He isn't evil, only kind of forced
20 (45.5%)
Deep in his Heart, he loves the Na'vi
4 (9.1%)
He hates to do the Na'vi any harm
5 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Unilfwewyu

He seems to be forced to be evil if you ask me. When the Home Tree got destroyed, he really seemed down. (Actually, even Quaritch seemed somewhat down). But he really seems to have a certain pressure on him from the colonel.
Oel ngati kameie.

I live in a world where dreams are controlled by others, not by yourself. I live in a world where people choose what you become, and you have no choice whatsoever. This will change. My dreams will become reality. And that, my friends, is a promise.

Eyamsiyu

I don't think Quartich seemed down at all, if you ask me.  I mean, he was drinking coffee and watching Kelutrel being destroyed like he was watching the morning news. But I can see Selfridge being "forced," but like I said before, for his quarterly statement to stay good, it was necessary for the people to relocate.  He sure as hell didn't want anyone hurt, which is why he seemed really down.

What it comes down to is the fact that he knows he was killing life, and he hasn't had the training of a military man to be immune to it.  And unless you are trained to see death happen at your hands (or a serial killer), you are going to feel remorse for your actions.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Unilfwewyu

Oh man then am I cold-hearted or what...? I see a dead corpse tomorrow and I won't even shudder...Perhaps it's because my dad is a cop...hmmmm.
Oel ngati kameie.

I live in a world where dreams are controlled by others, not by yourself. I live in a world where people choose what you become, and you have no choice whatsoever. This will change. My dreams will become reality. And that, my friends, is a promise.

Eyamsiyu

I didn't exactly mean it that way.  I believe that you are not cold hearted.

I think the only person who can accurately describe to us how bad Selfridge is is cameron himself, and we won't really know that until be releases a novel based on the movie (provided it is a good one), as books have a funny way of describing exactly what the author wants the reader to know what the characters are feeling.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

'Itan Atxur

I believe that if selfridge had never been exposed to money, he'd be a typical person.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

Quote from: Niawve Mokri on April 01, 2010, 05:42:41 PM
I kinda think he's just following orders. 'Cause you can tell on his face when they destroy Hometree that he feels really bad about destroying it.

Yea, he does seem to be hurt about having to level the tree, but although he may not be the man with his finger on the trigger, he still has blood on his hands.
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on April 26, 2010, 10:53:00 PM
I believe that if selfridge had never been exposed to money, he'd be a typical person.

So would Bill Gates.

Quote from: Autakuk 'Ekong on April 27, 2010, 02:56:27 PM
Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on April 26, 2010, 10:53:00 PM

So would Bill Gates.

^Win.

The 2007 script has a little more detail about friction between Parker and Quartich that isn't there in the final cut.

LearnNavi Forums:

Na'vi Kxanìa Taronyu

I honestly believe he didn't want to do the Na'vi any harm.  After hometree fell his face definitely showed remorse.  And the fact that he was giving Grace and Jake another chance on evacuating hometree to me meant he didn't want to shed any blood.  Although IMHO he should have ordered Quarich and SecOps to return until a diplomatic solution could be made.  Although if I were him I would ask RDA to do R&D to find another way to get unobtanium WITHOUT inflicting damage on the Na'vi population.  RDA will have a revolt from a lot of people on Earth at the beginning of the sequel...I hope.

Unobtanium = Un-Obtainable
I am a Video Producer, Webpage Designer, Na'Vi enthusiast, BMW fanatic, and a Mac OS X Server Certified Server Administrator.

I am The People's Forbidden Hunter
Oel ngati kameie!

I don't know where to turn, as my future is clouded.  The future is a haze, as my path is unclear.  Will my loyalty stick with my Terran race, or will it stick with the Na'vi?

Rikxyu

It seemed to me that he was forced as well. His facial expression when Kelutrel fell and when Jake told him, "You don't want that kind of blood on your hands," (talking about the women and children that Grace mentioned) show his internal conflict. Since things are so bad on Earth and the corporation rules your life, he had to be careful. If he disobeyed his orders, the company could destroy his (and everyone-else-on-the-mission's) life. It was still evident that he didn't want to attack the Na'vi but he felt as though he had no choice.
The All Things Avatar Podcast has an episode 3 now! Download it here: http://radioavatar.podomatic.com/

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." ~Abraham Lincoln
Just look at what happened to Quaritch...

Yea, he did hesitate when Jake told him he didn't want that blood on his hands.

LearnNavi Forums:

'Itan Atxur

Yeah but that still doesn't change what he did.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Rikxyu

This gets into the definition of evil: is it what you do or what you think that makes you evil?  ???
The All Things Avatar Podcast has an episode 3 now! Download it here: http://radioavatar.podomatic.com/

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." ~Abraham Lincoln
Just look at what happened to Quaritch...

Roiki

Quote from: Rikxyu on April 30, 2010, 02:28:04 PM
This gets into the definition of evil: is it what you do or what you think that makes you evil?  ???

Point of view has a lot to do with it.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Quote from: Rikxyu on April 30, 2010, 02:28:04 PM

That all depends on the person, like Roiki said.

LearnNavi Forums: