The Na'Vi Belief

Started by brionywolf, December 24, 2009, 06:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brionywolf

Anyone care to summarise their belief system?
My friend is a High-wiccan priestess and she couldn't get over how similar the beliefs are.

I love it. I followed Wicca for about 6 or 7 years, so I could relate so much of the movie to it.

I want to be a blue alien >.< lol
Anyone really rich wanna buy about 2000 acres, grab all obsessive fans, and let us live as if we were Na'vi on the grounds? thank you so much =D

xxxx

Update:

I love that my post was about their belief system and my comment on the acreage-life stuff was only a random joke comment - yet it's that comment that has become the more popular discussion. I can't get over how much intrigue people have over this post. WOOT WOOT! I feel special   ;D

shiaru

2000 acres could come up at $9.5 million, If we get a $2000 ticket to live in there we are talking 10,000 people living in there. But it would only be land. Now if you want houses, with small commodities, I guess the price would go up. After taking the price of the land form the budget we are left with $10,500,000. That leaves the living commodities for everyone at $1050. So at $20,000 per ticket and only 5000 people there it might be possible. With those I get $90,500,000. and you would get a $18,100 house.

Best numbers are at $210,000 ticket to live there, and 250 people max. we get a budget of $43,000,000. and there we are talking a 172,000 house in roughly 8 acres of land per person.
now all of this means 250 individual houses, but if we are talking families of 3 per house then we got better numbers, good enough to build 84 houses of 500,000 for the families. with an extra  11904.7619 per person, thus givin me nearly one million surplus to be used as needed.

so now all we need is 250 people living in families of 3 that liked avatar and wanna live in a closed private comunity by paying $210,000 to live in a roughly 500,000 house. I think its a sweet deal.
~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

Étienne

Quote from: shiaru on December 24, 2009, 09:50:57 PM
2000 acres could come up at $9.5 million, If we get a $2000 ticket to live in there we are talking 10,000 people living in there. But it would only be land. Now if you want houses, with small commodities, I guess the price would go up. After taking the price of the land form the budget we are left with $10,500,000. That leaves the living commodities for everyone at $1050. So at $20,000 per ticket and only 5000 people there it might be possible. With those I get $90,500,000. and you would get a $18,100 house.

Best numbers are at $210,000 ticket to live there, and 250 people max. we get a budget of $43,000,000. and there we are talking a 172,000 house in roughly 8 acres of land per person.
now all of this means 250 individual houses, but if we are talking families of 3 per house then we got better numbers, good enough to build 84 houses of 500,000 for the families. with an extra  11904.7619 per person, thus givin me nearly one million surplus to be used as needed.

so now all we need is 250 people living in families of 3 that liked avatar and wanna live in a closed private comunity by paying $210,000 to live in a roughly 500,000 house. I think its a sweet deal.

I think she means to live inside a giant tree.

brionywolf

Lol there was recently a shack for sale, with 2000 acres attached, for $2000000 lol =P

Étienne

That must be one hell of a shack. None the less though we have a rain forest. Problem is that pretty much anything could kill us in it and we would have to worry about natives and loggers. More so deadly insects. Come to think of it this sounds like a terrible idea. Just playing. But seriously though I don't want to get mauled by a bear.

Eyamsiyu

I'd rather take my chances of a real Pandora existing.  I'm broke, need a job, and frankly, though I loved the movie and pretty much everything about it, to me, it's just another persona to take on.

And I can't say that I ever knew anything about Wicca at all, since I follow another road.  To each his own, I guess.

However, it is a great idea to live out the culture and the way they live, but I just don't see people giving up $210,000 or so very easily, unless they would be absolutely sure that the necessities for life would be met (shelter, food, other people, etc.).  Not to mention that we have been, and still are, in the worst recession since the Great Depression of the '30s (at least in America: unfortunately I don't hear much about other nations).  Which, in a sense, could be a contributing factor as to why Avatar is as awesome as it is.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Tirealì'u

The Na'vi belief system seemed, generally, pretty similar to most shamantic-styled systems over all. Since the OP brought up Wicca, that is, by and large, a modern re-creation of those types of religions (although largely Western and in the European sense). So it isn't too surprising that it is similar.

However, we only get so much of a look at the Na'vi belief system. I'd be curious to see how many things are represented in spiritual ways to them. ie: animal spirits, etc... They do have a word for "dream hunt" though, which I think is fairly telling.

shiaru

;D I was joking though The numbers I did where real. ;D

Now onto the Na'vi beliefs, The Wicca however is not so similar, since for us its a belief but for the Na'vi is real, 100% since is not some mystic thing, the trees form an unified brain system that the Na'vi call Eywa. All creatures are part of the symbiotic relationship with the moon, simple as that.

~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

Beduino

Quote from: shiaru on December 24, 2009, 09:50:57 PM

you just forgot to include the money to get a genetic engineer to make implants in all of us and create criatures with those things too so we could connect our brains. same for plants.. and about the bears, well, get your bows and spears!
tsun ngal tslam fì'uti srak?

Étienne

Quote from: Tirealì'u on December 24, 2009, 10:44:46 PM
The Na'vi belief system seemed, generally, pretty similar to most shamantic-styled systems over all. Since the OP brought up Wicca, that is, by and large, a modern re-creation of those types of religions (although largely Western and in the European sense). So it isn't too surprising that it is similar.

