How did your enjoyment of the movie change with each viewing?

Started by Mithcoriel, February 14, 2010, 07:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mithcoriel

Kaltxì frapo

I've seen the Avatar movie three times. The first two times I was totally mesmerized, sucked into it, enchanted, and I cried a lot. Like, the second time, my eyes even got a little wet just when Jake was running in his avatar body the first time.

Then, the third time, suddenly it wasn't a big deal at all  :o I mean, it still was an awesome movie, very enjoyable and entertaining, I'm obviously still a huge Avatar nerd or I wouldn't be on this forum, and I'm so gonna see the movie again, but I'm a bit distressed, cause it didn't feel super-super-super-awesome. It didn't suck me in quite as much. Where did all the magic go? I got worried that my amazement of the movie has worn out. Maybe there was only so many times the movie could mesmerize me, before I'd seen it all, knew by memory what would happen next, and was way too used to the plot to be amazed again. Noooo..

So I'm kinda wondering: how was it with you? Of the many times you've watched the movie, were there viewings inbetween that were a lot less enjoyable than others? Which one was your best viewing and which one was your worst?
Or does ones enjoyment of Avatar just sort of spiral downwards, with each time being slightly less special than the previous one?  :(

Kiyevame ma smuktu.
Ayoe lu aysamsiyu a plltxe "Ni" !
Aytìhawnu ayli'uyä aswok: "Ni", "Peng", si "Niiiew-wom" !

Tsa'räni

I've seen it 6 times and have enjoyed them all equally, except for the time I saw it in an IMAX theater, which was the best.  I'm sure it just depends on the individual.

Mawey Txe'lan

Kaltxì!

I've seen the movie a total of four times now. The first was in IMAX 3D, the last three were in Real 3D at a regular theater. The first time was the absolute best, the second time still made my eyes wet. The third time, like you, I felt it drop off a little. I wasn't quite sure why this was, but I think after seeing it a fourth time yesterday and feeling much more emotion than the third time I saw it, I know why. The third time I saw it with my Dad, who for some reason I felt didn't have the deep emotional enjoyment of it that I did. The other times I saw it with people who seemed to enjoy it more. The emotions from the movie do decrease a little every time I watch it, but I think it also has a lot to do with who you see it with. That might just be me, but perhaps there are different factors for different people.

Just a thought.  :)

Will Txankamuse

I've found who you watch it with makes a huge difference too.

Understanding the Na'vi made a huge difference to me, I love the unsubtitled scenes where you can understand what the Na'vi are saying, especially when it adds more meaning, but maybe that's just me.

I also play the game of trying to find the best/different seats each time... I think I've almost got it :)

Will
Txo ayngal tse'a keyeyit, oeyä txoa livu.  I am learning Na'vi too!
If you see a mistake in my post please correct me!

Please help on the Movie Lines in Na'vi wiki page

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Every time I see Avatar I love it more and more, I always find at least one new thing I haven't seen before.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Kayrìlien

Quote from: Will Txankamuse on February 14, 2010, 09:34:03 PMUnderstanding the Na'vi made a huge difference to me, I love the unsubtitled scenes where you can understand what the Na'vi are saying, especially when it adds more meaning, but maybe that's just me.
Will

This. I've only seen the movie twice, and while nothing will ever match the sheer awe of the first time, being able to understand what the Na'vi characters are saying (and notice pronunciation errors) was pretty cool. I got choked up at emotional moments both times, actually even more so the second time, even though I knew they were coming.

As much as I love the movie, I would hate for my enjoyment of it to be diminished by repeated viewings, so I'm probably going to limit myself to seeing it again in theaters only if prompted by friends. That doesn't mean I won't do a bit of, umm...nudging.  ;)

I definitely don't want to oversaturate myself in all things Avatar, because I want the fascination to last as long as possible.

Kayrìlien

edit: Your ninjapost is also very true, ma Nìwotxkrr Tìyawntsaheylu. Even obvious things like the arrows stuck in the wheels of the bulldozer at the very beginning; I didn't notice that the first time.

Technowraith

I enjoy the movie just as much as i did the first time i see it every time i see it. 35 screenings is nothing to laugh at. And most people would and do tell me i have issues or i'm addicted. Thing is, Avatar is an escape and a stress relief for me. I enjoy the time romping off world. Yeah, it's a disappointment when the credits roll at the end, but heck, there's always next time in my opinion.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Col Quaritch

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawntsaheylu on February 14, 2010, 09:55:27 PM
Every time I see Avatar I love it more and more, I always find at least one new thing I haven't seen before.

