Critics of Avatar

Started by idogis1, December 24, 2009, 11:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tengfya swizaw

I tend to agree with what Au'ekong and a few others have said. These days, it's very hard for a plot to be original. There is always something borrowed, there are always similar elements. So when you can no longer focus on making the storyline and plot different, you focus on delivery. Focus on the effort and work put into it. The plot can't be revolutionary, but the rest of it can.

Here's to not knowing exactly what you're saying and having fun with it.

Proud founder of the DeviantART Learn Na'vi group!
http://learnnavi.deviantart.com/

Hawnuyu atìtse'a

Well said. I think another source that is overlooked much is a (novel?) titled Call Me Joe, and it has the whole connecting to another entity and deciding it's better than your current life idea as the main focus. I remember hearing about it on the imdb boards in October 09.
"And that's how you scatter the roaches."- Col. Miles Quaritch.

Team Quaritch Member

Rey ulte ting rey.

Tìhawnu Ta'em

I believe that film-makers have the sense to appeal to audiences and nearly everyone loves the type of story when a hero goes through trials and comes out on top. Critics can never be pleased.

Hawnuyu atìtse'a

The thing is, the only trial shown in great detail was the ikran taming scene. More would have been nice, but that's why special features are included with the DVD.

Team Quaritch Member

Rey ulte ting rey.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Kaltxì, I have only 3 complaints about Avatar: (don't worry it's the good kind of complaint)

1. The 3-d goggles start to bother you after a long time.
      2. My ass hurt from the seat. (I didn't realize it till after the movie was done)
      3. The movie was only 2 hours and 40 minutes long... I want it to be 2 weeks long...

Kìyevame
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

ANiceSunset

Quote from: Nìwotkrr Tsahameylu on January 07, 2010, 11:08:14 PM
Kaltxì, I have only 3 complaints about Avatar: (don't worry it's the good kind of complaint)

2. My ass hurt from the seat. (I didn't realize it till after the movie was done)
      3. The movie was only 2 hours and 40 minutes long... I want it to be 2 weeks long...

Kìyevame

Well I had to wear my glasses AND my 3D goggles...
An amatuer practices until he gets it right, a professional practices until he can't get it wrong.

Hawnuyu atìtse'a

I felt cooler wearing the glasses (the half-life guys kind). Combine it with converse and jeans and you get one sharp looking moviegoer.

Team Quaritch Member

Rey ulte ting rey.

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

Kìyevame

The second time I saw the movie I didn't even twitch for the entirety of the film. When it was time to leave my back and shoulders were a whole world of hurt for not getting to move at all, but I have to say my theater has pretty comfy seats so my ass was pretty happy.

Did anyone experience nausea in the movie? I didn't but a few people at my work were complaining...
Avatar is a movie about a guy with blue balls running through the forest chasing tail.

Hawnuyu atìtse'a

Surprisingly no. Another thing the critics can chew on: the amazing 3d. I noticed it the most whenever there were particles like dust or the atokirina. I got used to it though

Team Quaritch Member

Rey ulte ting rey.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Sngä'i Tìrey-yä on January 07, 2010, 11:51:07 PM

Kìyevame

The second time I saw the movie I didn't even twitch for the entirety of the film. When it was time to leave my back and shoulders were a whole world of hurt for not getting to move at all, but I have to say my theater has pretty comfy seats so my ass was pretty happy.

Did anyone experience nausea in the movie? I didn't but a few people at my work were complaining...

I noticed that if the projector is set up in a theater misaligned, you can't easily sit up close.  You have to be near to the Middle and not to too near the rear otherwise the difference in spacing is severely off.  That will trigger some distorted visual queues similar to what can cause motion sickness by tracking quick moving objects and scanning to track correct when they move unpredictably.
私は太った男だ。

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

Quote from: Txur'Itan on January 08, 2010, 12:20:38 AM

I noticed that if the projector is set up in a theater misaligned, you can't easily sit up close.  You have to be near to the Middle and not to too near the rear otherwise the difference in spacing is severely off.  That will trigger some distorted visual queues similar to what can cause motion sickness by tracking quick moving objects and scanning to track correct when they move unpredictably.

Ok, that'd make sense. Both times I saw it I was in the exact middle of the imax theater (sitting in line for two hour does pay in the long run) so maybe they all were watching from a different angle.

Just like, I absolutely hate walking into the imax theater, I always get the worst vertigo and feel like I'm going to fall and die.
Avatar is a movie about a guy with blue balls running through the forest chasing tail.