However, we only get so much of a look at the Na'vi belief system. I'd be curious to see how many things are represented in spiritual ways to them. ie: animal spirits, etc... They do have a word for "dream hunt" though, which I think is fairly telling.

The other factor is that they also have a biological connection with the planet. That is something that none of our beliefs have. Well to my knowledge.

Tirealì'u

Correct, which is why I'm actually curious to see more of the religion.

... But I was looking beyond the 100%, provable, scientific side of things and entirely on religious belief when I posted that. :-)

(Well, not 100% provable, since I'm something of a relativist... But that's beside the point, too!)

Txur’Itan

Quote from: brionywolf on December 24, 2009, 06:39:08 PM
Anyone care to summarise their belief system?
My friend is a High-wiccan priestess and she couldn't get over how similar the beliefs are.

I love it. I followed Wicca for about 6 or 7 years, so I could relate so much of the movie to it.

I want to be a blue alien >.< lol
Anyone really rich wanna buy about 2000 acres, grab all obsessive fans, and let us live as if we were Na'vi on the grounds? thank you so much =D

xxxx

Getting land in the us is pretty cheap in some places, but once more than two families living on one piece of land, the feds want to send in tear gas to break it up.

Building a smaller "Kelutrel" is possible, it would essentially be a tiered skyscraper, and then you grow vegetation on it.  It's not an expensive option if you just buy materials and build it with your "olo'Na'vi".  However, it would require many people physically collaborating, I do not see that happing unless people can dig holes, lay concrete, and twine rebar from the internet, but if you can convince enough people to pay for and work on it, I would not mind doing some freaky construction work.

By the way, I suggest you pay someone to draft a certified blue print including a foundation, and keep it within five stories, something the size of a mountain is not practical, and definitely too expensive.

Maybe you can convince Donald trump to build in all that open land in Nevada.
私は太った男だ。

Étienne

Also most of us have to be at some physical peak to even dare tread on this sort of land. I'm good since I free run, but finding a semi-physical group of us nerds to do this undertaking would be quite challenging.

shiaru

Talk for yourself I rip 35 one handed. 50 repetitions, now onto what I was going to say...

Yeah If we had brain tails (that's what I call their little interface) and everything in this planet had one interface for it, and the plants grow to become a network, and only the good thoughts and ideas are allowed to be uploaded by the trees. Then we can start to call that god, for it would know more than any individual can ever hope to know, and it would be wiser than anyone else. Also it would rock, since then i would be able to ride any horse not only the trained ones. Just hook your brain tail and done instant horse control (no GPS included).  ;D
~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

Beduino

Quote from: Étienne on December 24, 2009, 11:02:31 PM
Also most of us have to be at some physical peak to even dare tread on this sort of land. I'm good since I free run, but finding a semi-physical group of us nerds to do this undertaking would be quite challenging.

WHO ARE YOU CALLING NERD??  >:(

hahahahahahha  :P

I think this old concept of nerd is overrated :P
we are modern nerds hahaha

Étienne

Hehee well I'm happy to know there is another with intellect and physical aptitude. Also being a IT nerd the plants networking would actually work the same way our internet network does or at least that much I have gathered since data is ever flowing in cables and in the air and data itself is energy that we funnel essentially it's just light and it all goes 3x10 to the power of 8 or something.

Also a fun fact that head tail is erotic to connect to another. :D

[/quote]

WHO ARE YOU CALLING NERD??  >:(

hahahahahahha  :P

I think this old concept of nerd is overrated :P
we are modern nerds hahaha
[/quote]

I am myself a nerd but in all it's glory being a nerd is a great thing. Just most that I have come across in my life time have not been, how you say physically adept.

Beduino

I was just kidding with you :p
but here in Brasil you find the nerds, but most of than play soccer or some other sport, so they are not hat nerd "nerd".. dunno how to explain.. well, let's drop it hahah

idogis1

Head down to the Amazon Basin and try to get one of the more remote tribes to accept you.

The Na'vi system of belief is pretty much identical to Amazon Basin Natives' or some plains tribes in North America. The Natives typically have a shamanistic system of beliefs centering around the interconnectivity of all living things, which they believe they experience through the use of hallucinogens. Most hunter gather tribes have some system of belief about balance with nature which kept them alive for thousands of years, ensuring that the population of animals that they hunted stayed stable.

So, massive influx of white nerds to the Amazon Rain Forest.

ProjectHellsing

im not really sure exactly what religion i belong to, my opinion is most religion is based on what men created to keep people from doing s*** they didnt like. also im not too familiar with wicca but i have many wiccan friends and i agree na'vi is quite similar to it. when jakesully says to eywa that where the sky people came from they killed their "mother". its true, we as a species lost touch with our planet long ago the moment we started industrializing everything. i would love to live in a place where everything is connected and perhaps made more sense than this planet and its people.

Beduino

Quote from: ProjectHellsing on December 25, 2009, 01:03:08 AM
im not really sure exactly what religion i belong to, my opinion is most religion is based on what men created to keep people from doing s*** they didnt like. also im not too familiar with wicca but i have many wiccan friends and i agree na'vi is quite similar to it. when jakesully says to eywa that where the sky people came from they killed their "mother". its true, we as a species lost touch with our planet long ago the moment we started industrializing everything. i would love to live in a place where everything is connected and perhaps made more sense than this planet and its people.

Yep, I see Eywa as Gaia. The "Mother Nature".