What they said.

Kxawm

I've only seen Avatar twice, both times in 3-D. The first time blew the top of my head off. I literally had never seen anything like it before and was completely drawn into Pandora. I had a hard time just keeping  up with all the wonderful eye candy on the screen (screen? what screen?  :D).

The visuals seemed less spectacular the second time, but I enjoyed the characters more. They seemed more real. And being able to understand most of what was said in Na'vi without looking at the subtitles added more depth to the story for me. I don't know if I'll see Avatar again right away (there's 'Sherlock' and 'Alice' yet to see ), but I'm definitely buying the DVD when it finally comes out. But no matter how many times I see Avatar, I'll always be grateful to Cameron for having provided me with a unique experience of that very first viewing.

Kayrìlien

Quote from: Kxawm on February 15, 2010, 01:02:06 AM
I've only seen Avatar twice, both times in 3-D. The first time blew the top of my head off. I literally had never seen anything like it before and was completely drawn into Pandora. I had a hard time just keeping  up with all the wonderful eye candy on the screen (screen? what screen?  :D).

Poanìl tìngayit plltxe. Though when I saw it in IMAX I think I might have been sitting just outside the "good seats" perimeter, as many of the things in the foreground were a bit blurry.

What I have to say I really love (and only really got the second time around) is how Jake's narration changes throughout the movie. From "I just hope this tree-hugger s*** isn't on the final" to "The aliens went back to their dying world...", you get a really good idea of how he changes. That second quote, to me, is one of the most powerful lines in the entire movie.

Kayrìlien

Mithcoriel

QuoteThing is, Avatar is an escape and a stress relief for me. I enjoy the time romping off world.

That, I think, is one of my problems. o_O
The first two times I watched it, I was under Uni stress, watching Avatar only to get some time off studying. The third time I saw it, I was enjoying my holidays, and had probably slept in that day and all.
Well dammit, I don't want to have to be under stress just to enjoy the movie. -_-

Eywayä lì'u

I also found that my emotions for the film died down on my third viewing yesterday (Imax everytime woop!), mainly due to the people I was with that time. But I I kind of enjoyed it more as my Na'vi had improved a lot from the last viewings so because I could now understand all the stuff in Na'vi said in the background it added a lot more depth to it in my opinion.
Oe prrkxentrrkrr ngeyä sa'nok!

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Mithcoriel

Quote from: Technowraith on February 14, 2010, 10:17:40 PM
I enjoy the movie just as much as i did the first time i see it every time i see it. 35 screenings is nothing to laugh at. And most people would and do tell me i have issues or i'm addicted. Thing is, Avatar is an escape and a stress relief for me. I enjoy the time romping off world. Yeah, it's a disappointment when the credits roll at the end, but heck, there's always next time in my opinion.

35 times, wow O_O
So, Ma Technowraith, you really never had a bad screening inbetween? Where you felt like "Hm, the magic is kind of gone (this time)"? The fact that you probably know every scene by memory now, doesn't impede your enjoyment of it? (But, surely the emotions, like the sad scenes, don't grasp you that strongly anymore now?)

Technowraith

Quote from: Mithcoriel on February 16, 2010, 05:50:00 PM

35 times, wow O_O
So, Ma Technowraith, you really never had a bad screening inbetween? Where you felt like "Hm, the magic is kind of gone (this time)"? The fact that you probably know every scene by memory now, doesn't impede your enjoyment of it? (But, surely the emotions, like the sad scenes, don't grasp you that strongly anymore now?)

Depends on what you mean by "bad screening." One of my screenings was interrupted by a fight. They actually stopped the movie and emptied the theater. We were given complimentary tickets to a future showing. Every scene is enjoyable, no matter how many times i've seen it. And yes, i still get emotional during all the pivotal scenes. I still miss tiny things here and there, which makes each new screening like a treasure hunt to see if i can notice things i missed the previous times around.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

MaTe

1st - whoa! what was that? I need to see it again cause I'm not sure...
2-5 - more enjoyable than first
6+ there was a drop to half of enjoyment since 5th, and it fluctuates around that level ever since. still the best way to spend 10-15$ for 3hr entertainment... though if we had proper snowfall in the mountains I'm not sure I'd watch it that many times.
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

Mithcoriel

Quote from: Technowraith on February 16, 2010, 07:15:13 PM
Quote from: Mithcoriel on February 16, 2010, 05:50:00 PM

35 times, wow O_O

Depends on what you mean by "bad screening." One of my screenings was interrupted by a fight. They actually stopped the movie and emptied the theater. We were given complimentary tickets to a future showing. Every scene is enjoyable, no matter how many times i've seen it. And yes, i still get emotional during all the pivotal scenes. I still miss tiny things here and there, which makes each new screening like a treasure hunt to see if i can notice things i missed the previous times around.

