special edition **SPOILERS**

Started by Eanikran, August 27, 2010, 07:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Tirea Ikran on September 04, 2010, 09:08:56 AM
Why did they do this??   ???

To maximize profit by avoiding having to edit and master this track, probably.  Ether way, it's all ok, just because we get to hear Neytiri yell "Hell Yeah!" ;D  Which to me was funny as hell!

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Lisa

Quote from: Eyamsiyu on September 04, 2010, 09:15:41 AM
To maximize profit by avoiding having to edit and master this track, probably.  

Yes, that could very well be.   It's just that Cameron is such a perfectionist, and the current hunt music seems so off, and... and... and I guess I've just seen original Avatar so many times that my brain gets confused when the War music comes on but it's not the War scene.    :P
Oeru syaw "Tirea Ikran" kop slä frakrrmi layu oe "Grammar Skxawng"   :)

Txura Rolyu

Yeah the whole muic thing... it was a last minute choice. I remember hearing a while back that there were scenes that needed to have more CGI added to them to make them fit the movie so if you focus on the visual and then run out of music edit budget then you get a quick cut and paste of the war music.
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

DutchNavi

I was a bit surprised about the new scene where you see Jake in his wheelchair looking at the floating mountains, because  James Cameron talks about this scene in an interview with F.X. Feeney:

Quote from: James Cameron (20m01s)Well there is a big, intense magnetic field. There actually was an explanation for how the mountains float, in a scene that was taken out. Where Jake's wheeling his wheelchair between where the ship has landed and getting into the remote laboratory. And he says: "Yeah, why do they float? Well Grace explained it to me, something about superconduction and the mountains made out of unobtanium and I don't understand it, please somebody does." And it was kind of one of those like sort of explain it, but don't. And when that scene got cut out, I thought, you know what I don't miss it at all. It's like the  mountains fricking float.
Does anyone have an idea why James Cameron decided to put it back in?

By the way I really liked the beautiful scenery. :)

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

just got back from seeing it.  it was freakin awesome.  the one thing that i didn't really like was when neytiri shouted hell yea... it just didn't fit and it was too out of character for her IMO.

I think that the war music went well the sturmbeast scene.  it would have been nice had it had different music, but i still think it went well.
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan) on September 05, 2010, 01:06:22 AM
just got back from seeing it.  it was freakin awesome.  the one thing that i didn't really like was when neytiri shouted hell yea... it just didn't fit and it was too out of character for her IMO.

You didn't like that?!? While I agree that it was "out of character," I thought it was hilarious!

Actually... at that point I wouldn't have been surprised that she used it.  I mean, the truth is that no matter who the "teacher" and the "pupil" are, both parties learn from each other.  Jake learned the most, but I wouldn't have been surprised at all if Neytiri picked up a lot more than just "Hell Yeah," keeping in mind I'm referring to what she didn't already know about humans.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

pbhead

one thing that kinda buggered me. (it bugged me a little bit before, but even more so with the sad bits at the end)...

Is how does jake get back into his avatar?  I mean... (i guess the obvious answer is that he took the exopack into the pod with him.... but I dont think it would fit, i mean, you got the mask, which i am sure would cause issues with the interface... and then the filter box...)

Norm has to get back too... hes still running around the trailer area with a gun... they dont have their sampson :(   

but see before, there was an indeterminant ammount of time between the end of that scene and the everyone getting on the shuttle... and so however they all managed transportation wasnt really an issue... they could have carried jake and his avatar on the backs of horses, or norm coulda hopped into the AMP suit... but now, immediatly, jake is in his avatar running through the forest looking for survivers...

I did alot less crying than i should have durring that bit because i was too busy thinking... 'whaa?'   (and, 'awwww, no max kicking ass scene  :-( '

Human No More

Quote from: pbhead on September 05, 2010, 08:19:51 AM
one thing that kinda buggered me. (it bugged me a little bit before, but even more so with the sad bits at the end)...

