Something that just can not be described.

Started by pbhead, February 28, 2010, 11:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archaic

Quote from: Kireyan on March 10, 2010, 02:26:45 AM

I'll probably also mod the srt to make the subtitles Helvetica, because papyrus is the only thing wrong with Avatar

Not Helvetica, this stuff is nasty! (IMO)
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Kìte'eyä Aungia

Quote from: SirHaxalot on March 10, 2010, 02:06:33 PM
Unless they burn in the subtitles.

Should be easy to tell. If they're burnt in then non-English versions of the film will have subtitles for the subtitles, yes? Has anyone here watched Avatar in a non-English language?

Dern

Quote from: Kìte'eyä Aungia on March 13, 2010, 02:34:03 PM
Should be easy to tell. If they're burnt in then non-English versions of the film will have subtitles for the subtitles, yes? Has anyone here watched Avatar in a non-English language?

Yes. I've seen it with Czech dubbing both in IMAX and in regular 3D and both versions have English subtitles hardcoded during Na'vi parts. So there are two rows of subtitles - yellow EN and default white CZ below them.

'Tsamsiyu

There are so many small things within the film that increase it's impact 10 fold, for me it was the scene under Tree of Voices with Neytiri and Jake, it was acted perfectly and the timing was unbelievable... I quote...

Neytiri - 'You are Omaticaya now, and you may make your own bow from the wood of Hometree...'
Then she turns away so as not to look him in the eye when she says

'and you may choose a woman...'
she then busies herself with an Atokarina to make it look like she isn't that bothered with the conversation.

'We have many fine women...' At this point you can just about see Jake's face almost turning into a smile

'Ninat is the best singer...' 'Well i don't want Ninat.' Neytiri smiles to herself so as to not show Jake what she thinks or hopes he might say.

'Peyral is a good hunter...' 'Yeah, she is a good hunter...' He then pauses briefly and you see Neytiri's face fall slightly, I can just imagine being in her position and feeling my heart drop to hear something like that.

'But I've already chosen...' Neytiri turns around and looks down 'But this woman must also choose me' She looks up and sees the look in Jake's eyes and she knows, she just does. She then continues with 'She already has...'
...and so they bond in front of Eywa...

Truthfully, I love this film too much, more than any person should really... but James Cameron... man, what a Genius.
Tsamsiyu oe lu. Ngeyä krr lu hasey.

'There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much' - Dr. Grace Augustine

'I dreamt I was a Warrior that could bring peace... sooner or later though... you always have to wake up...'

GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Txura eyktan

i have an unhealthily high love for htis film as well..  It is not just a film.. it is art that touches us deelply.. far inside our racial memory.. back to a time when we werent't too dissimilar form the na'vi... the world would be far better were we to have remained so connected to the land =d .. but it isnt too late so long as we still draw breath... James Cameron is a genius indeed...
'Awve ultxari ohengeyä, Nawma Sa'nok lrrtok siveiyi.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Dern on March 13, 2010, 04:51:38 PM
Quote from: Kìte'eyä Aungia on March 13, 2010, 02:34:03 PM

Yes. I've seen it with Czech dubbing both in IMAX and in regular 3D and both versions have English subtitles hardcoded during Na'vi parts. So there are two rows of subtitles - yellow EN and default white CZ below them.

Well, the Swedish version doesn't have burned in subtitles, at least not the Analog 2D version.

Tsu'roen

Quote from: archaic on March 09, 2010, 03:33:28 AM
Quote from: Tirey Hawnuyu on March 08, 2010, 08:18:21 PM
Quote from: Tukruyä Tsamsiyu on March 08, 2010, 03:28:38 PM
I'll bet it will, all we gotta do is ask James Cameron to put a "Na'vi ni'aw" option on the Subtitles menu.

LOL ;D ;D

if you don't get the blue-ray version or if you have a blu-ray capable computer (note this is probably illegal and am by no means promoting this as an option) you can use software (like handbreak for mac) to rip it and then use VLC to detect and remove the .srt file. But it will probably have a Na'vi ni'aw option.

Euwa ngahu.

Probably find the english subtitles are embedded in the image files.

Actually we can find that out!
Anyone here who's seen a non english version, are english subtitles on screen during the Na'vi dialog scenes?
They are for sure not embedded. The German version for example has only German subtitles.
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

10x (1x 2D, 3x Real 3D, 6x IMAX 3D)
1x Special Ed. (1x IMAX 3D)

archaic

Quote from: Hufwe Tsamsiyu on March 13, 2010, 05:12:59 PM
There are so many small things within the film that increase it's impact 10 fold, for me it was the scene under Tree of Voices with Neytiri and Jake, it was acted perfectly and the timing was unbelievable... I quote...

Neytiri - 'You are Omaticaya now, and you may make your own bow from the wood of Hometree...'
Then she turns away so as not to look him in the eye when she says

'and you may choose a woman...'
she then busies herself with an Atokarina to make it look like she isn't that bothered with the conversation.

'We have many fine women...' At this point you can just about see Jake's face almost turning into a smile

'Ninat is the best singer...' 'Well i don't want Ninat.' Neytiri smiles to herself so as to not show Jake what she thinks or hopes he might say.

'Peyral is a good hunter...' 'Yeah, she is a good hunter...' He then pauses briefly and you see Neytiri's face fall slightly, I can just imagine being in her position and feeling my heart drop to hear something like that.

'But I've already chosen...' Neytiri turns around and looks down 'But this woman must also choose me' She looks up and sees the look in Jake's eyes and she knows, she just does. She then continues with 'She already has...'
...and so they bond in front of Eywa...

Truthfully, I love this film too much, more than any person should really... but James Cameron... man, what a Genius.

We have many fine scenes, this is one of my favorites too, the visable hint of heartbreak when Neytiri thinks Jake might choose Peyral.
I hope Avatar2 can be as good or better.
(More 'Terminator 2', less 'Son of the Mask' !)
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Zefanaya

Quote from: Will Txankamuse on March 08, 2010, 10:56:36 PM
I plan to take the work the community has done on transcribing the Na'vi and make an .srt file for the Na'vi, probably for my own consumption though, since distributing it would probably be illegal.

Will
Only if you sell it or claim the original content to be yours, if you did that we would have another something post on the ridiculous lawsuit thread. Any way if you make one I want a copy just don't sell it.

Eywa ngahu
AM 2012 - Uniting the Clans Planning Team
Zephaniah Washington - [email protected]

A Furry - FA: Tirey
AMERICANS FOR PROTECTION OF FREE SPEECH