Avatar the same as Pocahontas or not ?

Started by Eltusiyu, February 01, 2010, 11:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eltusiyu

I found this picture.
Some poeple think that Avatar is XXIst century version of Pocahontas  :)

Maybe this will resolve this speculation  :)

Kxangangang! - Oeyä Pìlok leNa'vi

Previously called Kxrekorikus

Kawnga Tawtute

ahahah this is great!!

Pocahontas:
Radiohead-Creep w/ Lyrics

Vasco Rossi - Ad ogni costo

kharul_karyu

Quote from: Kxrekorikus on February 01, 2010, 11:29:22 AM
I found this picture.
Some poeple think that Avatar is XXIst century version of Pocahontas  :)

*snip*

Maybe this will resolve this speculation  :)

I saw that days earlier. I'd like to think of myself as having a sense of humor and I can almost... ALMOST... see how or why this would be funny... BUT... I think that more than being funny it's being stupid. Really. There is so much shortcomings to Avatar's plot, as I'm sure it is on the plot of Pocahontas. Plus, historically, isn't she supposed to be 15 or something??? Eww/ugh!

But I wouldn't think a Disney movie would make scores of people emotional, anyway. C'mon, prove me wrong. :P
I love to think about random stuff. I hope perhaps you do, too! :D

Tirea Pa'li

One way or another same stories circle in human art for mileania.
If someone tell you "WOW! That`s something new, i`ve never hear\read\watched someting like that!!" he just havent read enough. It is not just Pocahontas. There are many tales such as this one. One of the more popular is Shogun...
I can point your interest in something less well know. Maybe cuz Disney havent done it in animation. The Story about chief Sitting Bull and the Struggle to keep theirs sacred land "The Black Hills" witch the white men took and made an open mine there killing and forcing the Lakota`s to flee and die from hunger and disease. Only there the indian is a man and takes a white woman. Not a pretty story, and its true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitting_bull

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hills

From all the weapons you have used against us, we always feared your guns least!

ShadowedSin

Isn't there already a topic on the Pocahantas thing?
\Shadow's Sin
A Blog discussion Amazon and notes for the Arrow Child Novella!

Arrow Child
An Online Serial Novel and the first story in the Amazon Diaspora Saga.

kharul_karyu

Quote from: Tirea Pa'li on February 01, 2010, 05:04:39 PM
One way or another same stories circle in human art for mileania.
If someone tell you "WOW! That`s something new, i`ve never hear\read\watched someting like that!!" he just havent read enough. It is not just Pocahontas. There are many tales such as this one. One of the more popular is Shogun...
I can point your interest in something less well know. Maybe cuz Disney havent done it in animation. The Story about chief Sitting Bull and the Struggle to keep theirs sacred land "The Black Hills" witch the white men took and made an open mine there killing and forcing the Lakota`s to flee and die from hunger and disease. Only there the indian is a man and takes a white woman. Not a pretty story, and its true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitting_bull

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hills

Great post, Tirea Pa'li. I applaud you. In fact, I'm clicking "applaud" under your name now...

And now that I look at my post...? Ugh.  :-\

Mithcoriel

There are similarities, but the above image is silly cause it's kinda obvious that guy wrote out the "Pocahontas plot" himself, to then scribble in the Avatar parts. Meaning he deliberately focused on the similarities, to the point of making mistakes, which is kind of silly. Lemme go through it...

If this is talking about the disney movie...
- Pocahontas never gets a message from Grandmother Willow telling her to trust John.
- Pocahontas never teaches John how to hunt or grow crops.
- There's no mention in Avatar that Neytiri doesn't like Tsu'tey. She just ends up liking Jake more.
- The way Tsutey and Kokoum are killed is completely different. While both attack the hero just after he's made out with their fiancée, Kokoum then gets shot dead immediately by another white person, while Tsu'tey stays alive a whole lot longer, fights alongside Jake, and dies heroically in battle.
- It's a bit of a stretch to compare the way John Smith was unambiguously planned to be killed, where the whole event was just to execute him, with the way Jake was tied up on the side with some allusions that they might be planning to kill him, where he wasn't the center of attention at all. And while in Pocahontas, the movie climaxes there and then, after the almost-execution of John, Avatar continues for a lot longer.
- Pocahontas doesn't risk her life to save John. Also, all she does is tell her dad not to kill him. Nothing like Neytiri, who does wild battle and saves Jake through active combat.
- In Avatar, the two cultures don't really resolve their differences, the Na'vi just win.

If this is talking about the historical Pocahontas:
- John Smith and Pocahontas never had a romantic relationship. They were just friends. Pocahontas later moved to England and married a guy named John Ralph.
- While Pocahontas was the daughter of the chief, this didn't give her some kind of special status, as most of the tribe's kids were the chief's kids, or something along those lines
- Oh yeah, Pocahontas was like twelve, I think?
- Barely any similarities at all.
Ayoe lu aysamsiyu a plltxe "Ni" !
Aytìhawnu ayli'uyä aswok: "Ni", "Peng", si "Niiiew-wom" !

kharul_karyu

Totally awesome post, with one minor correction...

Quote from: Mithcoriel on February 14, 2010, 07:24:43 PM
There are similarities, but the above image is silly cause it's kinda obvious that guy wrote out the "Pocahontas plot" himself, to then scribble in the Avatar parts. Meaning he deliberately focused on the similarities, to the point of making mistakes, which is kind of silly. Lemme go through it...

If this is talking about the disney movie...

*snip*

- In Avatar, the two cultures don't really resolve their differences, the Na'vi just win.

This could be addressed in an upcoming sequel, whether Na'vi and Humans reconcile. I think it really is to the benefit of both cultures to mend their past, but nobody really knows how James Cameron's vision of Avatar will shake out, in the end.

For better or worse, he is the (only?) person who can take the story further to new heights or to horribly cheapen it, to the dismay of us all (or some/most of us).

Coyote

I've always found it funny that people make the accusation about Avatar being a "rip off" of Pocahontas. Because that would mean that Pocahontas was original, which it wasn't. The "man astride two cultures" thing is an old, old, old plotline. "Shogun" was mentioned, but there were others-- "Lawrence of Arabia" comes to mind as well.

Also, I remember when Pocahontas came out and people (probably the same ones?) were blasting it for being "historically inaccurate". And I'm thinking, "you have a movie where forest animals do song-and-dance routines, and you're getting your hackles up over historical accuracy?"

It all goes to support my generic universal theory: most people are dumb.

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Txonyä'ite

^Karma cookie for you sir.

Anyone who can't see the differences, IMHO has not watched both movies.

wm.annis

But why does it matter if the storylines are similar?  People don't pitch a fit if a pop singer comes out with a love song, do they?  Human beings, for all their flexibility, are not interested in an infinite variety of storylines, they want things they understand and that deal with matters that are important to us as humans in general.

Here's a plot line we've all seen in films over and over and over: new young man arrives in a community; the girls find him alluring, the boys want to pound him to paste; tension/drama/blahblahblah; the newcomer gets the girl and is accepted into the community after Some Incident.  This isn't just a ubiquitous human story — any baboon or chimp will understand this tale.

It's not just the story that matters — but how you tell it

kharul_karyu

*sniff, sniff... so this is what debate bait smells like*

"I shall remember the scent for in the next time a topic appears, magically," says Kha'rul.