next time you see Avatar, look for...

Started by Will Txankamuse, January 27, 2010, 04:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txontaw

Quote from: Technowraith on January 27, 2010, 08:51:50 PM
Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 27, 2010, 08:39:26 PM
Fair enough. :)  I hadn't looked too closely at that part of the guide.

When you get a chance, definitely give that section a read. in fact, the whole book is wealth of information. It's helping me with my fan fic that i'm writing in the Fan fic section of the forum.

I thought you were writing it in the Beginner's forum! /sarcasm

I wish I had the monies to get that book. It looks so awesome!
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Will Txankamuse

I'm back, and I have more...

I actually noticed the lemurs (can't remember the exact word for them, but the creatures you see early on in the film that are 'harmless') only have one queue (neural whip, queue, call it what you want... in the scriptment James Cameron calls it a neural whip!).  So there's two creatures with only one.

And I'm pretty sure Ikran only have four limbs, because their rear wings attach to their rear legs, while Toruk have six, having a completely separate set of legs at the rear not attached to wings.   I'll try and get a reference or at least some images to confirm this.

edit: found it here

Quote from: pandorapedia
The Na'vi are also one of only a very few vertebrate tetrapods (four limbs) among a bestiary filled with hexapods (six limbs). The other notable exception is the Ikran (banshee), which also appears to be unique among Pandora's flying vertebrates for having only one pair of primary wings. The Ikran's secondary wings are extensions of their rear legs. All other flying genus identified so far, (such as the Great Leonopteryx) possess two pair of wings and dedicated hind legs. But this is suspected to be an example of parallel evolution, with the Ikran simply loosing a pair of wings. It is unlikely that a direct line between the Na'vi and Ikran will be drawn without going extremely far back in time.
Edit2: and yes I did try and look at every tsaheylu in the movie (even Neytiri and the palulukan) and they were always left queue...  but there were a lot of aypa'li in that battle..!  oh, and I updated the OP with two more.

Will
Txo ayngal tse'a keyeyit, oeyä txoa livu.  I am learning Na'vi too!
If you see a mistake in my post please correct me!

Please help on the Movie Lines in Na'vi wiki page

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Will Txankamuse on January 27, 2010, 04:10:01 PM
I'm going to see Avatar again tonight and then on Saturday, so I'm trying to come up with a list of little things I'm trying to spot/confirm - please reply here and I'll add them to the list. Some are sourced from this forum, others I just spotted myself and others sourced from other fora.

- Pictures of Neytiri's sister on the fridge in the Shack
- Avatars have five fingers and toes, Na'vi only have four
- When Quaritch finds the Module near the end of the film, look for it appearing on his radar display
- Ikran and Na'vi have four limbs but all other creatures you see in the film have six (including Toruk).
- When the armada takes off from Hells Gate to destroy the Tree of Souls, watch for the guard outside getting his cap blown off
- A Na'vi bow and other Na'vi items in Selfridges office on the wall
- While all creatures on Pandora have neural whips, only the Na'vi have no muscular control of them, all others can manipulate them to some degree.  Na'vi are also the only creature with just one neural whip.
- Jake's tail, when he is first practicing his bow, goes straight to counterbalance himself.  I'm going to try and look for other tail movements.
- Do Na'vi always Tsaheylu with the left neutral whip? [b- ]That's what I also remembered[/b]
- Jake's locker on the ISV says 'Sully T' but his AVTR backpack on Pandora says 'Sully J'.  His recruitment on Earth must have been really last minute :) - I thik it's because of his brother.

NEW ones
- Neytiri has a five fingered white handprint on her chest in the final battle, implying Jake probably 'helped her' with her preparations
- You can see the balls of one of the Hammerhead Titanotheres as it runs past Neytiri near the end (don't ask).- Only one that I missed haha.

More to come as I think of them...

Will

Irayo.

Tutean-tìhawnu

Anyone noticed the use of gaffa/duct tape in the film?

