Morale of Avatar (single quote)

Started by meruko, December 30, 2009, 11:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meruko

I wonder what you think of what Jake Sully says towards the end of the movie (while the RDA is leaving the planet).

QuoteThe aliens went back to their dying world.

For me it shows that he truly thinks of him self as Na'vi now as he calls them aliens. It also puts a lot of focus on the humanity again, as earth is called a "dying world".

Ftiafpi

I would agree with that interpretation of him seeing himself as Na'vi and not really human anymore. One would wonder if this is a subconscious justification of his essential betrayal against humanity but I personally feel that as a character it seems Jake has realized that humanity had lost it's way and that he felt more in common with the Na'vi then he did with humanity.

Sarkath

Plus Jake said, "I have always dreamed of flying..."  Then he gets to fly an ikran and says, "Well I may not be much of a horse guy, but I was meant to do this."  Those quotes stand out in my mind about why Jake betrayed the race that sent him to war where he lost his legs to begin with.

MaTe

"All I've ever wanted is a single thing worth fighting for", not a moral, but still... still looking for my thing :)
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

Txur’Itan

Jake is in love with being challenged...

If you go soft... Pandora will s*** you out dead with Zero warning! - Miles Quaritch

Why Save You? You have a strong heart, you showed no fear... but you are stupid, ignorant, like a child! ... No one can teach you to See - Neytiri

So you decided that you would come to the most hostile environment known to man, and and just see what it was like? - Dr. Augustine

How will I know if it chooses me? - Jake
It will try to kill you. - Neytiri
Outstanding! - Jake

----

Not only did Pandora not kill him, did he also learn to "SEE", but he gained the respect of those who completely disregarded him from the moment he came to meet them.

私は太った男だ。

Nume fpi sänume

Quote from: vidvamp01 on December 31, 2009, 02:55:55 AM
If you go soft... Pandora will s*** you out dead with Zero warning! - Miles Quaritch

Agree, 100%

Maweya tirea

Quote from: vidvamp01 on December 31, 2009, 02:55:55 AM
Jake is in love with being challenged...

Why Save You? You have a strong heart, you showed no fear... but you are stupid, ignorant, like a child! ... No one can teach you to See - Neytiri

So you decided that you would come to the most hostile environment known to man, and and just see what it was like? - Dr. Augustine

How will I know if it chooses me? - Jake
It will try to kill you. - Neytiri
Outstanding! - Jake

----

Not only did Pandora not kill him, did he also learn to "SEE", but he gained the respect of those who completely disregarded him from the moment he came to meet them.

Well put.  :)
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Numeie

Quote from: meruko on December 30, 2009, 11:43:56 AM
I wonder what you think of what Jake Sully says towards the end of the movie (while the RDA is leaving the planet).

For me it shows that he truly thinks of him self as Na'vi now as he calls them aliens.
Realising that you are an alien is an important part of moving cross-culturally. You get some ex-pats who live in gated communities and think of the local people as foreigners: that's the kind of attitude that Col. Quaritch has. It's a big step to see that I'm the foreigner, and they belong here.

So calling the humans aliens doesn't mean that his self-identity has changed. I see the key word as "their". Earth is now a foreign place to Jake. That's the true indication that he's moved beyond recognising that he is an outsider to integration in a way that changes his self-identity.
Hispanohablantes, si queréis contribuir al wiki de Avatar en español os lo agradecería. http://es.james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/

Atanä mungeyu

well i like AVATAR so much because it shows a beautiful planet,which isn't ruined by economical stuff like ours.., with so much nature, but also a huge spiritual connection between everything there.(think of tsaheylu)
eywa ayngahu
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

nederlandse pocket guide door mij en txura tirea.

fkeua vrrtep

Quote from: meruko on December 30, 2009, 11:43:56 AM

For me it shows that he truly thinks of him self as Na'vi now as he calls them aliens. It also puts a lot of focus on the humanity again, as earth is called a "dying world".

