The Most Embarrassing Avatar Related Moment

Started by Mako, January 04, 2010, 10:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Itan Atxur

Yeah, not only would I not even know where to begin, but there aren't any conventions near me at all.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Technowraith

Quote from: Itan Atìtxur on February 04, 2010, 10:08:23 PM
Yeah, not only would I not even know where to begin, but there aren't any conventions near me at all.

costume construction is simple:

Since i have a tail, that's done. But i will probably make a better tail. Next i'll get a wig. then the RDA version of the clothes. Essentially Jake in RDA Avatar form. Boots i can get or simply recycle my work boots that i use now. Simple costume.

Fabricating from scratch is a whole other ball game.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

'Itan Atxur

Yeah, I guess an Avatar really isn't that hard in the end. The make up seems like it would be a pain though. Particularly the stripes and the bioluminesent parts. And what about the eyes?

Txonyä'ite

About the costume thing, I wonder if i could do the na'vi female thing without getting arrested and still look authentic? I mean how much do you have to cover?

'Itan Atxur

Kaiatéya

*cough*offtopic*cough* ;D

There was someone in the pictures thread who was talking about using Poweriser stilts to get the height and speed for a real Na'vi outfit. You'd have to wear pants of course, so avatar-only.

Tengfya swizaw

Quote from: Kaiatéya on February 04, 2010, 10:26:02 PM
*cough*offtopic*cough* ;D

There was someone in the pictures thread who was talking about using Poweriser stilts to get the height and speed for a real Na'vi outfit. You'd have to wear pants of course, so avatar-only.

That would've been me. I'm impressed; you know what they're called.
While using the stilts would be more realistic, I'm afraid it would only work for an Avatar costume, not a strictly Na'vi costume. Metal stilts are a bit more conspicuous with a loincloth on.

Here's to not knowing exactly what you're saying and having fun with it.

Proud founder of the DeviantART Learn Na'vi group!
http://learnnavi.deviantart.com/

'Itan Atxur

Pretty much every time I open my mouth around my friends or family, I end up embarrassing myself. They pretty much think I'm a freak. It kind of sucks having to suppress myself around others. That's why I like it here on the forum.

Tengfya swizaw

Quote from: Itan Atìtxur on February 04, 2010, 10:33:11 PM
Pretty much every time I open my mouth around my friends or family, I end up embarrassing myself. They pretty much think I'm a freak. It kind of sucks having to suppress myself around others. That's why I like it here on the forum.
Mumble more. If you say something in Na'vi while mumbling slightly, I've found that it makes it almost impossible for the untrained ear to distinguish, and you'll just draw a blank stare and a polite "what?" after which you change the subject by complimenting their socks.

Here's to not knowing exactly what you're saying and having fun with it.

Proud founder of the DeviantART Learn Na'vi group!
http://learnnavi.deviantart.com/

'Itan Atxur

Lol. They'd know for sure I'd lost my mind if I started commenting on their socks.

Technowraith

Quote from: Tengfya swizaw on February 04, 2010, 10:35:44 PM
Mumble more. If you say something in Na'vi while mumbling slightly, I've found that it makes it almost impossible for the untrained ear to distinguish, and you'll just draw a blank stare and a polite "what?" after which you change the subject by complimenting their socks.

I've found that quite effective for some reason. I don't quite know why, but it does work and it works well. At least to all my friends and relatives. Half of them are deaf because they blast earphones 24/7, so i guess i have an advantage there.  :P My mom and dad know about my fandom, but they're pretty much used to it. Even mom had caught on to Na'vi and greets people with "Kalxti," and bides farewell with "Vireyame." She even joined my cause to prevent Dad from cutting down the willow tree out back.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Atoki Atanyä

Quote from: Technowraith on February 05, 2010, 05:17:12 AM
Quote from: Tengfya swizaw on February 04, 2010, 10:35:44 PM

I've found that quite effective for some reason. I don't quite know why, but it does work and it works well. At least to all my friends and relatives. Half of them are deaf because they blast earphones 24/7, so i guess i have an advantage there.  :P My mom and dad know about my fandom, but they're pretty much used to it. Even mom had caught on to Na'vi and greets people with "Kalxti," and bides farewell with "Vireyame." She even joined my cause to prevent Dad from cutting down the willow tree out back.

Every household has to have a tree of souls, no?

Hehe good on you for protecting it :)

I haven't tried the mumbling idea yet, but the suppression I do understand. These forums are a great place to express ourselves though :)

I will be mumbling and muttering under my breath from now on. My sister caught me lip-syncing the chant at the beginning of "Jakes First Flight" the other day whilst walking back from school. That was..... interesting :P
Atoki's Guide to Learning Na'vi: Part One is Here!

'Itan Atxur

I want a tree of souls! I don't have one. All I have is a bunch of trees (which I'm perfectly fine with).

Esperanto

Quote from: Itan Atìtxur on February 04, 2010, 10:14:29 PM
Yeah, I guess an Avatar really isn't that hard in the end. The make up seems like it would be a pain though. Particularly the stripes and the bioluminesent parts. And what about the eyes?
This guy totally has us all covered... actually looks easy but I do NOT have a steady enough hand for this. :D
Lu Oeyä Ikranit ulte ayoe 'awsiteng mivakto.

'Itan Atxur

Nice find. Yet another person like me who had no desire to see the movie at first but found it awesome afterwards.

Atoki Atanyä

Quote from: Darrigan on February 05, 2010, 08:55:12 AM
Quote from: Itan Atìtxur on February 04, 2010, 10:14:29 PM
This guy totally has us all covered... actually looks easy but I do NOT have a steady enough hand for this. :D

Forget that guy: THIS is where it's at:
Avatar Makeup Tutorial in 10 Seconds

*Winces at pronunciation of "Makto*

Atoki's Guide to Learning Na'vi: Part One is Here!

'Itan Atxur

Txonyä'ite

That's the best tutorial ever, that's how I'm doing my makeup for work today :D

Ftiafpi

Kaiatéya

Quote from: Technowraith on February 05, 2010, 05:17:12 AMShe even joined my cause to prevent Dad from cutting down the willow tree out back.

Avatar: Corrupting the nation's youth in Outstanding ways since 2009. ;D