Pandoran Seasons

Started by Hufwe Makto, January 02, 2010, 12:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hufwe Makto

I've been wondering for a long time if Pandora has seasons, like hot and  cold times during the year. how long is a year and what is one year on Pandora? one revolution around Polyphemus or around ACA? is there an entire dark season due to the shadow cast by Polyphemus? what direction does Pandora spin? is it a stationary satellite and always flies above the same place? does the same side of Pandora always face Polyphemus like our moon? how long is one day? month?

tawtirea

Probably it has some kind of seasons, but it's hard to tell as we aren't even sure if alpha centauri is binary or even triple star system (proxima centaury is suspected to be bound by gravity to ACA).. so actualy there are infinite possibilities and we can just guess for now :)

Maweya tirea

what if pandora had a completely new season that we have never thought of?

Just throwing that out there. :)
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

I find it hard to imagine a season we've never thought of... even on earth on the different continents there are different lengths/types of seasons. In the end there's always a wet season of growth, and a dry season of death, although I have a hard time imagining Pandora ever experiencing a drought!
Avatar is a movie about a guy with blue balls running through the forest chasing tail.

Maweya tirea

I know and agree but just to try and imagine is entertaining  ;)
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

That's true!

I like to imagine that maybe Pandora goes through periods of time like the Arctic and Antarctic here on earth where it'll be 24 hours of day or night. Although the day doesn't really do anything special I think a month of night on Pandora would be amazingly beautiful.
Avatar is a movie about a guy with blue balls running through the forest chasing tail.

Tirealì'u

In a way, if the planet blocks the light from Pandora for significant periods of time, that could almost, in a way, be a 'season' - but a season that could happen at different points of the year, during other seasons.

Sort of.

Taronyu

I read the guide book, and there is nothing on seasons. We get season's from having a messed up axis. Assumedly, Pandora, being a moon, is always in line with it's planet (part of the reason the Hallelujah mountains stay the same). This planet revolves around one of the three Centauri stars. Seasons would therefore be a very difficult thing to predict (not to mention that Pandora spins against most of other Polyphemus moons).

Ridiculous non-scientific conjecture taken from the Guide.

Atanä mungeyu

it could be that there's no winter,if pandora had a round orbit around its sun.
that would be a good reason for all the plants growing so big.
well that's just my theory...
eywa ayngahu
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

nederlandse pocket guide door mij en txura tirea.

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

So there's no winter or change in seasons, but does the book site anything about periods of constant day or night?

Ikran

Seasons have nothing to do with Polyphemus. As in any other world, seasons are only related to the tilt of the rotational axis. Of course, Polyphemus' eclipses should last 'days' or hours and affect Pandora's global climate patterns.

Hufwe Makto

Did the guide tell you if pandora has poles like our planet does? I wonder if there is a furry species of na'vi in the colder climate zones...

Maweya tirea

Quote from: Hufwe Makto on January 05, 2010, 07:12:40 PM
Did the guide tell you if pandora has poles like our planet does? I wonder if there is a furry species of na'vi in the colder climate zones...
As well as feathered flying creatures. That would be interesting.
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Hufwe Makto

Yes although I'm all for huge flying bats (the banshee) that planet needs some cute and cuddly animals

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

Like an abominable snow man Na'vi? I guess all over hair could be interesting, although would it be blue or black?

I think more likely they would take the route of humans and wear animal pelts and thicker cloths in colder weather. I don't remember seeing any poles on the view of Pandora from space, and we should be able to see white spots like on earth.

Maweya tirea

Quote from: Hufwe Makto on January 05, 2010, 07:22:27 PM
Yes although I'm all for huge flying bats (the banshee) that planet needs some cute and cuddly animals

Agreed  :)
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

You mean something that doesn't want to kill you and eat your eyes for jujubees?

Taronyu

There are ice-caps. They are currently unattached to land masses. There are sub-artic regions, where fauna live.

There are some nights when it is darker, due to the gas giant. However, the two other suns normally shed light enough to see.

It should also be mentioned that seasons would be affected by Polyphemus, as the moon would most likely hold the same face to the planet (as this is the most stable of operations), and the planet would influence therefore Pandora's axis to the sun's light depending on the eliptical orbit and the nature of it's own axis.

Hufwe Makto

Quote from: Sngä'i Tìrey-yä on January 05, 2010, 07:44:28 PM

You mean something that doesn't want to kill you and eat your eyes for jujubees?
.       Yeah something like rabbits only three times bigger... So it will probably chew a nice hole in your leg ;D

Maweya tirea

Not if you have the holy hand grenade!  :D
God síltsan lu!!!!!