Is how does jake get back into his avatar?  I mean... (i guess the obvious answer is that he took the exopack into the pod with him.... but I dont think it would fit, i mean, you got the mask, which i am sure would cause issues with the interface... and then the filter box...)
Looks like it would fit to me.

QuoteNorm has to get back too... hes still running around the trailer area with a gun... they dont have their sampson :(
He went to try and save his avatar... He didn't need to be there for Tsu'tey's death.   

As for the music, I agree, I was hoping there would be some new music... using 'war' for he hunting scene was bad - too many sad associations with that song for me.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

pbhead

Quote from: Human No More on September 05, 2010, 08:26:24 AM

Looks like it would fit to me.

QuoteNorm has to get back too... hes still running around the trailer area with a gun... they dont have their sampson :(
He went to try and save his avatar... He didn't need to be there for Tsu'tey's death.   

As for the music, I agree, I was hoping there would be some new music... using 'war' for he hunting scene was bad - too many sad associations with that song for me.

I guss your right there. but when i said "back" for norm, i ment "back to hell's gate", not to Tsu'tey... which i guess still has plenty of time to be accomplished.

Jake_Sully_1

Hi all

I just saw the special edition, finally came to Switzerland.
Boy, am I disappointed.
I thought the Tsu'tey death was back in?
Naturally I assumed the scene from the great 2007 script.
Instead, it was only half. One half that doesn't make any sense at all whatsoever without the other half.
Without his queue getting cut off, there's no point at all in asking Jake to kill him.
SO: Why o why is James Cameron so extremely hesitant to put in this scene?
Everybody in his crew told him to put it back in. I did and many other fans surely did. And still he doesn't have the spine to put it back in as it really should and must be.
It doesn't make any sense to me. I think it's a tremendously important and powerful scene / part of the story / morals, etc.
I really don't understand how James can throw such an important part overboard (to maximize profit?).
This is sad. Very sad only.
:-(

Mark

Ekirä

Quote from: Jake_Sully_1 on September 05, 2010, 03:15:52 PM
Without his queue getting cut off, there's no point at all in asking Jake to kill him.
Why not? Tsu'tey is in extreme pain and is obviously dying a slow, painful death. Jake gives him a mercy killing he asked for, instead of allowing him to suffer.

SO: Why o why is James Cameron so extremely hesitant to put in this scene?
Everybody in his crew told him to put it back in. I did and many other fans surely did. And still he doesn't have the spine to put it back in as it really should and must be.

I'm certainly not sure, but I don't think that scene was ever made. I think that either the editors or JC nixed the idea before they started filming. It would have been too disturbing for the majority of the audience, myself included.

Eaite Randjam

I never read the 2007 script (wherever it may be...)  but I do know that a script is just a suggestion of how the story should go.  More often than not a script will go through a ton of revisions before, during, and after shooting the movie.  That's because many factors come into play including budget, time, and feasibility constraints as well as change in artistic view.  Say for instance with the 8 minutes of new footage, fox had to spend a lot of money just to put them in.  The were also working under an extremely tight schedule to get the Special Edition into theaters on time.  Or James Cameron might not have liked the way certain scenes went while trying to shoot.  It's all about fitting scenes in the way they feel is the best under the conditions.

Now, for what I thought of the additions:

Robert Nantangä Tirea

but see before, there was an indeterminant ammount of time between the end of that scene and the everyone getting on the shuttle... and so however they all managed transportation wasnt really an issue... they could have carried jake and his avatar on the backs of horses, or norm coulda hopped into the AMP suit... but now, immediatly, jake is in his avatar running through the forest looking for survivers...

The only thing preventing this was the smashed window on the pod unit allowing the heavy air in, otherwise "beula" (or however you spell it) the link module still worked fine. I'm sure they had emergency leak repair equipment onboard the pod which would could be used to seal the window (Such as if the windows on the pod had a shutter system, you simply need to close them and use a quick-seal caulk to make it air tight.