So called humanity didn't/doesn't value the chance and the beatiful world it was given ,instead they are standing against those things that they should love , I guess that's the never ending bloodrush humanity has fallen into and it's not going to stop until it has annihilated itself , the life giving woods which granted life and everything we needed to us are now slowly burning down to ashes until nothing stays than charred leftovers which are the mirrors being hold to our faces reveiling our true face , our dark soul ,  fading away in the form of white snow being blown away into the past by the wind , I guess the realization of what we are doing to our planet , our nature , our environment will as always come too late , humanity is like a cold machinery , losing itself to greed and corruption until we will come to the point where we becamewhat we ve been working towards for ages , heartless monsters with only one will , to possess and destroy everything that will hinder it on it's way , the beauty of life does not lie in what you own , it lies in what you share with your people , the richdom of life does not lie in numbers printed on paper , it lies in knowledge and understanding , if humanity will not understand these things it will simply fade away some time from this earth just like humanity had burned down it's real home , fade away life until it diminishes and nothing is left over than a empty heartless shell .

This movie is trying to give us a message , to not forget who we are and where we come from , to not lose ourselfs to false ideals that we are being taught by ignorant and selfish people who call themselves our leaders .
our free will has been taken from us and has been replaced with corruption our mind has been manipulated by false prophets which are leading us right into extinction if we continue just like we did all the centuries before , if you open your eyes and lookout through history you will agree , no other kind of species before has managed to literally kill in such huge numbers just like we do , ironically we do it to ourselves , it makes me sick being a part of so called civilization , to be honest we have fallen ages behind , instead of walking forward we took one step forward and took 3 steps back and ended up in that swamp of manipulation , corruption , evilness , greed and it's going further down with every species being driven towards extinction by us , with every tree thats being struck down  we are adding more and more cars to our souls and our hearts , I hope one day the whole humanity will lay down its
horrific ideals and come back to what really matters .

Our stupidity , insanity and ignorance manifests itself in the enormous collosi of steal and concrete reaching high into the endless sky , looking down on us .

Call me crazy , or whatever you want to , but I know I am right , and that's just the way I feel , I'd give away the meaningless possess I am offered in this world at anytime to live as a free being in a free world and not having any bonds binding me to this selfdestructing machinery of hate , it's too sad that it's probably never going to happen , at least I can hold this beatiful memory of a free world within myself that was granted to me and everyone else who values it until I finally fade away from this world aswell, hopefully leaving towards a better place .
I wanted you to know
I love the way you laugh
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain away
I keep your photograph
I know it serves me well
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain

'cause i'm broken,
when i'm lonesome
and i don't feel right
when you're gone away

Toruk Makto

Some questions, if I may: Avatar shows us how bad we can be. Can you (or anyone, for that matter) train yourself to stand above these worst traits of our species? Can you see past the filters that have been placed over your consciousness by others that want to control you? Can you see reality clearly enough to help forge the path to the ideals you have stated? If the answer is no, then you are trapped and will be unable to help save our world. If the answer is yes, then open your mind to what is possible, not just what is easy. Thinking is easy. Don't wait for the next world. Don't just ponder your solutions. Go create them.

My philosophy is that you don't have to be larger than life, or even a Na'vi. Just be a little better than the person that's next to you and you will add positive energy to your world. And in the balance, you will get back what you put in.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

fkeua vrrtep

Quote from: Txepäsiyu on January 04, 2010, 06:38:13 PM
 Some questions, if I may: Avatar shows us how bad we can be. Can you (or anyone, for that matter) train yourself to stand above these worst traits of our species? Can you see past the filters that have been placed over your consciousness by others that want to control you? Can you see reality clearly enough to help forge the path to the ideals you have stated? If the answer is no, then you are trapped and will be unable to help save our world. If the answer is yes, then open your mind to what is possible, not just what is easy. Thinking is easy. Don't wait for the next world. Don't just ponder your solutions. Go create them.

My philosophy is that you don't have to be larger than life, or even a Na'vi. Just be a little better than the person that's next to you and you will add positive energy to your world. And in the balance, you will get back what you put in.

