Problem watching the Avatar CE.

Started by Nì'awtua Eyktan, November 28, 2010, 12:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nì'awtua Eyktan

Kaltxì everyone. I bought myself a Philips BDP2700 Blu-Ray player to watch my brand new Avatar collector's edition.
The extramaterial worked fine. However, when I tried to watch the movie itself the player freezes after the first messages
about how the movie was made using the latest tech. My dad thinks the disc isn't working since the extramaterial works,
but I think the player needs a firmware update.

Has anyone else had problem with playing the movie? And does anyone know how long it takes for Philips to get updates out?

Oh well, the DVD:s work so I can watch them and the extramaterial while I wait for an update.

Muzer

Well, it did come with an update to the BD+ security system that is used (I couldn't watch mine for a few days because the program I use to watch them in Linux, makemkv, had to be updated) - so it's quite possible a firmware update is required.

However, I have noticed that, for me at least, disc 1 and discs 2 and 3 are different regions to each other (disc 1 is regions A and B; disc 2 is regions B and C, if I remember correctly) - if you imported it from abroad, perhaps your player is region C (or if I'm wrong, whatever region discs 2 and 3 supported that disc 1 didn't) so disc 1 won't work in it.
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

Nì'awtua Eyktan

Quote from: Muzer on November 28, 2010, 02:59:39 PM
However, I have noticed that, for me at least, disc 1 and discs 2 and 3 are different regions to each other (disc 1 is regions A and B; disc 2 is regions B and C, if I remember correctly) - if you imported it from abroad, perhaps your player is region C (or if I'm wrong, whatever region discs 2 and 3 supported that disc 1 didn't) so disc 1 won't work in it.

None of them are imported. Looked at the back of the player and it says region 2 and the disc says region B (extramaterial was A, B and C).

Went to the electronics store today to test the disc there and it worked. Seems I'll just have to wait for an update.

Technowraith

It's a known issue that DRM encoding on the Avatar Collector's Editions has prevented a lot of people from being able to play their discs. This issue was made known to the production house. The issue comes with incompatibilities with the firmware on some older blue-ray players. It was an unforeseen problem. The studio is working on a fix, including a procedure that can a firmware upgrade to your dvd player. This issue first surfaced when the blue-ray version of the bare-bones edition came out, and I believe Fox (or whoever made the movie) is well aware that Collector's Editions are suffering the same issue.

If you've purchased a blue-ray player just recently (like within a month or even oon black friday (US peoples) you should be ok. You'll find out if your blue-ray player works when you try the disc. Otherwise, you can try and research your player's brand and model on the internet and see what you can do ahead of time.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm