special edition **SPOILERS**

Started by Eanikran, August 27, 2010, 07:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skxawng

Quote from: Payä Tìrol on September 01, 2010, 12:11:48 AM
Even the AMPsuit cannons appear to have little effect on the Titanotheres, which is surprising considering the KE those rounds must have.

They are apparently 30mm incendiary rounds

the armor must be like solid carbon fiber lol

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

archaic

Yeah, but what I still don't get is, why carbon fiber?
There are stronger natural fibers here on earth, spiders silk for example.
Maybe this just shows Quaritch's limited knowledge of materials, that he used carbon fiber as analogy.
Or maybe it's because he was pitching to an audience with different levels of understanding.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Human No More

Because carbon fibre is extremely strong in terms of strength against snapping, as opposed to tensile strength from spider silk, which would be no use as bones :P

Anyway, carbon fibre theoretically could occur naturally (after all, Pandoran life is carbon based, same as Earth)... it just doesn't on Earth.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Payä Tìrol

They don't occur naturally because enzymes don't really work with C-C bonds directly, and instead almost always rely on functional groups... Just a mass of carbon in a graphite-like configuration is pretty unreactive, biologically.
I'm still of the opinion that Quaritch was just talking out of his ass.
Oeyä atanìl mì sìvawm, mipa tìreyä tìsìlpeyur yat terìng

archaic

I thought Kevlar was resistant to snapping, carbon fiber much less so, but I could be wrong, I'm no composites expert.

Spiders webs are incredibly resistant to snapping.

Payä Tìrol

It depends what you make it out of. There are forms of carbon fiber that are tensile, but flexible. There are other forms that are much more stiff and heat tolerant, but less tensile.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Payä Tìrol on September 01, 2010, 10:18:34 PM
They don't occur naturally because enzymes don't really work with C-C bonds directly, and instead almost always rely on functional groups... Just a mass of carbon in a graphite-like configuration is pretty unreactive, biologically.
I'm still of the opinion that Quaritch was just talking out of his ass.

The Quaritch talking-out-his-ass theory is not unlikely, pure carbon highly unlikely, but I think there may have been some chemical bonding similar to Calcium Carbonate like Bird Egg or Clam shells or certain rocks.

I think there are some derivations of biology that don't use the same building blocks as humanoids or primates on Pandora, like Diatoms which have silicates for their cell walls, or eggs-shells/muscles/pearls which have Calcium Carbonate in their construction. 

When extracted, the Na'vi bones most likely take on the aspect of predominantly fibrous carbon when pulverized for analysis.   They would have discovered this during the dissection process when conducting biological analysis the Na'vi for the construction of AVTR clones.  The way it grows, probably has some similarities to the growth patterns of plants or trees which are also extremely fibrous.

私は太った男だ。

MaTe

I'm translating previous post as "Pandoran flora and fauna has way more in-common biologically than flora and fauna on earth".
And seems like this fits perfectly into lore...
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

Payä Tìrol

The chemical "bonding" in bone and shells is just the deposition of Calcium Phosphate or Calcium Carbonate, among other crystals, into a protein scaffolding. They're crystals, so atoms are held together through ionic forces. On the other hand, with carbon allotropes like graphite or fiber, the atoms are actually covalently bonded to each other.

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

Quote from: Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan) on August 31, 2010, 10:08:53 PM
Quote from: Payä Tìrol on August 31, 2010, 07:41:43 PM
Yeah, pretty much, although it's interesting to bring up certain points. I'll admit I hadn't considered the possibility of a more universal synthetic blood. I think they've actually got a product like that in FDA trials. It's basically a glorified liquid oxygen sponge, and breaks down horribly quickly in the body, but it apparently works well enough if you don't have real blood of the right type, and you can manufacture it.

ever played metal gear solid :P[/s]

I suggest, my friends, that if you wish to continue talking on this particular subject that you should make a new post and post the link here.  just a suggestion.

again I post this... sorry, but this seems to be going to far off topic.
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

Payä Tìrol

Sorry, but at least the wild science tangents are least somewhat related to the movie! :3

archaic

Kehe.
Ionic and covalent bonding = science reality.

