and a half times, while The Hurt Locker would only manage to make four fifths of a twin.
As any indie director could tell you, it's the Avatars of the industry that make The Hurt Lockers happen. To ignore Cameron's film would be a black mark against the Academy and a grave oversight—it is a remarkable technical achievement—but its inclusion in the Best Picture category makes for an odd addition, perhaps a concession to its popularity and not its overall artistry. The outcome of the Best Picture and Best Director awards will be a telling sign of the attitudes of Academy members. While the Oscars have somewhat successfully maintained a balance between honoring art vs. science, its an uneasy high-wire act that may, this year, result in a really splendid smashup. While hesitant to make predictions, I'm guessing the Academy will split the top two honors, giving Bigelow the gold man for Best Director before Cameron walks away with Best Picture. Anything else in this race is fair game. (via http://www.boiseweekly.com/Cobweb/archives/2010/03/05/the-showdown-of-avatar-vs-the-hurt-locker)"

Interesting stats.
From a scale of 1-10, I wonder how jelous are those academy members.

Utrayä Mokri

Whatever, Hurt Locker won only one best picture oscar, But Avatar won oscars we all have inside ;) Thats much important and valuable.
Merhaba! Hello! Mae Govannen! Kaltxì!

Oel tsati omum nìngay san Utral Aymokriyä sìk, slä oe zamup mì tìyawn plltxea Neytiriyä na san Utrayä Mokri sìk.

Fya'o Tskoyä

The Hurt Locker was a joke at best. Another war movie gathering sympathy by using the main char as the sole embodiment of everything that is happening over there. Its been done before MANY TIMES and most times better.  *cough*saving private ryan*cough* The only reason why it got the awards it did, was because she was a woman, plain and simple. The thing that shows the most about a good film, is HOW MUCH IT MAKES. Avatar made 2.5 BILLION with little commercial or advertisement, was all word of mouth, while the hurt locker, barely made it past its budget.

Its another one of those pitty movies where we are at war and the soldiers go through a lot, blah blah. BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

One of Avatar's key features is that it strays AWAY from all of that. That peace, nature, oneness with everything and everyone, is the sole prowess of the film. It had an AMAZING cast, Amazing acting, Amazing effects, AMAZING SOUNDTRACK .sure the plot was one we've seen before, but its all about the EXECUTION of it.  James Cameron did this so well that the whole world loved it. To say that it is a rip off of old movies and is pochahontas blah blah, is a blatant disregard for ANY artistic movie criticism.

Hurt locker can have its awards, James cameron eats stacks of 100's for breakfast now, and you can bet that studios will sponsor his movies because we know what he can do.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Awards aside, I will say this one more time:

Even sparkly vampires wish they were Na'vi. As far as the gold man--well . . .  gimme a few minutes.

2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Tsawke'ong

Kaltxí! That is epic... :) Twilight was... not my favorite movie. I do wish that I had time/talent to turn a picture of myself into a Na'Vi :)
"Every beauty which is seen here by persons of perception resembles more than anything else that celestial source from which we all are come."

Tsu'roen

The Hurt Locker
Worldwide Gross: 18.1 *106 USD
US DVD Sales: 11.8 *106 USD

Worldwide Gross $2.6 *109 USD
DVD Sales: let's see when it finally comes out  ;D

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on March 07, 2010, 11:43:10 PM

Even sparkly vampires wish they were Na'vi. As far as the gold man--well . . .  gimme a few minutes.

Lol. We've been over this pic...

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Utrayä Mokri

Quote from: Tsawke'ong on March 07, 2010, 11:44:32 PM
Kaltxí! That is epic... :) Twilight was... not my favorite movie. I do wish that I had time/talent to turn a picture of myself into a Na'Vi :)

Here is the link shows how i did my avatar. Maybe helps?
http://www.navice.info/tutorial
Merhaba! Hello! Mae Govannen! Kaltxì!

Oel tsati omum nìngay san Utral Aymokriyä sìk, slä oe zamup mì tìyawn plltxea Neytiriyä na san Utrayä Mokri sìk.

Ikabob

Quote from: Utrayä Mokri on March 07, 2010, 11:51:05 PM
Quote from: Tsawke'ong on March 07, 2010, 11:44:32 PM

Here is the link shows how i did my avatar. Maybe helps?
http://www.navice.info/tutorial

Wish I had photoshop lol...

But back on the awards... I still think the movie impact should be taken into effect.  Worldwide Avatar hit harder than Hurt Locker all day I would think.  There are some parts of Hurt Locker that I could see hitting harder with people associated with the military, but overall the impact of Avatar outdoes that of Hurt Locker imo.
When college takes up all your time... What can you really do?

Skype: Ikabob13         PSN: TR4NZ-N1GH7M4R3        Steam: N1GH7M4R3

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on March 07, 2010, 11:47:03 PM

But you seem to be under the impression that everyone here reads every post. Most of the best posts are missed by 99% of the members. So it is time to share a little love with those who missed it--IF (and it is) it is timely.

To wit:

This is "as it should be." All the rest is commentary.

