The Most Amazing Avatar Related Moment

Started by Mako, February 06, 2010, 10:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torture Killer

actually before i saw the movie, i dreamed that i would live as a native (example native americans) and when i saw the movie, i started to dream that i would live as a na'vi :D
hmm, cant think of anything to put in na'vi here :/

Technowraith

Quote from: Txonyä'ite on February 08, 2010, 10:40:36 AM
Just wanted to chime in here on the environmental aspect. I was the same way as Itan Atxur. After seeing Avatar I have been changing. We started recycling at my house and I am happy to report that I am buying a Tesla Model S as soon as I get out of school in 2011. (well as soon as my number comes up and I can get mine) The husband and I are also looking into doing nano-solar on the roof of the house that we buy so we can have almost no impact. It's not that I didn't know that steps like these were necessary, it's simply that seeing this movie made me realize I needed to get off my butt and set do something!

I think a lot of viewers are becoming environmentally aware as a result of seeing Avatar. I talked dad into putting 800 more square feet of Solar paneling on the house, bringing our total to 2000 square feet. That's enough energy production to sell back almost $200 worth of power back to the utility each month after we take our portion. My dad never forgave me for the huge argument i put him through over installing solar power, but he admitted that he never regretted doing it. We shred our news papers and office papers and use them as base layer for mulching the garden. The fibers in the paper break down over time and help insulate and rejuvenate the soil somewhat. Whatever we don't use goes to the green bin at the curb. I've been making building blocks out of old cans for the niece and nephew. I just smooth off all the rough edges and repaint them different colors. My family recycles more, as i moved the recycling bin to right next to the trash can in the kitchen, so it's much easier to remember to recycle.

See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

'Itan Atxur

Damn guy! That's awesome! I'm not there yet (not even close) but I'll get there!

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

Quote from: Itan Atxur on February 08, 2010, 04:30:56 PM
Damn guy! That's awesome! I'm not there yet (not even close) but I'll get there!

By living in a country where 90% of the power is generated with hydro-electricity, the best thing I could done was setting up my huge computer system so that turning on the lights in my room will double my overall power usage.
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

Technowraith

Quote from: Kawazoe on February 08, 2010, 04:36:13 PM
Quote from: Itan Atxur on February 08, 2010, 04:30:56 PM

By living in a country where 90% of the power is generated with hydro-electricity, the best thing I could done was setting up my huge computer system so that turning on the lights in my room will double my overall power usage.

Solar power is one the best ways to reduce your electric bill (other than conserving power). The costs for solar are dropping, but you do pay an upfront fee essentially. Your savings come over time, but even at the outset, you may enjoy a small savings. How many panels you put up directly influences your savings. Note that not all areas are suitable for solar power due to obstacles, trees, or simply the angle of the sun as it passes over the roof. If you live in an apartment complex, you can ask the landlord to look into green options, including solar paneling. I'm currently campaigning with a friend to get his landlord to install solar panels on the rental units. So far, it's been encouraging. The landlord is doing a cost study to see if the move would be profitable or reasonable enough to not require raising rents.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Solar power is not an option where I live because the electricity is so cheap that you'd need more than a hundred years to get your money back (aka 0.07 USD/kWh). I still think that my solution is very good. It cost me around 60$ a year to run what could be described as a nice render farm (3 octo-core systems). I don't even think that there would be a way to save much on that with solar power.
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

Technowraith

Quote from: Kawazoe on February 08, 2010, 05:12:28 PM
Solar power is not an option where I live because the electricity is so cheap that you'd need more than a hundred years to get your money back (aka 0.07 USD/kWh). I still think that my solution is very good. It cost me around 60$ a year to run what could be described as a nice render farm (3 octo-core systems). I don't even think that there would be a way to save much on that with solar power.

Well, solar isn't an option for everyone, which is why i said "if it's suitable." If you're still interested in discussing this more, we can move to PM's or start a new thread. We're gonna throw this one off the tracks at the rate we're going.  :)

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Quote from: Technowraith on February 08, 2010, 05:38:37 PM
Well, solar isn't an option for everyone, which is why i said "if it's suitable." If you're still interested in discussing this more, we can move to PM's or start a new thread. We're gonna throw this one off the tracks at the rate we're going.  :)

Right.. lets put this thread on track.

I think that my most amazing Avatar related moment would be shared between when I joined the Na'vi tribe and when I wrote a PM to join the Easter Sea Ikran Tribe in the RP section. Because of that, I've now started to get in shape and try to be more healthy that I am now at working in front of a computer and I've realized that I know Na'vi a lot more than I though. The Na'vi tribe also offered be a long time goal that is actually in par with my principles which is a lot more interesting that just living for living.