Then you just flush the air system in the pod and Jake's ready to jump back into the link unit.

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Wiesel

Quote from: Robert Nantangä Tirea on September 06, 2010, 01:08:16 AM
but now, immediatly, jake is in his avatar running through the forest looking for survivers...

The only thing preventing this was the smashed window on the pod unit allowing the heavy air in, otherwise "beula" (or however you spell it) the link module still worked fine. I'm sure they had emergency leak repair equipment onboard the pod which would could be used to seal the window (Such as if the windows on the pod had a shutter system, you simply need to close them and use a quick-seal caulk to make it air tight.

Then you just flush the air system in the pod and Jake's ready to jump back into the link unit.

yea was wondering about that too, but after watching it the 2nd time i just think that he used the Exo-Pack while in the link-module, or isnt that possible?
but anyway not very important.

I cant wait for the next version where all scenes are in!
I want the dreamhunt and Tsu'teys tsaheylu cut off. :(
I was a warrior who dreamed he could
bring peace. Sooner or later though, you
always have to wake up... - Jake Sully

...Wenn ich schlafe bin ich ein Avatar und rette Pandora...

Amaya

tsaheylu is the bond itself, the braid has a name, and that is the tswin

But anyway, I could do without the nightmare of the tswin scene, but I really, really want to see uniltaron!

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Robert Nantangä Tirea on September 06, 2010, 01:08:16 AM
I'm sure they had emergency leak repair equipment onboard the pod which would could be used to seal the window (Such as if the windows on the pod had a shutter system, you simply need to close them and use a quick-seal caulk to make it air tight.

Well, I don't think you even need that much: just 2 rolls of duct tape.  Remember they fixed the holes in Trudy's Samson with the stuff.  They could fix a whole window too. ;D

Ekirä

Quote from: Eyamsiyu on September 06, 2010, 07:47:31 AM
Well, I don't think you even need that much: just 2 rolls of duct tape.  Remember they fixed the holes in Trudy's Samson with the stuff.  They could fix a whole window too. ;D

Duct tape can do anything. ;D This is very trivial, but I noticed watching SE a second time that 'Beulah', despite being the one with the least glitches, had some of her green rubber cushion taped up with something that looked kinda like duct tape. :D

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Amaya on September 06, 2010, 07:34:25 AM
tsaheylu is the bond itself, the braid has a name, and that is the tswin

But anyway, I could do without the nightmare of the tswin scene, but I really, really want to see uniltaron!

Not to mention less recycling of musical scores in the DVD would also be nice.
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Jake_Sully_1

Quote from: Ekirä on September 05, 2010, 03:33:39 PM
Why not? Tsu'tey is in extreme pain and is obviously dying a slow, painful death. Jake gives him a mercy killing he asked for, instead of allowing him to suffer.

If you read the 2007 script, you will see that after having his queue cut off, it makes a lot more sense. Tsu'tey can never tsaheylu with an animal or a wife again. He can never connect with Eywa through the trees again. THAT is was takes his will to live. Not his wounds.

Quote from: Ekirä on September 05, 2010, 03:33:39 PM
I'm certainly not sure, but I don't think that scene was ever made. I think that either the editors or JC nixed the idea before they started filming. It would have been too disturbing for the majority of the audience, myself included.
Yes, that's what I am suspecting as well.
Of course, without the queue cutting, there is not much sense anymore in showing that special / weird death. Just being killed instantly is just as good.
What I don't get is why this scene was not incorporated. Why do you say it is too "disturbing"?
It's reality. It's what people do. To animals for instance (if you get the symbolism).
Yes, it's disturbing. Very. But does that make the movie less good?
I don't think so. Taking the scene out just made the movie a little more "shallow". PG13 I guess.
:-(

Oh well...

Human No More

Yeah, I guess so... would have made hat part even worse I guess :(

As it was , Tsu'tey was still clearly dying even without that, he just didn't want to suffer and knew he couldn't be helped.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman