Started by Suteyä Hawnuyu, January 16, 2010, 11:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Consider yourself ahead of the curve my friend. No matter what they would have you believe--the majority of the world is not "happy and fulfilled" (which is why we should all probably invest in pharmaceutical companies).
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Tsu'roen

"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

10x (1x 2D, 3x Real 3D, 6x IMAX 3D)
1x Special Ed. (1x IMAX 3D)

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on March 08, 2010, 12:10:30 AM
Curioser and curiouser . . .

It is so important to "have a life" (which, for most people means watching TV, working at a job they don't like, and having difficulty either paying bills or finding a suitable mate, interestingly enough--which indicates that "having a life" is not a passion worth pursuing), but I have witnessed enough creative brilliance and wit here to fill a few volumes, and maybe even create a small fortune, should one be interested in any such things. It is to the loss of those who have not been able to see the gems this website has created. In all of it's glory and specatcle, the "Movie" Avatar has also created a humble location for brilliance to flourish and grow in the fertile soil of cooperative and friendly minds.

I don't know about you, but i have seen the world outside, and that life is far more unpleasant than the one I have found here. If not for this place, I would never have created all that I have, have yet to finish, or even that which I have yet to dream up. And as to other's creations, I can only hope that my humble contributions live up to the greatness that has preceded me here. No, I have no interest in any 'life" that includes corporate servitude and endless wage-earnings for millionaires I shall never meet. I do so like it here, where I can frolic with intelligent minds.

:)

Well said,

Whenever you see something that worthy, I'd just say make a comment or even just simple bump it up so others could witness it, indeed it's not easy to "scout" all there is , even for those who got more free time.

archaic

Quote from: Tsu'roen on March 08, 2010, 12:24:04 AM

TV, internet and a job that I DO like ;D (though it still could pay better as life here is outragous expensive :'()

You have a job you like? That puts you a very long way ahead of me and most everyone else on this planet!

Quote from: Tsu'roen on March 08, 2010, 12:24:04 AM

As for finding a mate :'( - that's outdoors activity and way to expensive, time consuming and stressful anyway ...

Trust me, good ones will cross your path from time to time, 4 times for me, 4 times I messed up. plus a few maybes, and a few no way in hells!
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

El Jacko

Hate to barge this back to topic, but I have an opinion.

Avatar got 3 oscars, so it wasn't a complete loss. But considering the competition, I think it still did quite well. We could have expected it to win far more, but be reasonable. How many times has Cameron won in the past? He can still bash out a crackin film, but he's had his reward by now.

IMHO, the Hurt Locker was brilliant. No word of a doubt, it deserved all it won, and perhaps more.

Avatar was an excellent film, but I think 3 oscars, world record gross and whatever awards it'll scrape out of the Golden Globes are reward enough. We know its good, thats all that really matters.
'Look at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us...on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam' - Carl Sagan

Kesìltsamsiyu

Phase I: IPTG -> GFP
Phase III: Avatar Botany

Tsa'räni

Quote from: El Jacko on March 08, 2010, 02:45:54 AM
Hate to barge this back to topic, but I have an opinion.

Avatar got 3 oscars, so it wasn't a complete loss. But considering the competition, I think it still did quite well. We could have expected it to win far more, but be reasonable. How many times has Cameron won in the past? He can still bash out a crackin film, but he's had his reward by now.

IMHO, the Hurt Locker was brilliant. No word of a doubt, it deserved all it won, and perhaps more.

Avatar was an excellent film, but I think 3 oscars, world record gross and whatever awards it'll scrape out of the Golden Globes are reward enough. We know its good, thats all that really matters.

Do you think HL deserved both sound awards?  I'm asking because you've obviously seen HL (I haven't) and I really expected Avatar to win at least one of the sound awards.  It's hard to compare, though, when I haven't seen HL.

Edit - Oh btw, I guess I'm really asking for more detail on why you think HL deserved the two sound awards.  Your post clearly says you feel it deserved all it won, I just fail at retaining anything longer than 10 seconds.

Tsu'roen

"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

Kìte'eyä Aungia

My issue with The Hurt Locker is this: It's a quasi-political movie about the war that makes no comments on the war at all (so no one can possibly disagree with it), and its protagonist lacks depth and is obviously constructed to appeal to the American audience (ranger from the south, idiot but comes off as incredibly heroic, nice to kids, etc.). IMO, these shortcomings make The Hurt Locker nothing more than a good action move. It had great direction, the camera work was excellent and makes you feel like you're watching camera coverage of real events, but it was still just a good action movie, and I think Avatar was a better one. 

And it completely ninja'd the sound technical awards. Avatar and Star Trek were up for both of them, and in their case, because of extensive use of cgi, practically every sound you hear was specially mixed and edited.

It won Best Director and Best Motion Picture at the Golden Globes.

Tsu'roen

The reviews of the Hurt Locker from Soldiers who were in Iraq are quiet devastating. For a movie that claims to be an accurate picture about the war it must be horribly inaccurate by the account of those who must know it because they have been there and done that.

Here is just one example:
Quote from: Amazon.com by B. KoprivaI was deployed as a Combat Engineer in Baghdad with the 1st Cav division Feb 04 - Feb 05. I found this movie was very Hollywood. They did a nice selection in the location of the film as it did look a lot like Baghdad. However, the story line was too flawed. I was a bit confused why the soldiers were wearing ACU uniforms as, while I was there, those were not issued. The film supposedly was taking place in 2004. Soldiers were still wearing the DCU uniforms in 2004. I was highly disturbed by the portrayal of the main character having no accountability. He seemed to go where ever he wanted, when ever he wanted and did what ever he wanted without having to answer to a higher commander. This of course, any veteran, anyone in the military, will tell you simply does not happen. There is always someone that you have to answer to for your actions. When he snuck off of post to find Beckhams father was just absurd and pure Hollywood. I was disturbed by the scene with the team of EOD guys drinking. Alcohol was forbidden and still is. Of course there were many soldiers who obtained alcohol, but by and large, most did not drink. To see an entire "team" sharing booze together just was not very realistic. The team also always seemed to operate independently. They never seemed to be with anyone else and never had support. Watching the three of them clear a building by themselves was silly. Why was ther enever any supporting infantry units? They traveled by themselves in a lone hummer. In 2004, if I remember correctly, we were not allowed outside the wire unless we were in a convoy of at least 3 vehicles. All in all, this was a pure Hollywood film and certainly does not live up to the billing as being the most "realistic" Iraq war movie so far.

If making a movie about an actual war they should keep it as accurate as possible or fiction becomes fantasy

Reav

Utter Bulls***.
Really that is all the Oscars are.
A bunch of top line ''critics'' haha, Bunch of top line retards bending over to have their behinds licked for a favor of voting for what ever movie.

Don't listen to the crap people, this is all about who likes who and not about the movies.
And Mr Jim being the ego centric guy he is, pissed them all off the last time he was there.

I've seen the Hurt Locker and its a good at best WAR movie.
War movies have been done to death.
There are plenty of better War movies out there.

Avatar though has similarities with other story lines from other movies/books, had such a HUGE impact on the whole planet.
People went back again and again to see it.
People love it.
In a years time who's going to give a s*** about the Hurt Locker?
Bet my ass that there will still be Millions if not Billions of Avatar fans still anticipating the sequel that must happen.

These people that voted for the crapy war movie clearly are not in touch with the people.
Online Money figures show this.

The Hurt locker never even made it past Twilight or Up in those sort of scales, people who liked War movies went to see it, that is all.
Avatar was a movie that everyone liked - Which is incredible considering its a really deep sci-fi movie. I've seen this first hand, my friends who are not interested in Sci Fi loved it, even my Family whom I took to see it enjoyed it.
Would they enjoy the Hurt Locker? Not really.

anyway rant off

Kemaweyan

Pxasìk! Fa peu ayfo fpìl? Ayfo ayskxawng längu >:(
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

archaic

Quote from: Kemaweyan on March 08, 2010, 06:20:14 AM

Pxasìk! Fa peu ayfo fpìl? Ayfo ayskxawng längu >:(

Mawey ma Kemaweyan mawey.
(Even if you are right.)

Master Sgt. Jeffrey Sarver, bomb disposal in the Iraq war is planning to sue the The Hurt Lockers' makers, claiming Will James (the film's lead character) is based on him.
That the call signal, "Blaster One," was his during his tours of duty and claims Mark Boal (the movie's screenwriter), was embedded with his unit and that the information he gathered was used in the film.
Sarver also claims to have coined the phrase The Hurt Locker.

Time to give back the award for Original Screenplay? Read the unabridged article here....
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100303/ap_en_ot/us_hurt_locker_lawsuit

Personally I'd have probably given it most of the awards, everything except the following.....

-Best animated feature

-Best animated short

-Best documentary feature (unless you know something I don't)

-Best documentary short

-Achievement in makeup (Even if the makeup was very well done.)

