When Avatar will be remove from Theater !

Started by Hufwe ta'em, February 13, 2010, 11:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hufwe ta'em

When they will remove avatar from theater ?
Soon... i don't think so because they still making money with the movie and i remember Titanic they keep it almost 5 month on theater ...
But i read on the IMAX website last week to see Avatar 3D www.imax.com

I really want to see it again after many time i saw it and one of my friend come in march and we want to see it in 3d still !!!

Kayrìlien

I would imagine that Avatar will remain in regular theaters for a couple more months at least, or as long as it continues to rake in the big bucks. I went to see it again today, and the theater was sold out. It's February 13th. The movie came out in December. Sold out. No joke.

Its future in IMAX might be shorter, though, because Alice in Wonderland is being released next month, and it will likely replace Avatar in the majority of theaters. But...if it ends up being terrible, I see no reason why the theaters wouldn't revert to Avatar, simply for purposes of revenue.

Either way, I'd say you have a month, easily, to see it, and probably up to three months. It all has to do with Alice's release date, which unfortunately I do not know.

Eywa ngahu,

Kayrìlien

edit: Does the 100 posts dance...I have an Avatar body now! W00t!

Col Quaritch

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Tiniwinatan on February 14, 2010, 12:25:20 AM
Never if I had say.

Count me too.

I remember that Technowraith said after asking the local theater manaer, if I'm not mistaken, that Avatar wil be taken down from IMAX when this Alice thing comes out, which is March 5th (?). I just hope that Avatar will remain on a 3D and maybe even a few shows on IMAX per week, it also kinda depends on the success of the Alice thing.

Technowraith

Quote from: TorukMakto! on February 14, 2010, 01:28:02 AM
Never if I had say.

Count me too.

I remember that Technowraith said after asking the local theater manaer, if I'm not mistaken, that Avatar wil be taken down from IMAX when this Alice thing comes out, which is March 5th (?). I just hope that Avatar will remain on a 3D and maybe even a few shows on IMAX per week, it also kinda depends on the success of the Alice thing.

Avatar IMAX is scheduled to exit theaters on march 5th, the date alice in wonderland opens in IMAX. Real 3D and 2D is scheduled until about the end of march, but this information will not apply to everyone. Different local markets will determine the exact exit date for avatar. The information i got from the theater manager is actually old news by now. He's told me the schedule has changed but hasn't been able to tell me what screenings are changing or the times.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Technowraith on February 14, 2010, 02:17:03 AM
Quote from: TorukMakto! on February 14, 2010, 01:28:02 AM
Never if I had say.

Count me too.

Avatar IMAX is scheduled to exit theaters on march 5th, the date alice in wonderland opens in IMAX. Real 3D and 2D is scheduled until about the end of march, but this information will not apply to everyone. Different local markets will determine the exact exit date for avatar. The information i got from the theater manager is actually old news by now. He's told me the schedule has changed but hasn't been able to tell me what screenings are changing or the times.

I see, whenever you have the chance to get the new timeline, please do post it. As you said every local theater will make it's own processing but at least it'll give us a general view of what is going on.

bagget00

My friend at the theater here said that they would be getting rid of Avatar at around the same time as Alice. I have yet to see it in IMAX tho. *sobbs*
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Technowraith

If i can get updated schedule information i'll try my best to get it to you guys. But i will not guarantee the accuracy of the information as it may not necessarily apply to your area. Local markets vary, so theaters handle Avatar will be on a location-by-location basis. Technically the theater manager really isn't supposed to be sharing this information to begin with, but it really isn't entirely proprietary either. As long as the manager can send me info, it will be passed on.

Unfortunately, once Avatar leaves IMAX, that will be the end of it's theatrical run in that format. The exceptions will be special engagements or screenings at museum IMAX screens. I would assume that Real 3D and 2D will continue to run on a limited basis depending on popularity and sales.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

TorukMakto!

Yes, it might not much my local theater's timeline but at least it's some kind of notification. From what I've seen so far , you don't hear that a movie is being out in advance, it just happens with no early notification. Same goes when there was the snow storm , there was no notification about canceling all of the screenings for that particular day, the people that showed up , had to leave back home.