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on March 07, 2010, 11:56:19 PM
Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on March 07, 2010, 11:47:03 PM

But you seem to be under the impression that everyone here reads every post. Most of the best posts are missed by 99% of the members. So it is time to share a little love with those who missed it--IF (and it is) it is timely.

To wit:

This is "as it should be." All the rest is commentary.

Lol. I meant it as an inside joke anyways.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Tsu'roen

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on March 07, 2010, 11:56:19 PM
... Most of the best posts are missed by 99% of the members. ...

That's because we have WAY TOO MANY sub-forums - and some people have a life besides being here and scanning every thread in every sub-forum ...

Tsamsiyu Atsteu

I think you hit the nail on the head here with your very astute assessment. The war movies have been done to death, and all follow the same, predictable format. Avatar presents a unique group of ethical and moral questions (human greed, disrespecting the planet, and so on) and brings to light the delicate balance of nature and all that dwell within. There was a serenity to it, a sad truth as well. Looking at earth in Avatar I fear that is where we are headed with rampant mining and deforestation. The acting was incredible. As was the musical score. I cried at quite a few scenes. That is no small thing. My sempul is a movie critic (his buddy actually knows James Cameron) and he has written that into some of is reviews, because I'm rather stoic and don't cry easily. This movie moved me emotionally and spiritually. There are deeper messages that the critics either can't or won't fathom.

Quote from: Fya'o Tskoyä on March 07, 2010, 11:42:20 PM
The Hurt Locker was a joke at best. Another war movie gathering sympathy by using the main char as the sole embodiment of everything that is happening over there. Its been done before MANY TIMES and most times better.  *cough*saving private ryan*cough* The only reason why it got the awards it did, was because she was a woman, plain and simple. The thing that shows the most about a good film, is HOW MUCH IT MAKES. Avatar made 2.5 BILLION with little commercial or advertisement, was all word of mouth, while the hurt locker, barely made it past its budget.

Its another one of those pitty movies where we are at war and the soldiers go through a lot, blah blah. BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

One of Avatar's key features is that it strays AWAY from all of that. That peace, nature, oneness with everything and everyone, is the sole prowess of the film. It had an AMAZING cast, Amazing acting, Amazing effects, AMAZING SOUNDTRACK .sure the plot was one we've seen before, but its all about the EXECUTION of it.  James Cameron did this so well that the whole world loved it. To say that it is a rip off of old movies and is pochahontas blah blah, is a blatant disregard for ANY artistic movie criticism.

Hurt locker can have its awards, James cameron eats stacks of 100's for breakfast now, and you can bet that studios will sponsor his movies because we know what he can do.
To live in the past is to die in the present.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Curioser and curiouser . . .

It is so important to "have a life" (which, for most people means watching TV, working at a job they don't like, and having difficulty either paying bills or finding a suitable mate, interestingly enough--which indicates that "having a life" is not a passion worth pursuing), but I have witnessed enough creative brilliance and wit here to fill a few volumes, and maybe even create a small fortune, should one be interested in any such things. It is to the loss of those who have not been able to see the gems this website has created. In all of it's glory and specatcle, the "Movie" Avatar has also created a humble location for brilliance to flourish and grow in the fertile soil of cooperative and friendly minds.

I don't know about you, but i have seen the world outside, and that life is far more unpleasant than the one I have found here. If not for this place, I would never have created all that I have, have yet to finish, or even that which I have yet to dream up. And as to other's creations, I can only hope that my humble contributions live up to the greatness that has preceded me here. No, I have no interest in any 'life" that includes corporate servitude and endless wage-earnings for millionaires I shall never meet. I do so like it here, where I can frolic with intelligent minds.

:)

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on March 07, 2010, 11:43:10 PM

lol epic!
ke plltxe ngeyä kawng tìrey lu

Tsu'roen

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on March 08, 2010, 12:10:30 AM
Curioser and curiouser . . .

It is so important to "have a life" (which, for most people means watching TV, working at a job they don't like, and having difficulty either paying bills or finding a suitable mate, interestingly enough--which indicates that "having a life" is not a passion worth pursuing), but I have witnessed enough creative brilliance and wit here to fill a few volumes, and maybe even create a small fortune, should one be interested in any such things. It is to the loss of those who have not been able to see the gems this website has created. In all of it's glory and specatcle, the "Movie" Avatar has also created a humble location for brilliance to flourish and grow in the fertile soil of cooperative and friendly minds.

I don't know about you, but i have seen the world outside, and that life is far more unpleasant than the one I have found here. If not for this place, I would never have created all that I have, have yet to finish, or even that which I have yet to dream up. And as to other's creations, I can only hope that my humble contributions live up to the greatness that has preceded me here. No, I have no interest in any 'life" that includes corporate servitude and endless wage-earnings for millionaires I shall never meet. I do so like it here, where I can frolic with intelligent minds.

:)
TV, internet and a job that I DO like ;D (though it still could pay better as life here is outragous expensive :'()
As for finding a mate :'( - that's outdoors activity and way to expensive, time consuming and stressful anyway ...