The Most Embarrassing Avatar Related Moment

Started by Mako, January 04, 2010, 10:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muntxa

Quote from: kintìomum on January 30, 2010, 07:42:43 AM
Going to the cinema yesterday in the evening.
I was there to see Sherlock Holmes, the guy behind the desk sees me, we start talking (it might be that I'm among his top 10 customers... but I don't know who'd be before me on the list  :-[) and afte some blabla I take my ticket, go in and see... Avatar.
Have I really been there so often that he doesn't even ask me anymore?

That's so cool! Proves how much you love Avatar. I'm gonna tell this story to my friends xD

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: Kawazoe on January 31, 2010, 12:40:26 PM
Quote from: Unila kelkuyu si on January 31, 2010, 12:17:29 PM
my friend found out i was trying to learn na'vi so he turned to me and said "What!!!  Ur learning the smurfs language..."

That must have been painful. But then you can just respond something on the line of "Ngal si Tsahayluti nantangyä tximru"... (well, that's not very nice but he wouldn't understand it would he :P)

hehehe
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Unilmokri

Well, guests have left.. and I'm sitting here feeling slightly embarrassed too  :(

We had a family over for dinner, and ofc at one point the conversation turns to Avatar.

My parents know I'm a hardcore fan of the movie, and it's no secret that they openly laugh about me having seen it 7 times; and my mum knows I'm trying to learn how to speak Na'vi also (dad would never let me forget how absolutely nerdy he thinks that is, so I'm trying to not let him in on that  :D)

So anyway.. During dinner, conversation turns to this "new movie, Avatar".. Which noone in the other family has seen yet. We get talking about how we all went and saw it last night, and how my dad thought it was only "okay", my mum "loved it".. and I'm a complete mess over it.

The family's eldest son starts laughing and tells of how one of his class-mates has seen it five times, and how she's told him that some people are even trying to learn the language.
"How goddamn sad is that?! Seriously, who but the biggest geeks waste money on watching the same movie in the cinema five times?! And learning the language is on par with those Star Trek klingon geeks.. They should go meet girls and get laid" he exclaims, and gets scolded by his mum for being rude.

Now I'm sitting there trying to hold back a slightly embarrassed blush and keeping a very deadpan face.
My mum and dad are, weakly, holding back massive laughter.. and you can just tell by the atmosphere around the table that we three know something the others don't.

And for crying out loud, the son of the family just turns to me and goes "... Goddamnit Sam, you've watched it more than five times haven't you?"

So I confess, and had him sitting there laughing at me for about 10mins :(
I then tell him about learning the language, and he almost falls off his chair.  >:(

Thankfully his little brother was fascinated and I think I may have influenced another person to looking at learning Na'vi! Whoop whoop!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.       - John Stuart Mill

Muntxa

Quote from: Unilmokri on January 31, 2010, 12:57:40 PM
Well, guests have left.. and I'm sitting here feeling slightly embarrassed too  :(

We had a family over for dinner, and ofc at one point the conversation turns to Avatar.

My parents know I'm a hardcore fan of the movie, and it's no secret that they openly laugh about me having seen it 7 times; and my mum knows I'm trying to learn how to speak Na'vi also (dad would never let me forget how absolutely nerdy he thinks that is, so I'm trying to not let him in on that  :D)

So anyway.. During dinner, conversation turns to this "new movie, Avatar".. Which noone in the other family has seen yet. We get talking about how we all went and saw it last night, and how my dad thought it was only "okay", my mum "loved it".. and I'm a complete mess over it.

The family's eldest son starts laughing and tells of how one of his class-mates has seen it five times, and how she's told him that some people are even trying to learn the language.
"How goddamn sad is that?! Seriously, who but the biggest geeks waste money on watching the same movie in the cinema five times?! And learning the language is on par with those Star Trek klingon geeks.. They should go meet girls and get laid" he exclaims, and gets scolded by his mum for being rude.

Now I'm sitting there trying to hold back a slightly embarrassed blush and keeping a very deadpan face.
My mum and dad are, weakly, holding back massive laughter.. and you can just tell by the atmosphere around the table that we three know something the others don't.

And for crying out loud, the son of the family just turns to me and goes "... Goddamnit Sam, you've watched it more than five times haven't you?"

I then tell him about learning the language, and he almost falls off his chair.  >:(

Thankfully his little brother was fascinated and I think I may have influenced another person to looking at learning Na'vi! Whoop whoop!

xDDDD Oh god! I'm laughing so hard right now!!! Your description... genius!!

"I then tell him about learning the language, and he almost falls off his chair. >:(

xDDD

It's nothing you have to be embarrassed about! Be proud about having the strength to learn this language!

Oh, and 1+ Karma for making my day.

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

Well, guests have left.. and I'm sitting here feeling slightly embarrassed too  :(

My parents know I'm a hardcore fan of the movie, and it's no secret that they openly laugh about me having seen it 7 times; and my mum knows I'm trying to learn how to speak Na'vi also (dad would never let me forget how absolutely nerdy he thinks that is, so I'm trying to not let him in on that  :D)

I then tell him about learning the language, and he almost falls off his chair.  >:(

I had about the same reaction during a family party last week. On my side though, no body backed me and it was awful. Everyone was saying the same thing: "Why are you learning a language that you'll be the only one on earth to speak." They just don't understand how fun it is and hoe much people are learning it. Worst, it's not like I could convince them that it was fun. They simply didn't want to listen...
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

Kxanìa 'awpo

Haha, that made my day. My family would make fun of me for weeks on that one. :P
"They've sent us a message... that they can take whatever they want. Well we will send them a message. That this... this is our land!" -Juke Sully

Eyamsiyu

Dude, that guy's a total d**che for doing that.  I honestly would have racked him for saying crap like that.