Tsu'roen

Here in San Jose they have just axed the midnight show (my preference) as there were not too many people showing up anymore (hence my preference!). So there is definitely a slowdown.
But I'd say it will stay at least until Alice comes out. Than it will most likely have to make room in all IMAX and Real3D cinemas that have only 1 or two screens of each. Cinemas with more two 3D or IMAX screens may continue showing it.
This is where 3D becomes the curse for Avatar as the 3D screen capacities are still very limited.
But hoping for Alice in Wonderland to fail is a pipedream. It may not beat Avatar in the total but it will for sure make some money - and on a weekly basis for sure more than Avatar will bring in by then.
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

10x (1x 2D, 3x Real 3D, 6x IMAX 3D)
1x Special Ed. (1x IMAX 3D)

Will Txankamuse

Yup the other posters are right, I've spoken to two IMAX theatre managers about this, and they both say that it will disappear from IMAX in early March - it takes the projectionist a few days to splice the IMAX film together and they need to load them onto the spindles, so I expect Avatar will vanish probably around March 2nd.

However, conventional 3d theatres can keep it running for as long as they like - if people are still going - so you'll probably still be able to see it in Real-D/XpandD/Dolby3d etc etc beyond March.

Also, once the IMAX reels have been cut up and sent back to Fox in LA, cleaned and repackaged up, IMAX theaters get a second chance to show the film.  However, it will be very politically hard for a theater to show Avatar again, because they are under immense pressure from the other studios to show their films instead, and as a result, it's unlikely that any theater except for single standalone ones such as museums which do not have to bow to the studio pressure (as they don't show many, if any, DMR films in their theatres anyway).

So watch it in IMAX while you can, because it won't be there forever.

Will
Txo ayngal tse'a keyeyit, oeyä txoa livu.  I am learning Na'vi too!
If you see a mistake in my post please correct me!

Please help on the Movie Lines in Na'vi wiki page

Technowraith

The latest news i got from the theater manager:

-Avatar IMAX 3D is scheduled to rotate out on March 5th. Alice in Wonderland will be rotating in for a midnight showing the night before.
-Avatar Real 3D will be running on 1 screen for the remainder of it's theatrical run. The schedule is being modified to run 4 engagments a day.
-Avatar 2D will be running in limited engagements on another screen until sales require it to rotate out. In other words, Avatar 2D will run until a more profitable engagement requires that auditorium. The schedule is being run at 3 engagements per day.

This information may not apply to you. But it an indication of what the upcoming schedule may be like. Your local area may and will differ. Speak with your local theater management if you want more in depth information.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Mithcoriel

You guys seem to be implying that an IMAX theatre can only show one movie at a time. What's up with that? Can't a theatre show Avatar at one time, and Alice at another? Does an IMAX theatre work somehow differently than another theatre, where they need to "take out" the Avatar film and "put in" Alice whenever they wanna show it, in a process that takes a long time so that they wouldn't wanna do it every day?
Ayoe lu aysamsiyu a plltxe "Ni" !
Aytìhawnu ayli'uyä aswok: "Ni", "Peng", si "Niiiew-wom" !

Tsu'roen

Depends on how many IMAX screens they have. Most have just one, some may have 2 and very few may have even 3 or more. And keep in mind that IMAX screens are kind of costly and movies for them are still limited.
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Will Txankamuse on February 14, 2010, 06:12:24 PM
Yup the other posters are right, I've spoken to two IMAX theatre managers about this, and they both say that it will disappear from IMAX in early March - it takes the projectionist a few days to splice the IMAX film together and they need to load them onto the spindles, so I expect Avatar will vanish probably around March 2nd.

However, conventional 3d theatres can keep it running for as long as they like - if people are still going - so you'll probably still be able to see it in Real-D/XpandD/Dolby3d etc etc beyond March.

Also, once the IMAX reels have been cut up and sent back to Fox in LA, cleaned and repackaged up, IMAX theaters get a second chance to show the film.  However, it will be very politically hard for a theater to show Avatar again, because they are under immense pressure from the other studios to show their films instead, and as a result, it's unlikely that any theater except for single standalone ones such as museums which do not have to bow to the studio pressure (as they don't show many, if any, DMR films in their theatres anyway).

So watch it in IMAX while you can, because it won't be there forever.

Will

Quote from: Technowraith on February 14, 2010, 07:47:34 PM
The latest news i got from the theater manager:

-Avatar IMAX 3D is scheduled to rotate out on March 5th. Alice in Wonderland will be rotating in for a midnight showing the night before.
-Avatar Real 3D will be running on 1 screen for the remainder of it's theatrical run. The schedule is being modified to run 4 engagments a day.
-Avatar 2D will be running in limited engagements on another screen until sales require it to rotate out. In other words, Avatar 2D will run until a more profitable engagement requires that auditorium. The schedule is being run at 3 engagements per day.

This information may not apply to you. But it an indication of what the upcoming schedule may be like. Your local area may and will differ. Speak with your local theater management if you want more in depth information.
Irayo for both of you. I have to go to IMAX or at least 3D before closing :(.

