Avatar overtakes Avengers: Endgame as highest grosing movie of all time.

Started by archaic, March 14, 2021, 05:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archaic

Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Toliman

Yeah, true

Now just hope that Avengers: Endgame will be not re-release someday too ;D (anyway I don't care too about it, Avatar is the best movie for me independently on this :D )

archaic

QuoteOverall, "Avatar" now has a lifetime box office total of $2.83 billion, putting it approximately $36 million ahead of the total for "Avengers: Endgame."
Found on yahoo entertainment, here .....

Toliman

Toliman

archaic

Cool, just a shame the number of theaters showing Avatar reduced so much so fast.

QuoteIf it does get another world wide re-release before the sequels I think we could see Avatar be the first movie to reach 3 billion dollars
Quote from: archaic on March 20, 2021, 05:42:28 PM
I wish that Avatar will become the first movie to break US$3bn box office.

Toliman

Yeah, that is true

First movie to reach 3 billion dollars - it would be great!

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Avatar seems to be coming back in theaters this Friday (yay). I must admit that I haven't been keeping up to date with the exact details, but I did hear a commercial advertising its release. I have been trying to avoid spoilers, as I wanted to experience the same magic as I did back when I saw the first movie.

Now, as mush as it is "fair" to compare one movie against each other as the "highest grossing" of all time, it seems to me that Endgame was a bit gamed. It had the entire MCU slate of movies, and phases one and two (and three? -- I just watch the movies, I didn't keep track of Spidermath) to serve as advertisements for people to come see what the big finale was like. In the same way that The Return of the King sold more tickets than The Fellowship of the Ring, it seems that "new pwoplww" want to come, or are dragged along by their friend(s), spouses, or the crowd to see the final installment of any franchise.

In this sense, it would make more sense to put the final numbers for Avatar 17 (brought to you by Disney!) against Endgame. By contrast, Avatar was an unknown. I remember; I am old. I was there. Comparisons to Kevin Costner movies, damned hippy environmentalists, and "it's like World of Warcraft—big deal, the movie trailer looks like a video game" were rampant. On the day I saw the movie (December 18th, opening day in San Diego), there was hardly a line. I forget what the "big movie" at the megaplex was that day—but that is the point. Avatar was kind of a sleeper. A really big budge sleeper, but *no one* imagined JC would be "King of the World!" again, especially so soon.

So, my point is . . . How fair is it really to do a direct comparison? With Avatar coming back out in theaters (like Star Wars (1977)) did so many times, I can imagine it will claw its way closer to four billion dollars before being quasi-retired in favor of its sequels. But it came out of nowhere! Any MCU movie (even Iron Man) had decades of movies and comics as a build up. Hopefully Avatar will put this matter to rest once and for all, until the cost of movie tickets gets so high that every movie will make a billion dollars just because it costs a small fortune to take your family to a screening. Hopefully we can get a lot of repeat viewings and viewers. I wonder if my local megaplex can sell me a "season pass" to see Avatar every weekend for the next three months  :)

I don't see Endgame having the same fan loyalty and longevity, as it is "part two" of a finale of several movies you have to see to appreciate—and Disney has already pissed off a LOT of Marvel fans with their new slate of TV shows and movies. Avatar is a standalone film that should, like the original (1977) Star Wars, age like fine wine, flaws and all. But I tend to think that Avatar has less flaws than the '77 movie.

So yeah, whether or not we get to 4 million any time soon, it is going to take a franchise sequel to "sink the boat" that is the number one movie ever, and before that JC gave us the boat!

What do you think?

KP  :)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

archaic

I'll be uncharacteristically brief, pretty much every movie that Avatar is suposed to be the same as, is basically the same as Pocahontas. And Pocahontas was based on a true story.

Toliman

Avatar Re-Release Proves Its Box Office Success Was Never a Fluke
https://screenrant.com/avatar-box-office-success-repeat-not-fluke/

Avatar made a huge splash in its recent box office re-release, proving there's still demand for the movie, even 13 years after its original release.