Started by neosis666, January 31, 2010, 06:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawntsaheylu on February 02, 2010, 04:05:59 PM
Man I wonder how much the next two avatars are going to make XD
Depends on how many Ewoks ILM sneaks in. (You know Lucas is pissed)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on February 02, 2010, 08:57:16 PM

pfff if Lucas wants to compete..... I say bring it on! Just feel bad for SW fans if he does that.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: TorukMakto! on February 03, 2010, 12:27:34 AM

pfff if Lucas wants to compete..... I say bring it on! Just feel bad for SW fans if he does that.

SW fans can kiss my blue butt! :) They had their day. Avatar is the new series. It's more than special effects and mystic voodoo. It carries layers of messages, and NO Ewoks!
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

magne

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on February 03, 2010, 01:43:30 AM
Quote from: TorukMakto! on February 03, 2010, 12:27:34 AM

SW fans can kiss my blue butt! :) They had their day. Avatar is the new series. It's more than special effects and mystic voodoo. It carries layers of messages, and NO Ewoks!
Rather pull your tail :o  The last three movies had no Ewoks, only Jar-Jar Binks :(
Guess Avatar 2 will do well as long as they avoid a gulf war 2 sort of movie (the son of the hero in the first one against the same villain and lots of cool new weapons in a final batle)

Toruk Makto

Looks like Avatar just passed Titanic in domestic sales, too.

Wowsers!

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Technowraith

I don't think anyone in their right mind envisioned this happening, especially when reading the pre-release hype. Many people thought avatar was going to bomb horribly. I think they're taking their words with a grain of salt now.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Tsa'räni

I was skeptical of Avatar after watching the previews.  I usually find that movies using very "done before" plot archetypes don't appeal to me.  So I expected to love the special effects, but feel pretty "meh" about the story, and walk out feeling just average about the movie as a whole.

But for me, Avatar is really greater than the sum of its parts.  And that's rare for me, so I think it speaks to Cameron's vision and skill.

Technowraith

Quote from: Tsa'räni on February 03, 2010, 07:39:28 PM
I was skeptical of Avatar after watching the previews.  I usually find that movies using very "done before" plot archetypes don't appeal to me.  So I expected to love the special effects, but feel pretty "meh" about the story, and walk out feeling just average about the movie as a whole.

But for me, Avatar is really greater than the sum of its parts.  And that's rare for me, so I think it speaks to Cameron's vision and skill.

Truthfully, i was hooked when i saw the first trailer. But even despite the prospect of "recycled plots" i came to Avatar with an open mind. If the first showing didn't pique my interest, i would have never bothered to see Avatar 22 times. Cameron's talent at story telling through movies is astounding. Though plot-wise Avatar is dated, I loved the movie enough to enjoy the fan-boy nerdiness i'm suffering from now. ^.^  ;D

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Technowraith on February 03, 2010, 07:45:30 PM
. . . Though plot-wise Avatar is dated, I loved the movie enough to enjoy the fan-boy nerdiness i'm suffering from now. ^.^  ;D

Given the age of Avatar, or how many years JC has been trying to get it made, I am not surprised the plot feels a bit "used" and "done before." The basic plot was probably in his head even before he filmed Titanic. I am hoping that the extra time it took to get around to making Avatar gave JC time to rehash the plot over and over--I am thinking of the whole trilogy here--and refine points he was no longer in love with. As an author, I find that books, and other design concepts, that are frustratingly long from conception to completion undergo massive changes, even though the core ideas stay the same. It really would be good if the DVD has a solid discussion with JC about his thoughts in making Avatar. I know he can be candid and fun, "I'm king of the world!", so it is not impossible to wish for a healthy dose of his thoughts on the script. Oh well, hopefully time will reveal all.

Technowraith

I'm definitely thinking that Cameron has a plan for the sequels. He's probably more than well aware at what the critics thought of the plot. So when the sequels come out, hopefully he plans on using different story arcs or creating some new ones even. WWith his level of talent, we all know very well that Cameron will probably send us something that is both interesting and well made.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Technowraith on February 03, 2010, 09:11:01 PM
I'm definitely thinking that Cameron has a plan for the sequels. He's probably more than well aware at what the critics thought of the plot. So when the sequels come out, hopefully he plans on using different story arcs or creating some new ones even. WWith his level of talent, we all know very well that Cameron will probably send us something that is both interesting and well made.

We can indeed hope for that.
Critics probably have the same feeling when salt gets in contact with a wounds, Avatar did great, I don't think the Cameron thought it'll do like that.

Funny thing, few days ago was the first time I saw the actual trailer, I don't know why some critics/people didn't like it , for me it looked lik a movie that I'd def watch, and I did so ! )

Txontaw

Yeah, somehow I doubt that Avatar 2 will be a military action movie. I bet it will be pretty much completely about the Na'vi. It will definitely (it better) have some more info on the Na'vi culture.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Txontaw on February 03, 2010, 10:17:53 PM
Yeah, somehow I doubt that Avatar 2 will be a military action movie. I bet it will be pretty much completely about the Na'vi. It will definitely (it better) have some more info on the Na'vi culture.

It's one of the possibilities that Avatar can go to and make sense that will see more Na'vi features but, there is so much that can be done , Cameron got alot of options to choose from.

Eltusiyu

2,074 ... :) maybe with end of the February Avatar will reach 3 billion  ;D

Kxangangang! - Oeyä Pìlok leNa'vi

Previously called Kxrekorikus

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Even if it doesn't the DVD sales alone will set that over the top, not including merchandising.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Kayrìlien

http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/blog/42-avatar-earnings-sink-titanic

From the above link:

...The worldwide gross of "Avatar" is now twice the gross domestic product (GDP) of the entire country of Greenland. Actually, the gross of "Avatar" ranks higher than 29 other countries GDPs, including Belize, Liberia, and East Timor...

Scary, isn't it?

Kayrìlien

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawntsaheylu on February 04, 2010, 05:44:00 PM
Even if it doesn't the DVD sales alone will set that over the top, not including merchandising.

Most defintely.

QuotePosted by: Kayrìlien 
Insert Quote
http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/blog/42-avatar-earnings-sink-titanic

From the above link:

...The worldwide gross of "Avatar" is now twice the gross domestic product (GDP) of the entire country of Greenland. Actually, the gross of "Avatar" ranks higher than 29 other countries GDPs, including Belize, Liberia, and East Timor...

Scary, isn't it?

Kayrìlien

That's some crazy stats.
Scary in a good way or a bad way ?

Technowraith

The sick part is that merchandising has barely just begun.  :o

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Technowraith on February 04, 2010, 08:27:08 PM

Is there even an official publisher and a place that sell official Avatar merch?

Technowraith

Quote from: TorukMakto! on February 04, 2010, 08:30:28 PM
Quote from: Technowraith on February 04, 2010, 08:27:08 PM

Is there even an official publisher and a place that sell official Avatar merch?

The only official merchandising i'm aware of is the Noble Collection and it's several replica items from Avatar. Includes Jewelry, and the bone knives.

Walmart had the Avatar toys on sale, but for some reason they were pulled off the shelves about 3 weeks ago. That may be different now.

McDonald's had the Avatar happy meal toys. Jake, Neytiri, A Pa'li and i think some other animal.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm