Mo'at's tswin??

Started by hì'ia tuté, April 14, 2012, 01:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seze Mune

Here I think you can see something binding the end of the tswin.  Note where the braid joins the head and compare in the next picture...

I read somewhere that the Na'vi tswin connects to the lower portion of the skull, as in the other picture I posted.  You can see that sometimes the braid originates from that point (as with Jake in the beginning) and sometimes it seems to originate at the crown of the head.  I suppose it really doesn't matter.  You could start the braid anywhere and incorporate the tswin when you came to it.

From Pandorapedia, a 20th Century Fox Film website:

"From birth on, the Na'vi individual's hair is painstakingly braided over the antenna-like neural whip, protecting it from harm."  They must be born with quite the headful of hair!

Niri Te

So who don's SCUBA gear, and jumps into the Gestational tanks, and braids the hair around the AVATARS  aytswin?
Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Alyara Arati

Little robobraiders?  Braidbots? ;D
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

hì'ia tuté

Quote from: Niri Te on April 15, 2012, 11:45:08 PM
  So who don's SCUBA gear, and jumps into the Gestational tanks, and braids the hair around the AVATARS  aytswin?
Niri Te

:-\ That's what I'd like to know!  ;D Which is why I assumed it grew out of their head as a braid (hard for a human to wrap our brains around the idea of a growing braid, but these *are* aliens whose physiology is different than our own)... Another reason I think perhaps it grows as a braid (and might be something different than normal hair as humans think of hair, something a little tougher) is because I'm not sure if anybody's ever gotten their entire hair braided in tiny mini-braids, but I have once and to even keep the tiny ones in for a few weeks, you could see where my hair grew at the roots, which was not braided and frizzy. Granted, we do not really see their upkeep of their hair, but I would think that to unbraid and re-braid their hair around such sensitive nerves, would not be pleasant.

Quote from: Alyara Arati on April 15, 2012, 11:47:31 PM
Little robobraiders?  Braidbots? ;D

;D   

Blue Elf

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 15, 2012, 10:08:17 PM
I read somewhere that the Na'vi tswin connects to the lower portion of the skull, as in the other picture I posted.  You can see that sometimes the braid originates from that point (as with Jake in the beginning) and sometimes it seems to originate at the crown of the head.  I suppose it really doesn't matter.  You could start the braid anywhere and incorporate the tswin when you came to it.

From Pandorapedia, a 20th Century Fox Film website:

"From birth on, the Na'vi individual's hair is painstakingly braided over the antenna-like neural whip, protecting it from harm."  They must be born with quite the headful of hair!
Place where queue starts is different for Na'vi and avatars. There is thread about this. So maybe there are more differences, what can help answer, why avatars have tswin braided even if they are closed in tanks..
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

P.A.'li makto

Quote from: Ningey on April 15, 2012, 05:18:45 PM
The point is that any nerve strands cannot support anything else by themselves. They would be too fragile for one part, and for another, they would need some tissue containing blood vessels for nourishment, support, and protection, though.
What we see from the end of the tswin actually would be the "loose" ends that can attach themselves to other nerve strands, but they would most likely be protruding from some sort of tissue tube (for want of a better term). So we can safely assume that the hair covering the tswin grows from the skin surrounding the nerve strands and the protective tissue.However, one point that also made me wonder is why the swin of the avatars are braided already. To me this sounds like either a plot hole or fridge logic, depending on when the problem caught one's attention.
THIS is a great idea! I absolutely agree!
Also I recall the scene when Jake connects his avatar the first time, and his and his avatar's skull can be seen turning round and round on the monitor, there his "antenna" can be seen (without any hair of course, like an X-rey pic or something). It is in something like a tube, isn't it?  :-\

facebook: soaia leNa`vi

hì'ia tuté

I looked more closely at Mo'at's tswin, looking for evidence of a possible braid connected to the tswin, and I used picasa to give more contrast and highlights and I think I figured it out.

I'm now pretty sure, as you look at Mo'at straight on, the braid on her left (image right) would be her actual Tswin, and the braid on her right (image left) would be braided hair. However, I do not think that the braided hair (non-tswin hair) is the same length as her tswin. If you look closely, you can see a section of hair at the connecting point that seems to loop around the tswin on Mo'at's left (image right) and then the hair that looped around the tswin seems to be pushed back thru the braid as a way to secure the hold. Also I believe I can see something a little further down on the tswin (just below the connecting point, that looks like some kind of cord used as a hair tie perhaps to secure the hair to the tswin.

Below is the altered image, split screened with the unaltered image. On the altered image I did my best to sort of highlight what it is I noticed, and then used arrows in the unaltered image to point out the same sections of hair/cord

Ningey

Niri Te

Good question, indeed - and one that requires answering to fill up a plot hole. Right now there isn't any plausible explanation available.

"Sawtute ke tsun nivume - fo ke kerame!"
-- Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

"There are two things that are infinite: Human stupidity and the universe. However, I'm not yet sure about the universe."
-- Albert Einstein

"He who gives up freedom for security deserves neither and loses both."
-- Benjamin Franklin

hì'ia tuté

Quote from: Ningey on April 17, 2012, 02:22:03 AM
Niri Te

Good question, indeed - and one that requires answering to fill up a plot hole. Right now there isn't any plausible explanation available.

That's why I believe it grows as a braid.

Seze Mune

Quote from: hì'i tuté on April 19, 2012, 10:29:54 AM
Quote from: Ningey on April 17, 2012, 02:22:03 AM
 So who don's SCUBA gear, and jumps into the Gestational tanks, and braids the hair around the AVATARS  aytswin?
Niri Te

That's why I believe it grows as a braid.

But even IF it grew as a braid, what about the REST of the hair?  It obviously doesn't because in the movie you can see Jake's hair in various stages of braiding....yet in the tank, his hair is not free-floating; it seems to be ALL bound up in the tswin-braid.   ???  So it seems that regardless, someone MUST get into the tank to attend to the hair.

Besides, if they can braid ALL of his hair into the queue-braid, then it's almost unlikely that the hair on the braid automatically grows like that....or it would be nearly impossibly difficult to take a wet queue-braid and weave loose strands from the rest of the head into it.  That has the potential of seriously messing with the development of the avatar-foetus.

hì'ia tuté

lol... it's a plot hole that if I ever meet James Cameron, I'll have to quiz him on that.  ;D

Seze Mune

Quote from: hì'i tuté on April 19, 2012, 03:19:34 PM
lol... it's a plot hole that if I ever meet James Cameron, I'll have to quiz him on that.  ;D

Save the idea, ma 'eylan; when you become Na'vi of the Week, that can be one of your questions!! :D

hì'ia tuté

what is Na'vi of the Week?  ???

Seze Mune