Bow Being Drawn?

Started by tsamna, February 18, 2010, 09:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsamna

I love the movie as much as the next guy but i think i did find one teensy mistake in it. When neytiryi first sees jake and is about to shoot him with her bow she draws all the way back and then it cuts back to jake then back to neytiryi who draws back again when earlier she was already drawn back all the way? Maybe she relaxed a little and then drew again but it didnt show us.
So what do you guys think?
Go climbing, its better for you than xbox.

Technowraith

Quote from: tsamna on February 18, 2010, 09:36:17 PM
I love the movie as much as the next guy but i think i did find one teensy mistake in it. When neytiryi first sees jake and is about to shoot him with her bow she draws all the way back and then it cuts back to jake then back to neytiryi who draws back again when earlier she was already drawn back all the way? Maybe she relaxed a little and then drew again but it didnt show us.

It's entirely possible to relax a full draw. I find myself doing it, especially if i hold stance at full draw for an extended period (like more than a minute). Not really a mistake in my opinion as an archer.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Zefanaya

Quote from: Technowraith on February 18, 2010, 09:50:01 PM
Quote from: tsamna on February 18, 2010, 09:36:17 PM

It's entirely possible to relax a full draw. I find myself doing it, especially if i hold stance at full draw for an extended period (like more than a minute). Not really a mistake in my opinion as an archer.

Defenetly not a mistake to draw back a bow is no easy task I too am an archer, also to get a steady aim you have to hold your breath so she probably wanted to make sure she had a good shot before killing Jake, and their are many more thoughts going through you head when you are about to kill a person compared to killing an animal (assuming this as I have never killed a person). ]
Eywa ngahu
AM 2012 - Uniting the Clans Planning Team
Zephaniah Washington - [email protected]

A Furry - FA: Tirey
AMERICANS FOR PROTECTION OF FREE SPEECH

Technowraith

I don't hold my breath at full draw in general. Stance at full draw is an unnatural way to hold your body. Especially for long periods of time. It's easy for muscle fatigue to set in. I know that bow hunters will keep an arrow nocked and ready to draw, but don't actually draw until they see their target. When they do draw, it's not full, but almost like 80 or 90% full. When the hunter sees a good shot, he completes the draw and then fires. (Keep in mind not all hunters use this method. These are just my observations from the range more or less). I full draw right away and then fire. Of course i don't hunt, but the same mechanics behind firing and drawing apply, whether you hunt or not.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Zefanaya

Quote from: Technowraith on February 19, 2010, 05:47:38 AM
I don't hold my breath at full draw in general. Stance at full draw is an unnatural way to hold your body. Especially for long periods of time. It's easy for muscle fatigue to set in. I know that bow hunters will keep an arrow nocked and ready to draw, but don't actually draw until they see their target. When they do draw, it's not full, but almost like 80 or 90% full. When the hunter sees a good shot, he completes the draw and then fires. (Keep in mind not all hunters use this method. These are just my observations from the range more or less). I full draw right away and then fire. Of course i don't hunt, but the same mechanics behind firing and drawing apply, whether you hunt or not.

agreed, I am an amateur but I use this technique but to get a really good shot I do hold my breath (I do the same when I shoot my 22 at the range).

Eywa ngahu

Technowraith

Holding your breath makes sense. By doing so, you stop moving slightly as you inhale and exhale. Various methods work for various people. I've been shooting for quite awhile. I picked up the techniques shown to me by me friend who is an archer. He's the one who got me interested initially. When i did finally decide to pursue the sport, he offered to train me and properly show me the mechanics of the sport. So almost all my mannerism and techniques i use for shooting are from him.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Will Txankamuse

when I was taught to shoot, I was told to take a breath then let it half out - this apparently gives the most stability.

Will
Txo ayngal tse'a keyeyit, oeyä txoa livu.  I am learning Na'vi too!
If you see a mistake in my post please correct me!

Please help on the Movie Lines in Na'vi wiki page

Tsa'räni

Photographers are sometimes taught to inhale and then slowly let out their breath as they're attempting to handhold a shot right at the edge of their ability to do so.  For me, I've always found holding my breath actually induces more camera shake than slowly letting it out.  The situations are a little different, of course, but the goal is the same.

Technowraith

Holding your breath does allow for stability. Your body isn't compensating for the movements casued by breathing. So your aiming stability increases. Hunting is the time when you need the most stability. Or any time you're trying to hit a moving target.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

tirea afkeu

With the holding of breath comes a moment of suspended animation throughout the body, making aim easier as well as allowing the mind to focus.
"My job is to keep you alive."

"I will not succeed. Not with all of you." -Colonel Miles Quaritch

Zefanaya

Yep, I am taking some more archery lesson (i stopped for a while I hated stopping) but my instructor made sure that all of us used this technique.

Eywa ngahu.

Will Txankamuse

The Na'vi, too, are an extension of Cameron. He mentioned that he is a lefty. "Guess what," he said. "The Na'vi are all left-handed now." He taught Zoë Saldana how to shoot her bow, as he envisioned it. "It's a two-fingered inverted draw past the head, like a Samurai," he said, tracing the shape in the air over his left shoulder. "The archery instructor came and said, 'Do you want me to teach them archery or do you want me to teach them this? This would never work.' I said, 'See that bush?' It was a hundred and fifty feet away. I nailed it."
[source]

Will
Txo ayngal tse'a keyeyit, oeyä txoa livu.  I am learning Na'vi too!
If you see a mistake in my post please correct me!

Please help on the Movie Lines in Na'vi wiki page

Zefanaya

NICE, I would see JC doing that, I wish I had been there to see that to.

Irayo, ulte Eywa ngahu.

Tirea Pa'li

There different types of bows. Ones that can be drawn and wait whit the arrow notched on the string, and others that are very powerful and cannot be hold drawn for long.
From all the weapons you have used against us, we always feared your guns least!

Technowraith

Quote from: Tirea Pa'li on March 01, 2010, 04:01:42 AM
There different types of bows. Ones that can be drawn and wait whit the arrow notched on the string, and others that are very powerful and cannot be hold drawn for long.

Modern compound hunting bows have a "draw hold" feature that holds a full draw with a knocked arrow. That way the hunter can full draw, place the bow down. Then pick it up and be ready to shoot at a moment's notice.

Traditional longbows or any traditional bow for that matter, lacks that feature.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Zefanaya

Compound bow's are nice but I still like the challenge and beauty of a long bow.

tsamna

I was just trying to say that he was either hoping people didnt notice or it just didnt show her relaxing it. either way Irayo ma tsmuktu
Go climbing, its better for you than xbox.

Technowraith

Quote from: Tirey Hawnuyu on March 01, 2010, 09:33:02 PM
Compound bow's are nice but I still like the challenge and beauty of a long bow.

I think compound bows are too technical. I had one until a part failed on it and i discovered i would have to replace the entire bow basically. I started using my traditional longbow a lot more and liked how simple it was. No complicated moving oarts, no constant tuning or adjustment. Just a stick a d bowstring if you get down to the basics.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Zefanaya

Quote from: Technowraith on March 01, 2010, 09:50:36 PM
Quote from: Tirey Hawnuyu on March 01, 2010, 09:33:02 PM

I think compound bows are too technical. I had one until a part failed on it and i discovered i would have to replace the entire bow basically. I started using my traditional longbow a lot more and liked how simple it was. No complicated moving oarts, no constant tuning or adjustment. Just a stick a d bowstring if you get down to the basics.

gotta love the basics