Project 880 - pre Avatar script?

Started by MaTe, December 29, 2009, 01:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaTe

there is a review of an early avatar script. Unless it's a speculation...
I'd love to see more parts of that one in final movie to cover at least some of story drawbacks. Seems like JC ran out of money/screen time.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/21969/1/PROJECT-880-THE-AVATAR-THAT-ALMOST-WAS/Page1.html
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

omängum fra'uti

That sounds like it would have made a great book, but I don't know that the format of a movie would have really offered the right medium to convey everything in there without feeling rushed, being way too long for most people, or being confusing.

But there are a few bits in there that it seems could have made it into the modified plot that became Avatar, without causing too much of a problem.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Roiki

The problem is it wasn't a finished script, it was a scriptment of a larger construct that was meant to be developed into Avatar after Cameron made Titanic, so naturally it contains more stuff than what you could put in a 3 hour movie with a decent pacing. I think some of it will make it into the sequels but time will tell.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

shiaru

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on December 29, 2009, 03:31:09 PM
That sounds like it would have made a great book, but I don't know that the format of a movie would have really offered the right medium to convey everything in there without feeling rushed, being way too long for most people, or being confusing.

But there are a few bits in there that it seems could have made it into the modified plot that became Avatar, without causing too much of a problem.

Gotta agree on that, I would had read it. But you are also right the movie would had been either rushed or too long.
~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

Evilnerf

I'm hopin for books.

A lot of that script can be adapted into prequel books or stories, especially Hegner.   Parrish can be shoehorned into the movie somehow.

There's so much done off-camera in the movie that it'd be great to have books that twist and turn and set up the main story of Avatar.

hisashi

I agree with Evilnerf.

I started to read the script yesterday and it felt like reading the old sci-fi books when I was young  :)

MaTe

I care more about Na'vi story, rather than human story.
Would have been nice to integrate rivalry with tsu'tey and more of "Becomming one with people and Neytiri". The rivalry is completely missing, and getting to See is compacted into 5 minutes worth of report that looks like a teaser. It's hard to believe his words of love after those 5min + first flight episodes. Also, I like green and blue more than gray :)

Also a raid on human base would be appropriate prior to attacking tree of souls to justify "fight terror with terror" words.

looks like they did run out of money :)
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

Tirealì'u

Novelization + sequels that focus on some of the basic ideas of the cut content (largely making humans seem more redeemable, etc...) and I think a lot of that could be salvaged.

It almost is a shame that Avatar wasn't a novel first, but... Meh. What can you do?

While, more so from what is pointed out, I think it should remain not so overt in the message... A lot more substance in plot and character development would have been nice.

shiaru

~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

Maweya tirea

Aw man! I wish Jake's name in Avatar was kept as Josh because my name is Josh!  :P
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

I don't suppose anyone has managed to get their hands on one of these early script ideas? I'd love to read it even online if possible... I'd heard that they were all taken down around 2004 when it was finalized that Avatar would be made, so after reading this article I'm becoming hopeful a few managed to slip through the cracks!
Avatar is a movie about a guy with blue balls running through the forest chasing tail.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Does anyone have a link to this that is still working? I have seen a few links that have claimed to contain the Original scriptment, but everyone of them is removed. I have seen a few threads at the IMDB boards, were people send it out to other by email. Don't know if it works and I can't get authorize my IMDB account to write posts anyways.

Can I be so lucky that someone here have it?

Kaltxì Palulukan!

I ran across an "Avatar" script (114 pages, looks pretty real--no Na'vi language though, so this may be pre-Fromer) a few days ago and downloaded it. There is also a site that hosts it (you can read it online). Ar you guys still looking for it? I thought everyone but me had already read and dissected this thing. I am backlogged on my Avatar reading material.

By the way, I need to find printed movie quotes in Na'vi. Is that at all possible? Just a few sentences. Sorry--I have been looking all over the forums, but nada so far :(
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

I've read that one, from 2007, but I heard whispers of a script written back in the nineties after Titanic was over. I think it was something radically different, because Fox pulled it when Cameron actually started the business of making the movie.

That's what I'd love to find :(
Avatar is a movie about a guy with blue balls running through the forest chasing tail.

Tsepxor

There is no script as such for Project 880 but there was a small scriptment released that some people/blog sites have managed to get their hands on. I've not managed to find it for myself though...

-Tsepxor

<MulleDK19> Yesterday I started with "A man was walking along the road, and suddenly got hit by a wheelchair going 250 miles per hour"
<MulleDK19> it ended with: "Death of a wheelchair - On the road since 1250"

Na'rìng_Tirea

Me and my coworker were talking about this earlier. ;D I've love to see a script from before. <3