The audio description...

Started by Muzer, April 28, 2010, 03:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzer

...is hilarious! For those who don't know, this is an alternative audio track on the DVD and BD (for me anyway), for blind people - it describes things on screen between dialogue. I thought I'd put it on and see what it's like because in some movies it's been really funny.

In Avatar, the audio description narrator is quite funny - apart from his atrocious Na'vi pronunciation (for words like Na'vi (Narvee), ikran (ick-raahn), the people's names and toruk), when something I'd say is pretty important is happening on the screen, he describes completely random and petty details...

Also, different people read out the Na'vi translations - the actor for Eytukan had me in hysterics - he sounds like a failed movie trailer voiceover guy (with one of those really deep voices).

But it also made the destruction of hometree more effective somehow - not quite sure why, I felt much more emotional when the scene was on.

There are some hilarious descriptions though (like Jake and Neytiri "playing follow-the-leader" on Ikrans - I always thought you needed more than two people to play that game :P), you have to listen to it if you ever find yourself bored...
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

omängum fra'uti

I didn't make it past the first Na'vi dialog between Norm and Grace.  I got annoyed that he talked over it.

However it is only an option on the BD.  The DVD doesn't have it.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Muzer

Does for me, although I've made a dump of the DVD (my drive is too loud, and I live in a sane country that allows you to do that) - so maybe it's not selectable in the menu but it is an option? I just selected audio track 2, and it gave me description...

omängum fra'uti

Nope, it's not even there but not selectable.  I'm playing it using VLC, which can ignore the menus and select whatever video or audio directly.  Audio track 2 is just like track 1, except down-mixed to 2 channels.  The DVD has English (5.1 and 2.0), Spanish & French.  The BD has English (5.1 and 2.0), English descriptive, Spanish, French & Portuguese.

Muzer

Maybe it's something to do with the fact that I live in Britain? Maybe our DVDs are slightly different - I didn't notice a 2.1 or 2.0 downmixed track.

omängum fra'uti

That's very likely the case; that slightly different releases have different mastering.

It's worth noting that your edition is shorter than ours.  (155 min vs 162)  Not that you're missing any scenes, but it plays back faster.  Since UK television is 25fps, they bump up the movie frame rate of 24 to the video 25, and sometimes frequency shift the audio down to compensate.  In the US they instead do a 3:2 pulldown to keep it at the same rate as in 24fps (Actually 23.976) but play back at 30fps (29.97).  While there is no difference in the size of the video (It's the same number of frames encoded) there is less audio data.  Perhaps room to put in another audio track without detracting too much from everything else.

Muzer

Ah, that makes sense - that's why I couldn't get those real Na'vi subtitles someone posted working properly!

EDIT: Yeah, I just noticed there's a PAL version later in the thread.

omängum fra'uti

That was me that posted them.  And if those PAL ones work let me know!  You'll be the first report of success or failure.

'Itan Atxur

Any other funny moments? This sounds awesome.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Muzer

During the Palulukan attack scene, he starts randomly describing Jake's teeth (WTF?). Also, when walking with Neytiri he mentions 3 times that the ground glows whenever it is hit, and whilst doing this neglects to mention the bit where Jake nearly falls off the tree.

There are a few other funny descriptions I wrote down somewhere - I'll have to find them, I've forgotten most of them now :P

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

Quote from: Muzer on April 30, 2010, 01:24:49 AM
During the Palulukan attack scene, he starts randomly describing Jake's teeth (WTF?). Also, when walking with Neytiri he mentions 3 times that the ground glows whenever it is hit, and whilst doing this neglects to mention the bit where Jake nearly falls off the tree.

There are a few other funny descriptions I wrote down somewhere - I'll have to find them, I've forgotten most of them now :P

Is this on the Blu-Ray or DVD because I can't find the audio description on the DVD
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

omängum fra'uti

It's apparently on some editions of the DVD (PAL perhaps?) but not the US release.  In the US it's on the blu-ray only.

HTML_Earth

I've got a PAL version, and it has the descriptive audio track too.

Here's an example of what he says when jake wakes up in the first scene.

And another funny thing is that sometimes, there's not enough time to describe what's happening on screen before someone starts talking, so the narrator has to speak very fast.

Muzer

I just figured out the BEST USE EVER of the audio description.

<@Muzer> I need to do this
<@Muzer> 1) Get the audio feed for Avatar with Audio Description
<@Muzer> 2) Convert to a format my phone will understand [substitute phone here with MP3 player if necessary]
<@Muzer> 3) "Listen to music" with headphones during revision sessions!

Niwantaw

now that is what i call a plan :D
Only mostly AWOL.

Muzer

Just hope I don't start crying during destruction of hometree... or saying aloud some lines (which I will be VERY tempted to do, I am sure)

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

Kxeyo

Oe lu Kxeyo—

—pa'liyä maktoyu. Vitra ata'lengean oeru lu. ♾️

Quote from: Ku'rända on January 09, 2011, 11:32:47 AMActually, that would be an interesting thought; if gay Na'vi would actually mate, or just run off in the bushes for a little bum-fun!

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 24, 2012, 06:15:11 AMKxa (Open your mouth and say "Kxa") :P

Muzer

Unfortunately, I put it on my phone last night as an Ogg Vorbis, but I don't think my phone expects pieces of "music" to be 2 hours, 40 minutes long, so it failed to play :P

I'm converting to an MP3 to see if that will fare any better - if not, I'll just split the Ogg Vorbis up...