I know that the remote link Jake uses (in the shack, site 26, Unit 1, Beulah) has a few strips of tape on the green "gel" thing they lay on. Also the bullet holes in Trude's gunship are covered in tape during the main battle.
Kìyevame ma aytsmuktu, Eywa ngahu

join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

kintìomum

Now, looking at the original list I think I spotted most of the points.
- Pictures of Neytiri's sister on the fridge in the Shack
I don't know if Neytiri's sister is somewhere on the fridge but it shows some of the kids that Grace is greeting later when she's allowed to return to Hometree (although they have grown a bit).

- Avatars have five fingers and toes, Na'vi only have four
First time to see: Jake 's Avatar running/catching the fruit Grace tosses and Neytiri on the branch when Jake stumbles through the wood.

- When Quaritch finds the Module near the end of the film, look for it appearing on his radar display
Interesting. Never thought if this happens...

- Ikran and Na'vi have four limbs but all other creatures you see in the film have six (including Toruk).
The prolemuris have kinda 2 and 2 double-limbs... Other creatures all have six.

- When the armada takes off from Hells Gate to destroy the Tree of Souls, watch for the guard outside getting his cap blown off
Yeah, stupid one. With that much helicopters lifting off one should think of holding the cap tight.

- A Na'vi bow and other Na'vi items in Selfridges office on the wall
The bow seems pretty big, I guess it might be higher than Selfridge standing upright... But there's just one shot were you'll be able to see it, all other shots are too close to Selfridge to show the bow.

- While all creatures on Pandora have neural whips, only the Na'vi have no muscular control of them, all others can manipulate them to
   some degree.  Na'vi are also the only creature with just one neural whip.
Partially agreed. The prolemuris have a single queue, too.

- Jake's tail, when he is first practicing his bow, goes straight to counterbalance himself.  I'm going to try and look for other tail
   movements.
Another one I haven't paid too much attention to.

- Do Na'vi always Tsaheylu with the left neutral whip?
As far as I saw yes. And regarding that they all hold their bow in the right hand and use the left to draw it would get in conflict with using the right queue.

- Jake's locker on the ISV says 'Sully T' but his AVTR backpack on Pandora says 'Sully J'.  His recruitment on Earth must have been really last minute :)
Funny thing that I noticed in the first viewing. About the time when Jake says "Tommy was the one who wanted to be shot out several light years..."

- Neytiri has a five fingered white handprint on her chest in the final battle, implying Jake probably 'helped her' with her preparations
I saw that and have been watching if Jake got a four-fingered hand on his chest but he's either carrying way too much equipment or there's none. But Tsu'tey's war paint is made up of four very large (oversized) prints of four-fingered hands. One on either side of the chest and the same on the back with the fingers pointing towards the shoulders.

- You can see the balls of one of the Hammerhead Titanotheres as it runs past Neytiri near the end (don't ask).
Hu? Hmm, that's some easter egg :D

And one more:
- Quaritch is no man to give commands when he can do it himself. In every scene inside the Dragon's cockpit he's fiddling with the pilots controls instead of giving orders (redirecting the cams on Jake and Grace bound to the ceremonial and pushing the controls when he sees Jake on the hull).
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

I did notice that of all the Na'vi featured in the film, none of them seemed to have as pronounced tail reactions as Jake does in his AVTR.
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: Tukru Tsamsiyu on January 29, 2010, 01:01:02 PM
I did notice that of all the Na'vi featured in the film, none of them seemed to have as pronounced tail reactions as Jake does in his AVTR.

Well if I suddenly acquired a tail I would over use it too.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Tsawkeyä Unilyu

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawntsaheylu on January 29, 2010, 01:17:16 PM

Who wouldn't?
"How much lab training have you had?"
     -Dr. Grace Augustine
"I dissected a frog once."
     -Jake Sully

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawntsaheylu on January 29, 2010, 01:17:16 PM

Agreed, altough Neytiri was swinging her tail from time to time too. It must give you so much more balance and agility.

markus031098

I think the reason that all Na'vi get on there ikran on the left is because most humans are right handed, 90% of them. So Using you're stronger hand to climb aboard something would make more sense and would be quicker. And then they connect the left bond because it's the first one they can get. Just because most humans are right handed doesn't mean it applies to Na'vi but it would look better to the audience.
I'm getting a pet viperwolf for Christmas!