But influencing his younger brother, I think, is enough of a "revenge," if you will. :P

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

MaTe

Quote from: Autakuk'Ekong on January 31, 2010, 03:15:26 PM
But influencing his younger brother, I think, is enough of a "revenge," if you will. :P

That is an evil revenge.

At my recent viewing, the guy who checks the ticket knew my real name... and I really do wonder how... maybe he was selling the ticket some other time and read it on credit card?
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: MaTe on January 31, 2010, 03:46:59 PM
At my recent viewing, the guy who checks the ticket knew my real name... and I really do wonder how... maybe he was selling the ticket some other time and read it on credit card?

Might want to watch your card, then.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

Unilmokri

Quote from: Kawazoe on January 31, 2010, 01:19:50 PM
Worst, it's not like I could convince them that it was fun. They simply didn't want to listen...
I know exactly where you're coming from with that.
People just don't realize how thought-out Na'vi was, and has become. They just hear it as "language invented for a movie" and BAM; they've made up their minds.

What's sadder is that most of the friends I've allready talked to about it, are studying stuff at university that they hate, and don't have any intention of ever using.
I ask them why they study it, and it's cause "well, they had to pick -something-", and then don't understand why I'm amazed that they can rip on me for immersing myself in something I enjoy and like, and have an intention of using, while they waste their time on learning other crap they don't want, need or enjoy.

Is so sad :(

But I dont wanna derail the thread with off-topic banter, back to embarrassing moments of Na'viism! :P
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.       - John Stuart Mill

Quote from: Unilmokri on January 31, 2010, 04:25:03 PM
I know exactly where you're coming from with that.
People just don't realize how thought-out Na'vi was, and has become. They just hear it as "language invented for a movie" and BAM; they've made up their minds.

That's exactly my point! I'm not really surprised that someone learning Na'vi understand it though ;)

I had a little embarrassing moment just yesterday.  Let's say that I was ready for it when it happened. I went to see avatar in IMAX and I yelled a sentence in Na'vi during the credits. Last time I did that, at least someone answered which let the tension get down. This time, nothing... just plain silence and a LOT of people looking at me with the same oh-my-god face. Still, it was kinda fun ;)
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

Not super embarrassing, but pretty funny nonetheless.

Right now I'm watching a movie for my Chinese class, and I'm (obviously) surfing this site at the same time.

So a minute ago, I wasn't paying attention and I realized that I understood what they were saying without the subtitles. I got really excited for a minute that I could understand Na'vi without trying... and then I realized the movie was in Chinese instead.

Now I'm disappointed.
Avatar is a movie about a guy with blue balls running through the forest chasing tail.

Eyamsiyu

Technowraith

Quote from: Autakuk'Ekong on January 31, 2010, 03:15:26 PM

Dude, that guy's a total d**che for doing that.  I honestly would have racked him for saying crap like that.

I'd love to meet this guy and tell him I saw Avatar 20 times. Just to see what he says.  ;D
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Robert Nantangä Tirea

+1'd you for saying it to his face and getting his younger brother interested!

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Quote from: Technowraith on January 31, 2010, 10:05:44 PM
I'd love to meet this guy and tell him I saw Avatar 20 times. Just to see what he says.  ;D

I guess he'd call you crazy... or he might just get unconscious ;)

Kisora

I feel embarrased to even like this universe as much as I do now. I keep telling myself 'it's not real, never will be, You just want to get outta school and try camping' yet I always end up here learning more, weeping over avatar soundtrack and saying kaltxì to my friends.

I plan to add painting myself blue, learning archery and going to see the dentist soon to get pointed teeth.

But I guess I just can't help it, the universe of avatar is mesmerizing. Though can't I believe I emo-ed over the show for a month after watching it.

Quote from: Kisora on February 01, 2010, 10:25:13 AM
I feel embarrased to even like this universe as much as I do now. I keep telling myself 'it's not real, never will be, You just want to get outta school and try camping' yet I always end up here learning more, weeping over avatar soundtrack and saying kaltxì to my friends.

I plan to add painting myself blue, learning archery and going to see the dentist soon to get pointed teeth.

But I guess I just can't help it, the universe of avatar is mesmerizing. Though can't I believe I emo-ed over the show for a month after watching it.

There's nothing to feel embarrassed in that. Well... not when you talk about it here :P I'm pretty sure a lot of people is thinking the exact same way. Who knows! I might even be one of them ;)

Eyamsiyu

@Kisora: Yeah, you're not alone on this one.  They call this the "Avatar Blues," and it's made international news.

Yeah, it is totally unfortunate that that is the case.  Honestly, it makes me think of that Linkin Park music video for "What I've Done." (BTW, ahead of time I will say that that album is the worst out of their major three).  You watch the video and listen to the lyrics, especially with the scenes depicting nature, you immediately think, "What the **** did we do to this planet?"  People did not find the beauty of nature when we had it, and now we lose it due to technological advancement.

In summary, I know it's fiction.  But at the same time, you realize that we need an escape like so, where we 1) can get away from out dying planet, and 2) start a new way of life, even if it kills us.

Kaiatéya

I spent a weekend with out of town friends, and they all kept making fun of me for being an Avatar nerd and speaking the occasional word of Na'vi at them. The one had absolutely no excuse since she's seen it 7 times and may go see it an 8th in the next week .. I've only seen it 3. :P I finally told her that and she's like .. uh .. yeah .. oh. Hehe..

Then she admitted to me that her roommate is also learning Na'vi. :D I taught her to say "skxawng" at least.