Tutean-tìhawnu

Solar panels on the roof (would have to be there to get any sunlight at all on our house) would unfortunately be utterly useless for about 4-6 months a year here, half a meter of snow blocks out an awful lot of light...

Anyways, pretty much all our power is hydro-electric, so its not all bad...
Kìyevame ma aytsmuktu, Eywa ngahu

join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Mako

Good discussion, but can we please get back on topic?

'Itan Atxur

Another one of my best "Avatar" moments came as quite a surprise for me actually. I was watching the movie for the 7th time (1st time in IMAX). Needless to say, the theater filled really quickly. Me and my friend who arrived early got good seats but towards the end, many people were forced to separate from their friends. So their was an empty seat directly to my left and one directly in front of me. So a young woman (very attractive I might add, but I digress) and her mother ended up filling these spots.

Now, before the movie started, the woman made it VERY clear to pretty much everybody within 10 seats that she did NOT want to be here at all. So here I am thinking great! I finally get a friend to go see the movie who I think will really like it but we're gonna have to deal with this garbage the entire time >:(. And to a certain extent, I was right. She was NOT a passive theater goer. Towards the middle and even much more towards the end, she reacted audibly to all of the major scenes. But the beautiful thing about it was that she was very clearly immersed completely into this world. She was experiencing all the emotions I was, but she couldn't hold them in (neither could my friend, I might add). And damn! You all should have heard here when Jake said "But I don't want Menat!" She was crying like crazy.

In the end, this was by far my favorite of my 13 viewings  ;D.

Mako

'Itan Atxur

I've been SO tempted to hiss. Maybe if I get a theater to myself but I don't see that happening for quite a while.

Mako

Haha :P I did once, then my hands clapped over my mouth and I looked to my left and my right :P

'Itan Atxur

Lol. That's still awesome though. That'll be a story to tell your grandchildren  ;D

Quote from: Itan Atxur on February 09, 2010, 08:52:55 AM
I've been SO tempted to hiss. Maybe if I get a theater to myself but I don't see that happening for quite a while.

I hissed to someone IRL... I never saw anyone make a OMFWTF-face like the one he did. :D

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Itan Atxur on February 09, 2010, 08:52:55 AM

Oh, I hiss all the time. Like a cat. You should too. It is strangely freeing, in a primal way. I know I am some kind of freak, but I have given up on being "normal" a long time ago. I think the hissing (for me) just came from Neytiri. It's like she awakened something inside me--albeit something a bit "strange" by "proper and civilized (non Avatar-obsessed) society"--but something that just seems so natural all the same. It also has helped me to finally stop swearing like a drunken sailor.Habit replacement; I want to say "weird, huh," but I think I am over the whole concept of weird or strange. I don't really care what the non-believers think. They have their lives--I have mine ("and never the twain shall meet"). So, yeah, hissing is fun.

Oh, and I was going to say that my favorite post-Avatar moment was when I came up with "Hello Thanator" and slapped a stupid pink bow on Palulukan, but--and I mean this in all seriousness--my best post-Avatar moments are meeting you people. Sure, I can walk around San Diego feeling superior to other people who "just don't get Avatar," or my friends who think it is just another action movie, and compare it to Dances with Wolves, and dismiss it entirely. But when I come here I don't see fan-boys or "Star Wars Geeks." I meet people who love all different aspects of the movie. I meet linguphiles ("language freaks") who can spot a misplaced a apostrophe at a hundred paces. I meet environmentalists, and really funny people. I meet movie fans, and people who just want to know a few words to play around with. I have yet to meet any sociopaths, but as long as they come with an RDA warning sticker, I'd be cool with them too.

I meet good people. Well I meet you here on line, and that is good enough for me, just knowing thats someone out there omumya (<--dots) Avatar.

2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

'Itan Atxur

Yeah, finding this site and you all was a HUGE "Avatar" moment for me too ;D

Quote from: Itan Atxur on February 09, 2010, 10:51:39 AM
Yeah, finding this site and you all was a HUGE "Avatar" moment for me too ;D

Hehe, same here. Learning Na'vi changed my life.

EDIT: Wait no it didn't. Avatar destroyed my life. Learning Na'vi and taking part in the tribe started it back. I'd say it's the best way to put it :)

Txonyä'ite

Me too on that one, It lit a fire under me