-Best live action short (I'll admit, at over 150 minutes it's not technically a short movie)

-Adapted screenplay

-Best foreign language (but if Avatar2 is all Na'vi with subtitles...?) ;D
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Kerame Pxel Nume

El Jacko

Quote from: Tsa'räni on March 08, 2010, 03:19:38 AM
Do you think HL deserved both sound awards?  I'm asking because you've obviously seen HL (I haven't) and I really expected Avatar to win at least one of the sound awards.  It's hard to compare, though, when I haven't seen HL.

Edit - Oh btw, I guess I'm really asking for more detail on why you think HL deserved the two sound awards.  Your post clearly says you feel it deserved all it won, I just fail at retaining anything longer than 10 seconds.

Of the ones it won, the sound ones were probably the most significant.
Avatar's sound was, as you say, dubbed to fit the CGI (tedious at best), but can be made mostly with stock sound effects of various animals, and sounds as one would expect it to sound.
The sound in HL was...well, clever would be the best word. Subtle attenuation after explosions, faint tinnitus rings, bullt trails, etc. Like avatar, it was what you would expect it to sound like, but added the extra layer of what happens to your hearing in reality.
'Look at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us...on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam' - Carl Sagan

'Tsamsiyu

Many people on here have argued why Avatar is better than the Hurt Locker, but a lot have said the same reason. That Avatar can make more money.

To me that doesn't make a difference,  I'd rate many films above Titanic before Avatar was released but Titanic made more money.

I don't really care what the award ceremonies say, sure it would have been nice for Avatar to pick up  a handful more Oscars, as it clearly deserved them but to be fair, Award ceremonies are dying.

Slumdog Millionaire stormed it last time, I won't disagree it was a great film, but it was quite a smalltime British film, there were barely any HUGE American films that stormed award ceremonies last year. Maybe some would view it as grabbing at straws, some wouldn't.

Anyway, back to my thoughts. I don't care what happens and what critics really say, while I may get annoyed and a bit hot-headed at some skxawng judging a film I like, I still love the film. The thing with Avatar is that, even without winning all the awards, it has still touched and affected people all over the world. For me, it is more than a film; like James Cameron has said, It's more of an experience. Myself, being an 'emotionless teenager' as some would say (:P), have never been so moved and had such an impact from something like this.

From what Avatar has done for me, It didn't matter what it won or lost.
Tsamsiyu oe lu. Ngeyä krr lu hasey.

'There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much' - Dr. Grace Augustine

'I dreamt I was a Warrior that could bring peace... sooner or later though... you always have to wake up...'

GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

'Itan Atxur

Look at it this way: 25 years from now, which movie will people still remember? Hint: It doesn't start with an "H".

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

'Tsamsiyu

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on March 08, 2010, 09:42:59 AM
Look at it this way: 25 years from now, which movie will people still remember? Hint: It doesn't start with an "H".

Exactly, if to you it is better, than it doesn't matter what anyone else says or thinks. Everyone is entitled to an Opinion. Mine? Avatar > All.
Tsamsiyu oe lu. Ngeyä krr lu hasey.

'There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much' - Dr. Grace Augustine

'I dreamt I was a Warrior that could bring peace... sooner or later though... you always have to wake up...'

GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Fya'o Tskoyä

It's been a rough start to the week for "The Hurt Locker." On Monday, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences penalized one of the film's producers because of e-mails he sent urging academy members to vote for his movie.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100303/ap_en_ot/us_hurt_locker_lawsuit

evidence that the academy is PURE POLITICS AND bulls***

as far as the sound goes (because ive seen people talk about this) CGI movies are one of the hardest moves  to make and implement sounds in. Nearly EVERYTHING has to be made espcially for the movies, even more so when most of the sounds dont exist on this earth (the animals mostly). In Avatar, the low boomy noises came out of the screen and punches you in the chest, the ambience made you feel like you were there in the forest, alive. the animals sounded ferocious and intimidating. Sure most of the sounds were based on real animals and vehicles, but that is because James Cameron himself wanted to create a movie that was not only alien, but also homey.

The hurt locker was nothing but another war movies using sounds and lighting that we see/hear everyday. It was just another political movie trying to to make money off My brothers and sisters struggle overseas.

Like many have said before, the movies is both no true to life and the main char has no dept and too much free will. I served in the Army's 227th aviation, and i am here to tell you , if ONE man risks his life he risks everyones life. The HL was pure show that was done a million times before and better by others.

Txonyä'ite

I thought it was very telling in the article posted above when it was pointed out that Citizen Kane won no oscars (though it was nominated for nine) and How Green was my valley won BP. I have seen both films and up to this point I have been under the impression that Citizen Kane was in fact a BP winner.

I think the real test is, as pointed out by ìtan Atxur, is which film in fact remains relevant.

(and whether Sarver wins his civil suit. Preponderance FTW)