(wish I'd kept my pie hole shut)

DutchNavi

Quote from: archaic on September 03, 2010, 02:28:17 AM
Ionic and covalent bonding = science reality.

I would say:

Avatar movie = allegorical science fiction (based on Eastern philosophy).
Ionic and covalent bonding = current scientific way of looking at reality (based on Western philosophy: only what can be repeatedly measured is real).

Last Thursday I saw the SE in The Hague (time: 5 pm, 10 people).

Does anyone remember what Trudy exactly says in the first new scene?

Eanikran

Holy scientific discussions batman!

I think she says 'sturmbeest hers comin' up on your right (or left, icr)

DutchNavi

Quote from: Na'rìnga Taronyu on September 03, 2010, 07:43:16 PM
I think she says 'sturmbeest hers comin' up on your right (or left, icr)
I clearly remember that she mentioned something about "right". I believe it is the only time in the movie that the English word right with the meaning of right side (skien) is used. Right and left side play an important role in the movie. As an example: you see mostly the left side of the sturmbeest.

Eyamsiyu

Just saw Avatar SE tonight!  I think Neytiri put it the best:

Quote from: NeytiriHELL YEAH!!

I agree the music was very odd in places.

The only scene that, to me, felt out of place at all was, surprisingly, the Tsu'tey death scene.  It, IMO, did break the flow.  HOWEVER, I believe it to be justified in that it tells a very important part of the story.

Overall, I would greatly have preferred this version over the original.  I really do.  Most of the scenes that were added only helped to make the story better.  Very rarely did anything go off the beaten path.

rating: 9000+/5

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Ekirä

Quote from: Eyamsiyu on September 03, 2010, 10:33:07 PM
The only scene that, to me, felt out of place at all was, surprisingly, the Tsu'tey death scene.  It, IMO, did break the flow.  HOWEVER, I believe it to be justified in that it tells a very important part of the story.

I did find it a little jarring, but it's also one of the main reasons I REALLY need to see it again. It's just so deep and emotional, and it does add a lot to the movie. But I do understand when you say it was out of place, I can see why Fox/JC decided to take it out. But I much prefer it with. ;D

Quote from: Eyamsiyu on September 03, 2010, 10:33:07 PM
Overall, I would greatly have preferred this version over the original.  I really do.  Most of the scenes that were added only helped to make the story better.  Very rarely did anything go off the beaten path.
rating: 9000+/5

Yes, they could have easily released this version and gotten the same popularity. I guess maybe they didn't want to push the IMAX limits with giving them a 170 minute movie.....I dunno. I would like to know why they removed some of the scenes that so obviously should have been in the original.

Eyamsiyu

To bring back what Muzer said a while back, I really have to say that the worst thing overall of the SE was the music.  But again, it is understandable if you know a little bit about possibly why...

A lot of the larger added scenes really needed different music instead of music already in place.  Problem is, to get that, you have re-hire the entire orchestra (40-100 people).  and most, if not all, of the musicians are probably working on other gigs already.  So, naturally, they defaulted to music already in place and edit it.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Ekirä

Quote from: Eyamsiyu on September 04, 2010, 05:24:10 AM
A lot of the larger added scenes really needed different music instead of music already in place.  Problem is, to get that, you have re-hire the entire orchestra (40-100 people).  and most, if not all, of the musicians are probably working on other gigs already.  So, naturally, they defaulted to music already in place and edit it.

That makes sense. But I would have thought that JC would already have extra tracks, just because I can't imagine Horner made only enough to cover the movie. He would've made extras so that the people in charge could cut out stuff they don't like.....but it's quite possible that although there was extra music, none of it would've fit the hunt scene; the part where the music was REALLY off.

Lisa

Quote from: Ekirä on September 04, 2010, 08:31:43 AM
..but it's quite possible that although there was extra music, none of it would've fit the hunt scene; the part where the music was REALLY off.
I totally agree that the music for the hunt scene was off... and what I don't understand is that there already was music specifically composed for the sturmbeast hunt.

The Hunt

While I'm not a musician or composer, IMHO this music fits the scene much better than the recycled War music.  Why did they do this??   ???

Oeru syaw "Tirea Ikran" kop slä frakrrmi layu oe "Grammar Skxawng"   :)