Pandoran Seasons

Started by Hufwe Makto, January 02, 2010, 12:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hufwe Makto

aaah That brings me back to gears of war 2 somehow but I don't want to bore you with that. They probably have a hybrid between reptiles and mammals on pandora. And other species types that we don't have due to the special seasons and conditions on pandora

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Maweya tirea on January 05, 2010, 07:17:21 PM
Quote from: Hufwe Makto on January 05, 2010, 07:12:40 PM
Did the guide tell you if pandora has poles like our planet does? I wonder if there is a furry species of na'vi in the colder climate zones...
As well as feathered flying creatures. That would be interesting.

It would explain the flights o the Na'vi arrows.

Most/all of the creatures I saw had exposed skin.
私は太った男だ。

Ikran

Quote from: Taronyu on January 05, 2010, 07:48:27 PM
It should also be mentioned that seasons would be affected by Polyphemus, as the moon would most likely hold the same face to the planet (as this is the most stable of operations), and the planet would influence therefore Pandora's axis to the sun's light depending on the eliptical orbit and the nature of it's own axis.

Yes. The length of a Pandoran day is the same as an orbital period, something we can find in several satellites of Jupiter and Saturn. And of course, that will have an impact on the global climate of Pandora, but that has nothing to do with seasons! By definition, seasons depend only on the variation of the position of the Sun on the sky during a "year", and this is only related to the tilt of the rotational axis of Pandora and the inclination of its orbital plane with respect to the ecliptic (which in turn it's related to the tilt of the rotational axis of Polyphemus).

We should bear in mind the difference between climate patterns and seasons. Polyphemus, Aplha Centauri B, etc, will affect Pandora's weather, but not its seasons.

Taronyu

Quote from: Txur'Itan on January 05, 2010, 08:27:43 PM
Did the guide tell you if pandora has poles like our planet does? I wonder if there is a furry species of na'vi in the colder climate zones...

There's a feather plant, bellicum punnatum, the warbonnet ferm. In na'vi eyaye. Feathers come from that.

Maweya tirea

Quote from: Taronyu on January 05, 2010, 09:30:28 PM
Quote from: Txur'Itan on January 05, 2010, 08:27:43 PM

There's a feather plant, bellicum punnatum, the warbonnet ferm. In na'vi eyaye. Feathers come from that.
Don't forget insect wings, almost like the goggle-like things they wore while flying
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Night Raider

Yep, this is in the Survival Guide. And Maweya tirea, the hand grenade and your nickname don't sound right together  :D
Is this right? I just write whatever in the signature box?

Reronsem Si

There may or may not be seasons on Pandora. More or less Pandora seems to be a perpetual rain forest, much like equatorial rain forests on earth. Rain forests do go through seasons, but nothing in the extremes of areas located much closer to the axial poles. Since Pandora and its mother planet are located in a multiple star system, this would change how the moon is warmed by the stars, vastly effecting the weather as well. Probably wont get a full explanation from anyone since the idea of seasons isn't really important to the Avatar story.

My short theory is it's like Tatooine, a never ending season.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Night Raider on January 05, 2010, 09:50:32 PM

Yep, this is in the Survival Guide.

I should probably buy it then.
私は太った男だ。

Atanä mungeyu

I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

nederlandse pocket guide door mij en txura tirea.

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

Quote from: Reronsem Si on January 05, 2010, 10:25:36 PM

Yea, I'd probably have to agree this is the most realistic, although I would still like to see something akin to a typhoon season where they experience really heavy rains everyday or something.

Does it ever rain on Pandora? I don't remember seeing anything but sun, but how would the water be carried to some of the plants and trees closer inside the forest?
Avatar is a movie about a guy with blue balls running through the forest chasing tail.

Atanä mungeyu

Quote from: Sngä'i Tìrey-yä on January 06, 2010, 03:57:15 PM

Yea, I'd probably have to agree this is the most realistic, although I would still like to see something akin to a typhoon season where they experience really heavy rains everyday or something.

Does it ever rain on Pandora? I don't remember seeing anything but sun, but how would the water be carried to some of the plants and trees closer inside the forest?
well actually the part where neytiri and jake are out hunting in the forest in the morning(small part) it's foggy and a bit rainy
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

nederlandse pocket guide door mij en txura tirea.

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

Quote from: unil-tìran-tokx on January 06, 2010, 04:00:15 PM
Quote from: Sngä'i Tìrey-yä on January 06, 2010, 03:57:15 PM

well actually the part where neytiri and jake are out hunting in the forest in the morning(small part) it's foggy and a bit rainy

That's right, forgot about that. Fog would probably be sufficient, like in that South American desert that gets all its moisture from fog off the Pacific...
Avatar is a movie about a guy with blue balls running through the forest chasing tail.

Hufwe Makto

Actually there is rain in the movie. While Jake is doing one of his video logs on the hallelujah mountain base it's raining outside. I doubt that they have a serious hurricane-typhoon-tornado-any-other- storm-system season because there isn't a large ocean for the storms to pick up any real speed due to the fragmented continental plates. I bet it rains a s*** though. Trees as big as hometree need a lot of water if there isn't an underground water resevoir that the trees tap into. The fragmented continenfts would also explain why the weather is so humid looking.

Reronsem Si

Quote from: Hufwe Makto on January 06, 2010, 04:06:47 PM
I bet it rains a s*** though. Trees as big as hometree need a lot of water if there isn't an underground water resevoir that the trees tap into. The fragmented continenfts would also explain why the weather is so humid looking.

They actually found that the California Redwoods absorb water from fog and clouds as well as water from the earth. Part of the evolution to the climate, the Redwood adapted to survive, pretty sure Hometree does the same. By the way it rained many times in the film. Jakes first hunt is a prime scene for that.

Hufwe Makto

Yes good point there was a lot of fog in the movie.

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

Pff, don't know how I managed to forget all the rainy scenes. I guess maybe it didn't click because it still rained less (we were shown) than a traditional rainforest.

Hufwe Makto

Yeah I don't think it's classified as a rainforest. Maybe something like "slightly rainy forest with an extremely tropical enviroment" lol

Coyote

I was wondering "where does all the water come from for those waterfalls in the Hallelujah Mountains?"

Maybe the tops of the floating mountains are constantly scraping the clouds?
In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Hufwe Makto

I was wondering that too. Anyone have an argument? Do the mounains get snow caps? That might eplain some of it.

Reronsem Si

Just constant condensation because the mountains themselves float within the atmospheres that clouds form. The waterfalls also seem to make more clouds, so it's a never ending cycle of condensing and evaporation.