Will Txankamuse

Quote from: Mithcoriel on February 14, 2010, 08:03:13 PM
You guys seem to be implying that an IMAX theatre can only show one movie at a time. What's up with that? Can't a theatre show Avatar at one time, and Alice at another? Does an IMAX theatre work somehow differently than another theatre, where they need to "take out" the Avatar film and "put in" Alice whenever they wanna show it, in a process that takes a long time so that they wouldn't wanna do it every day?

it's a combination of logistical and political obstacles that mean IMAX screens will only show one movie at a time.

Firstly, the platters they load the IMAX reel onto just can't easily be swapped around - I've seen the Avatar 70mm reel loaded on an IMAX platter, and it's probably got a diameter of nearly two meters across - in fact the projectionist was saying that had JC put any more scenes in the film, they probably wouldn't have been able to fit the reel on the platter.  The IMAX film comes in around 20-30 boxes which have to be spliced together to make the reel and they're basically left on the platters until the film finishes it's rotation.  Also the theaters don't own the reel, in most cases, once the show is over they are obligated to mail it back to the distributors giving them less flexibility as regards showing it again after the agreed finish date.

Secondly and probably more importantly is the politics, the buyers for the owners of the IMAX negotiate the show times of the film with the studios and the studios basically control the period that you can show the movie - one studio will want exclusive time on the IMAX, or they will potentially put sanctions on the theater company for future films (e.g. if you don't show our movie at the times we want, you won't get the next movie we make).  It's kinda crazy but hey 'that's show business'.  Disney want Alice in Wonderland on the IMAX from March 5th, and that means taking Avatar off, it's as clear cut as that.

Quote from: Tsu'roen
Most have just one, some may have 2 and very few may have even 3 or more.

I haven't heard of any locations with more than one IMAX projector in it - that would be an impressive theater.  Can you provide details?

Will
Txo ayngal tse'a keyeyit, oeyä txoa livu.  I am learning Na'vi too!
If you see a mistake in my post please correct me!

Please help on the Movie Lines in Na'vi wiki page

Technowraith

Quote from: Tsu'roen on February 14, 2010, 08:19:21 PM
Depends on how many IMAX screens they have. Most have just one, some may have 2 and very few may have even 3 or more. And keep in mind that IMAX screens are kind of costly and movies for them are still limited.

Most theaters only have 1 IMAX screen. And that screen is usually booked out several months in advance with upcoming engagements. Once an engagement has a screen, it's given a limited time slot and kept to that time slot despite profitability. In other words Avatar IMAX, even if it's still selling out, WILL rotate out no matter what on March 5th.

As for IMAX media, from what i've learned from the theater manager and staff:

Contrary to common belief, IMAX films come in giant strips. It's not one reel end-to-end. When the film arrives at the theater, a projectionist has to assemble the film from the strips into a continuous reel. The result is one long reel of film from beginning to end. Each strip is numbered and sequenced, so they can be fit into proper sequence. This process can take up to a full day to complete. So a print (as a film is called) ships to the theater about a week in advance of opening night. It get's assembled and test run through a rapid projector in a back room. Once the film is cleared, it gets loaded into the auditorium projectors. The projectors have to be aligned and focused every time a film is loaded. I wasn't told too much about this process, but i can't imagine it being a quick procedure (as in taking less than 10 minutes for example).

So unfortunately, you can't "turn around" an IMAX auditorium to switch from one film to another very quickly. Special handling procedures are in place to protect the media, which doesn't allow for fast swapping of the film. It would be awesome to have both Avatar and Alice in wonderland in IMAX, but just isn't feasible unless there are multiple IMAX screens. Which most theaters locations lack.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Tsu'roen

And the line-up for upcoming IMAX movies is long:
March 05 - Alice in Wonderland
March 19 - Hubble
March 26 - Dragon
May 21 - Shrek
June 18 - Toy Story
June 30 - Twilight Saga
July 16 - Inception
December 17 - Tron
There may be gaps - who knows
We can be thankful that Avatar could run this long ...

Mithcoriel

Okay, so IMAX can't show Avatar forever for simple logistic reasons, not cause it's run out of spice.
What about regular theatres then? Couldn't they, in theory, keep the movie running indefinitely?
Ayoe lu aysamsiyu a plltxe "Ni" !
Aytìhawnu ayli'uyä aswok: "Ni", "Peng", si "Niiiew-wom" !

Tsu'roen

With Real3D the cinemas are kind of in the same boat as IMAX - they have limited screens and a flood of movies to show on them.
That leaves only 2D screens. There large cinemas can probably continue showing Avatar until nobody wants to see it anymore or the film is worn out. But in 2D it's only a shadow of itself - there many people may just wait for the Blu-ray to come out ...