Subtle references in Avatar--from other movies & TV

Started by Kaltxì Palulukan!, February 28, 2010, 12:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Hey, so I keep forgetting to post this, but here it is finally. Casually hidden in Avatar are subtle references to 20th century movie pop-culture. I am certain I have missed most of them, but if you have noticed any, please post them here! I will start us off with three:

When Norm hears about the "Hallelujah Mountains*" he does the "Home Alone" fist thing and says "Yes!"
(Reference: Home alone: that blonde kid made that move famous)

"Ranger Rick": It turns out this was an insult that could only be assuaged on the field of battle (it foreshadowed the colonel shooting her). I knew I had hear this term before ("Ranger Rick"), but I had to google it. Apparently it is a raccoon character by some wildlife organization and they have had a kid's magazine and toys and other licensing deals since 1967. In essence: Grace called the colonel a pansy "tree hugger," whose passion in life is to care for nature--when that was exactly opposite of who and what he was. He simply had to shoot her. A side note is that link #2 (immediately below) has a note where Army "Ranger Rick" got sued even though he is a U.S. Army Ranger, an his name is Rick. Money--it ruins everything it touches in the end. Even a supposed benevolent organization designed to protect bunnies and squirrels (or whatever they really do, other than sue people) feels the need to waste money on such trivialities. I wonder if they will sue James Cameron?
(References: 1-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranger_Rick 2-http://www.survivaloutdoorskills.com/)

"Dodge (city):" I forget at the moment where in the film this appears. "Dodge city" was famous in cowboy films or TV (I am part Cherokee, so I never liked cowboys--still don't). But the famous line was usually something like "You've got until sundown to get out of Dodge." or ". . . get out of Dodge City." This was macho posturing (which was NOT invented by TV wrestling by the way) giving the bad guy a chance to "run for it," which was a pretty good idea as it left the bad guy alive--thus necessitating the need for a good guy (we gots jobs to fill!). It also kept the good guy from accidentally being shot down by the bad guy (bad guys sometimes win). Finally, it was a cool thing to say. So it has become a reference to old TV or Film Westerns, and means "scram!"

Okay, did anyone else catch any references? I am sure there were some Alien, Terminator, or Titanic references somewhere.
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Kesìltsamsiyu

Isn't "don't play with that, you'll go blind" (said by grace when she sees Jake looking at his Tsaheylu thingy) a reference to somewhere? I could have sworn I've heard it before, but I can't remember where.
Phase I: IPTG -> GFP
Phase III: Avatar Botany

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Kireyan on March 02, 2010, 11:42:27 PM
Isn't "don't play with that, you'll go blind" (said by grace when she sees Jake looking at his Tsaheylu thingy) a reference to somewhere? I could have sworn I've heard it before, but I can't remember where.

Technically, it is a reference, but not to any specific movie... more like a reference to... "self-induced sexual pleasure," and the myth that by doing so, will make you to go blind.  Although I would bet that it is entirely possible in this case that if Jake did play with the queue, he really would go blind.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Kayrìlien

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on February 28, 2010, 12:16:31 PMWhen Norm hears about the "Hallelujah Mountains*" he does the "Home Alone" fist thing and says "Yes!"
(Reference: Home alone: that blonde kid made that move famous)

Macaulay Culkin is the kid you're thinking of.

Also, I know you didn't miss this, but probably just overlooked it because it is so obvious (and used constantly in other things besides Avatar): Quaritch's line, "You are not in Kansas anymore, you are on Pandora" is a reference to The Wizard of Oz. (I know, Captain Obvious reporting for duty. Hehe. Duty.)

Kayrìlien

Kaltxì Palulukan!

No, that is VERY good. These all show where JC gets *his* ideas from (and occasionally the actors' improvisations), what movies inspire him; even though they would never really happen 150 years from now (shh!) :)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)