Theater dates?

Started by Kaiatéya, February 01, 2010, 06:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Technowraith

Quote from: TorukMakto! on February 03, 2010, 10:11:58 PM

Good analysis.
I really don't see a reason why Avatar won't run for another 3 months on regular 3D and even on IMAX, doesn't seeem like Alice making too much noise :D.

I don't think anything is making much noise right now with Avatar bashing the movie industry to bits right now.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawntsaheylu on February 03, 2010, 10:15:13 PM
Avatar didn't originally make a lot of noise by where I live, One day I was just looking to see what movies were playing and I see Avatar, I was like "hmmm that looks ok I guess" little did I know I was about to get Chuck Norris Roundhouse Kicked to the face with super awesomeness!

:D !
QuotePosted by: Technowraith 
Insert Quote
Quote from: TorukMakto! on Today at 09:11:58 PM

Good analysis.
I really don't see a reason why Avatar won't run for another 3 months on regular 3D and even on IMAX, doesn't seeem like Alice making too much noise .

I don't think anything is making much noise right now with Avatar bashing the movie industry to bits right now. 

That is true but still for instance , you still heard about the book of eli and legion altough they are both being air the same time Avatar is, it just , at least to me Alice is unheard of. I didn't hear of this anything till I saw posters here at this forum mentioning it.

Kaiatéya

Has anyone gone to see Avatar on both the dome IMAX and the "theater style" IMAX? Any thoughts on whether the dome improves the experience? I've never actually gone to see a movie on a dome IMAX, so I hadn't thought about things like .. maybe they just project the theater-sized image onto the dome and it's not fully filled out.

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Kaiatéya on February 03, 2010, 11:26:53 PM
Has anyone gone to see Avatar on both the dome IMAX and the "theater style" IMAX? Any thoughts on whether the dome improves the experience? I've never actually gone to see a movie on a dome IMAX, so I hadn't thought about things like .. maybe they just project the theater-sized image onto the dome and it's not fully filled out.

What is the dome IMAX?

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: TorukMakto! on February 03, 2010, 11:28:09 PM
What is the dome IMAX?

http://www.yelp.com/topic/chicago-imax-vs-omnimax

I actually had to look this up. It took a few minutes to find the right words: "Used to be called OmniMax."

Here's the short version:

1: Google has not caught up to Dome IMAX and so you have to search for OmniMax.
2: Omnimax is now Dome IMAX or IMAX Dome, or whatever.
3: I believe the famous Cinerama Dome (on Sunset) in Hollywood is an OmniMax.

4: Okay, IMAX is a flat, or flat-ish screen, whereas Dome or OmniMax is this monstrous wrap around screen that goes up to the ceiling and on both sides of you. It really throws you wight into the action. Think "Jurrasic Park," and being chased by dinosaurs. Even better: think Avatar, and the big battle scene, or the flight scenes earlier. The only one I know of like this in San Diego is in our museum, which I am hoping will get Avatar someday. I think the Mira Mesa IMAX is a theater one, as it is an Edwards IMAX.

So if you have a choice, go with the Dome or OmniMax IMAX and bring a vomit bag.   :D

Hope this helps.

Oh, and if anyone needs an off-topic laugh, please check out my newest stupid song/TV idea:

http://forum.learnnavi.org/spam/if-they-had-tv-on-pandora/

Thanks in advance
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Kaiatéya

I've actually been to the San Diego Omnimax :) Barf bag is about right. It's amazing. There's no other word for it. I drool over the idea of Avatar filling a full 180 degree dome.

Problem is, most Omnimax theaters are not equipped with the digital 3D projector setup that movie theater IMAX typically has (and Avatar 3D requires). So they are not bothering to show it.

There's one 3D Omnimax in Seattle that is showing it, and I'd love to go .. but it's not going to be worth the effort unless it is really mind blowingly better than the regular IMAX for Avatar 3D specifically. I don't know if Avatar would fill that whole screen or if they just show it on a portion in its normal aspect ratio.

MaTe

seattle "Omnimax" is not much different than another imax (Bellevue) - similar size/sound setup. Seen Avatar there once, but don't bother driving 20 minutes again (especially since it's 15 minute walk to bellevue IMAX).
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: MaTe on February 04, 2010, 01:46:04 AM
seattle "Omnimax" is not much different than another imax (Bellevue) - similar size/sound setup. Seen Avatar there once, but don't bother driving 20 minutes again (especially since it's 15 minute walk to bellevue IMAX).
Walking 15 minutes (to see Avatar) is more fun than driving 20 minutes (to see Avatar). You can let your mind wander and imagine all of the great stuff you are going to see :-)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Kaiatéya

Quote from: MaTe on February 04, 2010, 01:46:04 AM

This is the Pacific Science Center or whatever it's called that you're thinking of with the Seattle Omnimax/dome IMAX?

MaTe

yes, Pacific Science center IMAX (15/70). we have only 2 in the area AFAIK.
While the actual screen is bigger than in Bellevue's Lincon Square Cinema's IMAX(digital), it's not even close to 180degrees and they use about 80% of it when they show Avatar.

Disclaimer: It's the first time I hear "Omnimax" term - maybe people expect something completely different from it.
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

Kaiatéya

Alrighty .. thanks for the info! That saves me a lot of angst. ;D

This picture gives you an idea for what I was talking about:

http://blog.sandiego.org/2009/07/cool-down-with-free-imax-at-the-fleet/

You can see part of the audience and the edge of the dome, but it goes all the way across, up, and down.

On a typical "science IMAX" film, that entire dome is filled with image. Imagining Avatar 3D on that monster was making me drool.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

I don't know much about other countries, but up here in Sweden, they run movies on theaters as long as they drag people, and Avatar is at place 2 of the most popular movies in Sweden atm, wich probably are going to change to the first place again as soon as the latest movie premiers stop sucking people. :)

edit: Wait... does Avatar exist on IMAX Dome? :O And if museum theaters are able to get their hands on Avatar after the rotation, then I'll have a chance of seeing Avatar on IMAX!  8)

HOLY S**T! They even Have IMAX Dome 3D Here! :D :D ! I can't wait for an answer, I'll have to send an email right away!

edit2: Obviously they aren't planning on showing it there, not really a suprise, they have never shown a real movie at Cosmonova :(

Kaiatéya

Hehe! ;D Now you know exactly how I felt when I learned there was a 3D dome theater showing it here...

I dunno though, it's an awful long slog up there for it (~3 hour drive) and we'd have to find someone to watch the kiddo or whatever .. not easy. I may just have to "make do" with the regular IMAX here.

Technowraith

Here in the US, almost all the large museums contain an IMAX screen, or a IMAX Dome. It's not uncommon for the museums to play special engagements. I think Avatar on IMAX Dome would be the most epic experience ever. However, with the over-arching size of the dome, it's kinda hard to keep the "big picture" in mind. When i see movies on the Dome, i tend to have to scan around the entire screen to see everything, Mostly due to how "large"  the movie becomes on the wrap-around dome.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Kaiatéya on February 04, 2010, 03:37:46 PM
Alrighty .. thanks for the info! That saves me a lot of angst. ;D

This picture gives you an idea for what I was talking about:

http://blog.sandiego.org/2009/07/cool-down-with-free-imax-at-the-fleet/

You can see part of the audience and the edge of the dome, but it goes all the way across, up, and down.

On a typical "science IMAX" film, that entire dome is filled with image. Imagining Avatar 3D on that monster was making me drool.

Oh wow, that looks........ unexplainable.
That's def not the IMAX I went to, not that I complain about watching a movie on a 7 stores high screen and blasting sounds sytem and effects.