Hammocks and Rain.

Started by Zanither, December 06, 2011, 07:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanither

So, I was thinking. If your in a hammock, in a tree and it rains (which does happen on Pandora) what in the name of Eywa will you do  :-\

Your thoughts....
Sherlock Holmes: [handcuffed to John] Take my hand!
John Watson: Now people will definitely talk.

Tuteyä amuiä 'itan

probably build a shelter around it

Tirea Aean

Weren't there a lot of leaves on the tree? or maybe it's that they are so used to being rained on while sleeping?

Amaya

From what I could see in my (multiple) viewings of the movie, it looked as though the hammocks were set up within the internal structures of Kelutral, rather than on the outside branches.  Given that, they're probably quite well-protected from the (seemingly fairly common occurrence of) rain :D

'Oma Tirea

Additionally, depending on where on Pandora they're living, the rain may be OK because it's warm enough :)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Nyx

Great, I wasn't cold enough today... :P

I sure hope they don't get rained on, that doesn't seem like the best way to get a good night's sleep even if it's warm rain

archaic

Home tree has a vast hollow trunk, plenty of space inside it for hammocks and sleeping platforms, keeps them safe from predators too. Which is a bit unfair if you happen to be a predator.

Plus, as Amaya pointed out in the movie it does look as though the hammocks were set up within the internal structures of Kelutral, rather than on the outside branches.

How they find sleeping in the smoke from the cooking fires, Idk.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

Muiae regarding the hammocks within One Tree.  Hunting parties would probably sling their hammocks under the trees with the widest leaves, fu kxawm (or perhaps) set up a quick thatched roof.
From sleeping in tipis, I know that the fire is built centrally so that the smoke drifts upwards.
One can imagine that smoke would be seen dispersing from gaps in the Kelutral. high above.
At night time the fires would be banked to retain hot coals rather than roaring fires.

It is interesting to note that Neytiri's father wears a shoulder cape that would work well to shed water.
This garment is/was worn in many Polynesian cultures.  I watched a NAtional Geographic special on the indigenous people of a remote Filipino island.  They were laughing at the white people running for cover to avoid the rain.   But, I agree, sleeping in the rain, even warm, would be a miserable experience!