Tirea Pa'li

Quote- Do Na'vi always Tsaheylu with the left neutral whip?
As far as I saw yes. And regarding that they all hold their bow in the right hand and use the left to draw it would get in conflict with using the right queue.

I have wondered about this. Thanks for the explanation its really logical.
Can someone who had some training in archery explain if the na`vi shooting technique is common here on Earth? 
From all the weapons you have used against us, we always feared your guns least!

Technowraith

Quote from: Tirea Pa'li on January 30, 2010, 05:42:17 AM

Can someone who had some training in archery explain if the na`vi shooting technique is common here on Earth? 

Na'vi Archery technique discussion

Go there.  It's a complete and on-going discussion about the Na'vi archery technique. There is some references to real worl use of the technique though. Check it out. It's a good read.

See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Tirea Pa'li

Quote from: Technowraith on January 30, 2010, 09:21:06 AM
Quote from: Tirea Pa'li on January 30, 2010, 05:42:17 AM

Na'vi Archery technique discussion

Go there.  It's a complete and on-going discussion about the Na'vi archery technique. There is some references to real worl use of the technique though. Check it out. It's a good read.

Thank you! +1 karma for that nice link!
From all the weapons you have used against us, we always feared your guns least!

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Tutean-tìhawnu on January 28, 2010, 04:20:59 AM
Anyone noticed the use of gaffa/duct tape in the film?

I know that the remote link Jake uses (in the shack, site 26, Unit 1, Beulah) has a few strips of tape on the green "gel" thing they lay on. Also the bullet holes in Trude's gunship are covered in tape during the main battle.

Proves the fact once again the duct tape fixes everything.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Tutean-tìhawnu

Indeed, even in 2154 it's still the most important thing out there ;D
Kìyevame ma aytsmuktu, Eywa ngahu

join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

kintìomum

"Duct tape is like the Force: It has a bright side and a dark side and holds the universe together."
(don't know whom it's from but it's a somewhat sticky statement...)

Got another one: When the RDA-soldiers retreat before the nantang Eywa sent there's one who yells: "Get out, I'll get us cover".
And then he turns around and leaves his comrades...
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

Technowraith

I spotted this glitch yesterday:

The scene where Jake meets Quaritch and Quaritch goes into his AMP suit. During the course of that scene, you'll see a technician attach a long red warning banner that says "Remove before operation" to what appears to be the ammo belt of the AMP suit. Throughout Jake and Quaritch's conversation, the view changes and see the banner still attached to the ammo belt. When Quaritch activates the AMP suit, you see in the angle shot a glimpse of the warning banner still. In the next instant, Quaritch "flexes his muscles" in the AMP suit, in which the warning banner is not attached to the ammo belt anymore. I paid close attention to see if there was any possible timing that could allow for the removal of the banner, but i didn't see any. If any one else notices, let me know.  ;D
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Technowraith on January 31, 2010, 09:54:59 AM
I spotted this glitch yesterday:

The scene where Jake meets Quaritch and Quaritch goes into his AMP suit. During the course of that scene, you'll see a technician attach a long red warning banner that says "Remove before operation" to what appears to be the ammo belt of the AMP suit. Throughout Jake and Quaritch's conversation, the view changes and see the banner still attached to the ammo belt. When Quaritch activates the AMP suit, you see in the angle shot a glimpse of the warning banner still. In the next instant, Quaritch "flexes his muscles" in the AMP suit, in which the warning banner is not attached to the ammo belt anymore. I paid close attention to see if there was any possible timing that could allow for the removal of the banner, but i didn't see any. If any one else notices, let me know.  ;D
I'll try look for tha , if and when I see Avatar again.
It's also possible that the banne go ripped off hen Quaritch was flexing his muscles haha :)

Eyamsiyu

I didn't see Paul's name on it, but according to the Avatar Wiki, Grace wrote the book, and it is mostly about the botany of the planet Pandora.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

Eyamsiyu

Ok, well, if that's the case, then Paul's got a book already! :P

JK.