It feels to me like the energy i need to do that is constantly being drained from me , like a parasite absorbing my willpower , the only thing that's left over is the realization that your people have become victims to corruption , everytime you try to do something about it you will feel a constant rain of hate hail down on your shoulders and you get pushed down onto your knees again , I also have nobody to relate to considering "doing something" .
just like as if you would plant a flower or a young tree and it instantly wrinkles  , it's not really making you want to go on , sometimes I think it's all hopeless and the chance to do something has been refused too many times .
I would so love to do something but I need some encouragement , I need a proof that it's not too late already or a person who just pushes me .

I wanted you to know
I love the way you laugh
I keep your photograph
I know it serves me well

'cause i'm broken,
when i'm lonesome
and i don't feel right
when you're gone away

Toruk Makto

Quote from: fkeua vrrtep on January 04, 2010, 06:56:29 PM
I would so love to do something but I need some encouragement , I need a proof that it's not too late already or a person who just pushes me .

How about the role model of director Jim Cameron that convinced a huge company like Fox to front $300,000,000.00 to make a film with the epic force of Avatar? And in doing so, brought home the message that we have to decide now what we want to do with this world? Of course Fox is just in it for the money. But still, the message is out and is being told with an emotional impact that I don't think has ever been seen before. Damn, but I find that encouraging!  :)

Mako

I wanted to point out that this movie has already united many different cultures, races, countries. If us who understand this movie for what it is worth, this could prove to be a major tool in overcoming racisim. That's why the government doesn't like it, because they see it's potential.

fkeua vrrtep

Quote from: Sänumeyu on January 04, 2010, 07:08:14 PM
I wanted to point out that this movie has already united many different cultures, races, countries. If us who understand this movie for what it is worth, this could prove to be a major tool in overcoming racisim. That's why the government doesn't like it, because they see it's potential.

agree , we are all the same and I hope that someday everyone will realize that and to work together for a brighter future and hopefully a free world for free people.
I wanted you to know
I love the way you laugh
I keep your photograph
I know it serves me well

'cause i'm broken,
when i'm lonesome
and i don't feel right
when you're gone away

Toruk Makto

Powerfully presented stories like Avatar, with real and important moral and ethical messages can be more persuasive than any government because they act on the primitive emotional level where people are truly motivated. IMO, filmmakers should scare the hell out of most governments because they have an ability those governments will never have. The ability to change people's minds.

Mako

+1,000,000,000 And if only more people would act on those instincts instead of talking about them and twiddling their thumbs idlely.

fkeua vrrtep

Quote from: Sänumeyu on January 04, 2010, 07:23:35 PM
+1,000,000,000 And if only more people would act on those instincts instead of talking about them and twiddling their thumbs idlely.

I guess that's the problem , everyone talks about their wishes at some time , but they are too unwilling or caught in their own depression or fear to act , it doesn't mean that they are too lazy to do it , maybe it's just the way humans are , they need a leader who stands for their wishes and hopes .

Maybe you have to take it in your own hands and discover life for yourself or with friends , because if you are waiting for a sudden happening that makes all of us unite and stand for what we all want to be , you are probably going to wait for a long time ,but as I said every human wants to be free , a free individual , free in the actual sense of being free , being unbound to rules or laws that tie you to the society that's trying to force you to live in a specific way they want you to , life could be so much fuller with happyness and hope if people would finally unite and free themselves from their unwanted boundaries .
I wanted you to know
I love the way you laugh
I keep your photograph
I know it serves me well

'cause i'm broken,
when i'm lonesome
and i don't feel right
when you're gone away

Toruk Makto

Bingo! That has been my mode of operation for most of my life and I am a very happy person (if I do say so myself!)  :D

Atanä mungeyu

well avatar is made in a beautiful planet which also shows a huge spiritual connection between everything.
but it also shows us about ourselves,because the humans attacked pandora because of their resource needs and that's also starting to happen to us because of the huge overpopulation on earth. i mean humans could be invading other planets soon like the movie if it continues like this..
eywa ngahu
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

nederlandse pocket guide door mij en txura tirea.