ironic *spoilers*

Started by Hawnuyu atìtse'a, January 04, 2010, 06:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawnuyu atìtse'a

Reviewing for English exam, I saw unobtainium on the terms list on wikipedia. Needless to say I became heavily buy enjoyably distracted.
"And that's how you scatter the roaches."- Col. Miles Quaritch.

Team Quaritch Member

Rey ulte ting rey.

Étienne

Quote from: Sngä'i Tìrey-yä on January 04, 2010, 10:50:37 PM
Quote from: Étienne on January 04, 2010, 10:49:42 PM
Quote from: bagget00 on January 04, 2010, 10:47:31 PM
Quote from: Sngä'i Tìrey-yä on January 04, 2010, 09:24:10 PM
I don't see why not. The movie, while heavy and dramatic, did have a fantastic sense of humor and wit. I'm sure he enjoyed sticking in the different puns and foreshadowing as any dramatic person would do.

I nearly cracked up at the name of the stuff they were mining. Unobtanium, like unobtainable? That earned a chuckle.

unobtanium is actually a neam used on earth for a lot of different components. Like in F1 racing they call the super light metals they use unobtanium because it is so hard to make and insanely expensive.

This is indeed true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

Wow, I had no idea!

But my interest in science/racing/minerals is next to nothing so...

Google helps. Trust me I didn't know either until I googled it.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Étienne on January 04, 2010, 10:52:57 PM
Quote from: Sngä'i Tìrey-yä on January 04, 2010, 10:50:37 PM
Quote from: Étienne on January 04, 2010, 10:49:42 PM
Quote from: bagget00 on January 04, 2010, 10:47:31 PM
I don't see why not. The movie, while heavy and dramatic, did have a fantastic sense of humor and wit. I'm sure he enjoyed sticking in the different puns and foreshadowing as any dramatic person would do.

I nearly cracked up at the name of the stuff they were mining. Unobtanium, like unobtainable? That earned a chuckle.

unobtanium is actually a neam used on earth for a lot of different components. Like in F1 racing they call the super light metals they use unobtanium because it is so hard to make and insanely expensive.

This is indeed true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

Wow, I had no idea!

But my interest in science/racing/minerals is next to nothing so...

Google helps. Trust me I didn't know either until I googled it.

When discussing theoretical physics, metallurgy, and chemistry, unobtainium acts as a place holder when referring to a material that is at that point in the discussion unknown.  This somehow managed to become the 555 of ores and compounds in science fiction.
私は太った男だ。

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

Quote from: Txur'Itan on January 04, 2010, 11:06:34 PM

When discussing theoretical physics, metallurgy, and chemistry, unobtainium acts as a place holder when referring to a material that is at that point in the discussion unknown.  This somehow managed to become the 555 of ores and compounds in science fiction.

*WHOOSH*

That's the sound of what you wrote flying way over my head.
Avatar is a movie about a guy with blue balls running through the forest chasing tail.

Hawnuyu atìtse'a

It's shiny and it floats. It's a deathtrap/mecca for ADD people.
"And that's how you scatter the roaches."- Col. Miles Quaritch.

Team Quaritch Member

Rey ulte ting rey.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Hawnuyu atìtse'a on January 04, 2010, 11:08:52 PM
It's shiny and it floats. It's a deathtrap/mecca for ADD people.

LOL!
私は太った男だ。

Reronsem Si

Only thing that Unobtainium reminds me of is the "Omega 13". Though a lot of people laugh in the theater about it, I thought it was clever.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Reronsem Si on January 04, 2010, 11:18:48 PM
Only thing that Unobtainium reminds me of is the "Omega 13". Though a lot of people laugh in the theater about it, I thought it was clever.

I didn't laugh, I was concerned...
私は太った男だ。

Étienne

Quote from: Txur'Itan on January 05, 2010, 02:38:23 AM
Quote from: Reronsem Si on January 04, 2010, 11:18:48 PM

I didn't laugh, I was concerned...

I'm with you.

bagget00

hey, I thought that movie was funny.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Txur’Itan

Quote from: bagget00 on January 05, 2010, 10:19:18 AM
hey, I thought that movie was funny.

It was.  I bought on DVD, watched it in Thermian... =)
私は太った男だ。

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Heh. First, to all my fellow Tropers out there (and those who arn't) check this out:
Film- Avatar on TVTropes.org
And proof that James Cameron himself is indeed a troper: He got the term from us!
Unobtanium- TVTropes.org

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
"Better to have fought and died then never to have fought at all"
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-