Possible movie glitch?

Started by Eanikran, July 09, 2010, 01:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eanikran

So while watching earlier today, I caught something:

The avatar drivers can only link with their own avatar, no one else's, right? When norm and Jake are walking into the lab, you can clearly see that it's norm's avatar in the amino tank next to jakes, then when grace asks him how many hours he's logged, he says 500. Is this possible when his avatar was maturing on the way to pandora?

Meh. I'm probably thinking too much.  :D

Txepä Tsyal

I always thought that he had a previous "practice" avatar, and that during the trip was upgraded to the real thing. Whether this practice avatar was a computer simulation or a very basic form of an actual avatar I have no Idea.
New personal modo:

Ku'rända

I'm pretty sure there there was a mention of a 'sim' somewhere in the movie- whether grace scolding jake for being a worthless know-nothing, or whatever :B

Give us a chance, MORON!

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Ku'rända on July 09, 2010, 08:46:45 AM
I'm pretty sure there there was a mention of a 'sim' somewhere in the movie- whether grace scolding jake for being a worthless know-nothing, or whatever :B

Oe mllte ngahu about the simulation part.  It would make the most sense.
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Eanikran

Oh, oe didn't even think of the sim thing. I just watched last night and I do think I heard Max or Norm say something about a sim

Muzer

The only bit I can remember offhand is not related - "the proprioceptive sims seemed to work really well"
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Muzer on July 11, 2010, 07:21:06 AM

The only bit I can remember offhand is not related - "the proprioceptive sims seemed to work really well"
Proprioceptive sims are used to simulate muscle use in the Avatar's during growth and give them "great muscle tone".

But, yes, I agree with the simulated avatar. It wouldn't take much for their computers to run a computer with Norm's brain allowing him to control...something. A robotic arm, a computer, whatever. This would allow him to "practice" without having an Avatar.

Muzer

Quote from: Ftiafpi on July 17, 2010, 11:02:58 PM
Quote from: Muzer on July 11, 2010, 07:21:06 AM

Proprioceptive sims are used to simulate muscle use in the Avatar's during growth and give them "great muscle tone".

Yeah, I know - as I said, it's the only bit I can remember from the movie that mentions "sim", but it is unrelated to what we were talking about.

QuoteBut, yes, I agree with the simulated avatar. It wouldn't take much for their computers to run a computer with Norm's brain allowing him to control...something. A robotic arm, a computer, whatever. This would allow him to "practice" without having an Avatar.

archaic

Is it possible to link with avatar juveniles, Jake say's "Damn they got big!" so he's seen them smaller, but how small?
Has Norm spent around five hundred and twenty hours linked with his avatar as a young child?
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Txura Rolyu

i dont think they would have linked with a child form because Earths atmosphere would be too toxic for anything as pure as a Na'vi. Also I dont think that it would be easy to be a grown person in a babies body. It would seem so strange. I agree with the computer simulation stuff. although I would hope that the power didnt go out if i were linked in. Your mind could be lost in cyberspace forever. Scary to think of...
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

archaic

I was thinking the equivalent of maybe six years old.

Grace refers to Tommy Sully as having thee years training for the mission, assuming his avatar was started as soon as that began, give it accelerated development, around double the normal maturation rate, it would be equivalent of six in time for some practice link time before being put on board the ISV for Pandora.
Five years nine months and twenty two days at double aging rate would then give an avatar that is equivalent of roughly seventeen and a half years old.

Then again I could be way off.

Txura Rolyu

So the Avatar bodies age twice as fast as the regular Na'vi? That would be very sad for Jake and Neytiri then. Jake will be 60 when she is only 30... a sad way to have to live when you think about it. :(
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Txura Rolyu on August 08, 2010, 06:34:33 AM
So the Avatar bodies age twice as fast as the regular Na'vi? That would be very sad for Jake and Neytiri then. Jake will be 60 when she is only 30... a sad way to have to live when you think about it. :(

I don't think that is entirely true: I would think that they purposefully aged them over the 6 years with some sort of device, because I seriously doubt that just fusing the two different DNA together will kill half their lifespan.  And if did at some point, I'm sure they tried to fix it, since it would save the RDA more money to have an Avatar that lasted a worker's life as well (since Avatars were originally made to be workers in the mines, so as to not need the respirators).

Just my 2¢.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Txura Rolyu

yeah... i agree with you. There wouldnt be an AVTR 2 or 3 if Jake aged twice as fast. Thank goodness that that isnt the situation with the AVTR bodies.

Tsteu'itan

Actually, if you want to be technical, some of the problems with cloning is that the age of the clone's cells are the same as the age of the original.  That was the problem with the sheep that they cloned.  She was an adult sheep, so even as an infant, her cells were aged, and it did cause some problems.

Whether or not they'd found a way to cure this is almost never addressed in science fiction movies, as far as I've seen.

Muzer

But does it really need to be addressed? For example, if you're using, or even designing, a computer chip, how many times do you say, out loud, something along the lines of "it's good that we discovered the interesting semiconductor properties of silicon and thereby produce electrical equivalents of valves, greatly increasing reliability, and decreasing the size and cost, of computers"? Virtually never. So why would they mention a workaround for the ageing problem during a cloning process, unless the whole story WAS the introduction of said process?

Eyamsiyu

There are things not addressed, and honestly a lot of them just helps the magic of the movie to not be addressed.  It adds to the mystique and beauty of it.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Tsteu'itan

See, I don't have to have things explained in movies, but I'm actually the type that likes it in my sci-fi.  I like when they're able to make it seem as if the science actually works in real life if you just try it.

But no, in a movie like Avatar, I didn't feel that it needed to be explained.  Cloning in movies has been one of those things that has been a staple for so long, it doesn't need the explanation anymore for us to just believe it works.

archaic

The last I read was a piece about an enzyme called telomerase. I guess something equivalent was found in Pandoran life, and exploited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telomerase