Do you think that's intentional?

Started by Ayzìsìt Alenantang, December 31, 2009, 02:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ayzìsìt Alenantang

I've noticed during the movie, that humans name stuff after mythology. for example:
* Mountain banshee (Banshee is a ghost in Scotish mythology)
* Medusa
* Dragon (In the movie, it was the big gunship)
* Hell's gate (RDA base)
* Pandora (After pandora's box)
Do you think it symbolize something, or just cool names? I think it's there to show that humans are still connected to their past, adding to the fact that the same story could've been told from the human's point of view, making the Na'vi the bad guys- a stubborn race.
What do you think?
"Tìfnu! Oel ngati tspang!"
"Silance! I kill you!"
~Achmed, the dead terrorist.

shiaru

humans love hearing cool code names that have a theme, that's all.
~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

Motxokxen

Txantslusama tsamsiyu

What was Medusa? There is a Scorpion ,Samson and Valkyrie. The RDA named Toruk the Great Leonopteryx.

Naki'Malis

Most likely, but most military vehicles have a calltype (ie the F-10 'Warthog')  it's unsurprising.  As for the mythological aspect, would guess that the if the planet was named Pandora first, then the similar naming aspects for the creatures would follow.
Always listening, always learning.

shiaru

Just throwing this out here, In the mini documentary Weaver says that its called Pandora because it holds one last hope for humanity.
~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

Maweya tirea

Quote from: shiaru on January 01, 2010, 08:36:39 PM
Just throwing this out here, In the mini documentary Weaver says that its called Pandora because it holds one last hope for humanity.

That's interesting but how in the myth was pandora's box a last hope for pandora?
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Numeie

Quote from: Maweya tirea on January 02, 2010, 10:04:12 PM

That's interesting but how in the myth was pandora's box a last hope for pandora?
Hope was the one thing left in the box after everything else escaped.
Hispanohablantes, si queréis contribuir al wiki de Avatar en español os lo agradecería. http://es.james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/

Maweya tirea

Quote from: Numeie on January 03, 2010, 02:50:46 PM
Quote from: Maweya tirea on January 02, 2010, 10:04:12 PM

Hope was the one thing left in the box after everything else escaped.
oh ok cool. I forgot about that.
God síltsan lu!!!!!

fkeua vrrtep

Quote from: Txantslusama tsamsiyu on December 31, 2009, 06:34:51 PM
What was Medusa? There is a Scorpion ,Samson and Valkyrie. The RDA named Toruk the Great Leonopteryx.

Medusa was a creature in the ancient greek myths I think , she could literally petrify your body if you took a look at her , she had snake instead of hair and a sea creatures tail .
I wanted you to know
I love the way you laugh
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain away
I keep your photograph
I know it serves me well
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain

'cause i'm broken,
when i'm lonesome
and i don't feel right
when you're gone away

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

She was a famous Greek monster, a Gorgon (one of three sisters) born of two gods. Her hair was snakes and one look could turn a man to stone. The hero Perseus managed to turn her into stone by holding up a mirror, after which he beheaded her and presented the head to the Goddess Athena who placed the head upon her shield as a weapon.
Avatar is a movie about a guy with blue balls running through the forest chasing tail.

Txantslusama tsamsiyu

Quote from: Sngä'i Tìrey-yä on January 05, 2010, 10:17:34 AM

She was a famous Greek monster, a Gorgon (one of three sisters) born of two gods. Her hair was snakes and one look could turn a man to stone. The hero Perseus managed to turn her into stone by holding up a mirror, after which he beheaded her and presented the head to the Goddess Athena who placed the head upon her shield as a weapon.

I knew what she was in mythology, but i mean in the movie. I saw that there was a Medusa in the project 880 script.

fkeua vrrtep

Quote from: Txantslusama tsamsiyu on January 05, 2010, 04:58:36 PM
Quote from: Sngä'i Tìrey-yä on January 05, 2010, 10:17:34 AM

I knew what she was in mythology, but i mean in the movie. I saw that there was a Medusa in the project 880 script.

whether it was a weapon or any other kind of device or machine .
I wanted you to know
I love the way you laugh
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain away
I keep your photograph
I know it serves me well
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain

'cause i'm broken,
when i'm lonesome
and i don't feel right
when you're gone away

Numeie

Quote from: Txantslusama tsamsiyu on January 05, 2010, 04:58:36 PM
According to a fan wiki it's a flying jellyfish which doesn't appear in the film but is in the iPhone game.
Hispanohablantes, si queréis contribuir al wiki de Avatar en español os lo agradecería. http://es.james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/