Hm, well, I guess I wouldn't call an interruption from outside a "bad" screening. I'm thinking more along the lines of "Oh damn, why didn't I enjoy it this time? My interest must be decreasing". In other words, not enjoying it for reasons inside you.

Lol, that sounds interesting. What was that fight about? ^^

Kaiatéya

Weird, I had the same experience as a lot of people here .. first time (RealD) was just mind-blowing. I actually had trouble making coherent conversation afterwards and had trouble driving home. I couldn't get it off my mind. I went home and started up my periodic habit of watching the trailer. ;D The second time I went was at a "liemax" (imax digital) with my SO .. I think we didn't get as good of seats because of the crowd, and it was not quite as fabulous as the first showing .. but still really amazing. She loved it and we both talked about it a while, and it was just great to have seen again. Third time, I went by myself to a RealD theater. This started out being a kind of ho-hum experience; I had the same feelings others have expressed, thinking: oh, well, this is fun to watch but the magic is gone. ;_; Then towards the end it got more and more intense and I got more into it again, and I ended with writing this:

http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/an-invocation/

Fourth time was with the PNW meetup group at the giant IMAX, and the viewing itself was just amazing .. yow. 6 stories tall screen. I also had the experience of enjoying more little details I had missed in the movie, and understanding more dialogue that wasn't subtitled, bad pronunciation by the sawtute, and so on. But it still just didn't quite have the same magic for me anymore. :(

I'm hoping to go again this weekend to the liemax, so we'll see what happens.

'Tsamsiyu

I understand why some people don't enjoying it more and more after a few times, but i think it does depend on who you go with.

My first - My two friends had seen it and i had only seen the trailer and some documentaries and though 'This looks pretty cool'. So my friends took me and they were telling me this was the best film they had ever seen and so on. Once i walked out of that cinema I felt like nothing before. I felt like crying, laughing and screaming all at the same time. From then on the film changed me.

My second - I went with my brother and some of his friends, this time it was my telling them how good this film was, they all thought it was spectacular, not as much of an impact as it had on me but still good, one of them described it as 'It's like watching the moon landing or something... something revolutionary'. The film still made me feel like nothing before

My third - I went with my two friends again and another who hadn't seen it, he was no where near as impacted as we were but still thought it was good. I felt incredible again, a little dampened afterwards when he wasn't moved by it as much as myself. Cinema was full of kids and annoying people though. :(

My fourth - With some 'half-friends' who I happened to be with when they were talking about it, so I went with them again, another chance to see it. These people were a bit 'empty' if I may say so, they are usually unemotional people who may think it stupid to talk about feelings and so on; so you can guess what they were like. This made me not enjoy it as much due to that factor, and that our seats weren't great.

I am hopefully going again soon with one of the friends I originally saw it, he loves it almost as much as me, and I'll inquire if he wants to join this forum, hopefully it will be even more mind-blowing than the last, I've got a good feeling about it.

Also, in my opinion the best seats are at the back, in the middle. Best sound and almost best visuals. Anyone know anything about Middle/Middle seats?

Eywa Ngahu!
Tsamsiyu oe lu. Ngeyä krr lu hasey.

'There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much' - Dr. Grace Augustine

'I dreamt I was a Warrior that could bring peace... sooner or later though... you always have to wake up...'

GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Kaiatéya

Yeah, my fifth viewing (turned out to be RealD) was actually nearly as good as the first few, and I think it comes back to what you said, who you are with. I am a pretty shy person and I tend to do that rolly-polly ball thing when I'm around a bunch of people I don't know. I went the 4th time with cool people from this forum who were still kinda new to me .. who I liked a lot, don't get me wrong :) .. and of course who were just as into the movie or more than I was .. just, I think it was distracting being in such a big crowd of new people.

I do highly recommend the going by yourself though. It's a whole different experience. You know how you kinda sink into the Pandora experience and stew in its loveliness? How it takes a few minutes to really come back from it after the movie? Well when you go by yourself you don't have to. ;D You can just leave your brain there for a while and let it fade out slowly.

I plan to go back and go by myself again at least once before it goes out of theaters.

'Itan Atxur

My 7th viewing was the best, followed by the 14th and then the 2nd. Then comes the first viewing and everything else blends together. My 15th viewing completely sucked.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE