Theater dates?

Started by Kaiatéya, February 01, 2010, 06:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaiatéya

This is probably everyone's least favorite subject ;D but does anyone know when Avatar is scheduled to be rotated out of theaters? I've gotta get in a few more times at least!

Technowraith

Quote from: Kaiatéya on February 01, 2010, 06:48:20 PM
This is probably everyone's least favorite subject ;D but does anyone know when Avatar is scheduled to be rotated out of theaters? I've gotta get in a few more times at least!

Here in the US, Avatar IMAX is scheduled to rotate on March 5, the date Alice in wonderland IMAX comes out.

I haven't seen any reduction in the number of screens at the two largest of my regional theaters. Though the smaller theater has rotated Avatar off one of the two screens last week. A safe bet is that Avatar may still be in theaters until the end of February.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Kaiatéya

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Technowraith on February 01, 2010, 07:14:02 PM

Here in the US, Avatar IMAX is scheduled to rotate on March 5, the date Alice in wonderland IMAX comes out.

I haven't seen any reduction in the number of screens at the two largest of my regional theaters. Though the smaller theater has rotated Avatar off one of the two screens last week. A safe bet is that Avatar may still be in theaters until the end of February.

That's only on IMAX though, right ? This Alice thing ruins ah  >:(
It'll probably keep on going on regular 3D after it drop from IMAX, at least I hope so , so I could get some cash to see it again.

pbhead

ya... alice in land-so-not-as-wonderful-as-pandora will prolly bump avatar off of a lot of screens... because they would both be competing for 3d screens... and theater execs are like "avatar has had its fun"... only the largest of theaters have 1 or 2 screenings/day left after march 5th...

but that means its got 4 more weeks to DOMINATE... assuming current trends... thats... approximately... 40*.85 + 40*.85^2 + 40*.85^3 40*.85^4 = 110 million. domesticly... at which point income will unfortunatly slow to a trickle... unless alice bombs (PLZ! eeeewwww... the trailer looks so UGLY) and they put avatar back up... which... never happens. 

There are too many movies nowdays.  Why couldnt avatar be released in the 1920's like gone with the wind.... then, there would be no competition... herm... and the fact that showing 2009 level of technology to... their minds would be freaking blown.  You think avatar is depressing? immagine if it was released then, with shzztons of smokestacks everywhere, and the coolest gadget is a radio... avatar blues? heh, this movie would be the CAUSE of the great depression.

and then no one could freaking compare avatar to ferngully and dances with wolves... and (ROFL) all the critics would be like "'dances with wolves' is just 'avatar' on earth" 

TorukMakto!

Quote from: pbhead on February 01, 2010, 09:50:07 PM
unless alice bombs (PLZ! eeeewwww... the trailer looks so UGLY) and they put avatar back up... which... never happens. 

I would really like to see that scenario happening! :)

Txonyä'ite

We can only hope, Alice in Wonderland looks like it might be almost as good as Legion... and anyone who saw that movie knows that saying its almost as good as Legion is like saying someone almost beat a quadriplegic in a foot race. My magic eight ball says the movie the ground hog has seen its shadow and we will have eight more weeks of Avatar   ;D ;)

pbhead

Quote from: Txonyä'ite on February 01, 2010, 11:24:58 PM
My magic eight ball says the movie the ground hog has seen its shadow and we will have eight more weeks of Avatar   ;D ;)

That, good sir, would be epic.

(you know... ima go ahead and predict that when the launch date for avatar 2 comes out... ever single other major movie is going to be like "oh shizz" and move back 10 weeks or so, so that they can 1: get a chance at being number 1, and 2: dont lose out rediculous amounts of market share to it. (i mean seriously... has any film released A.A (after avatar) broken 100 million? )

Technowraith

Quote from: TorukMakto! on February 01, 2010, 09:03:36 PM
Quote from: Technowraith on February 01, 2010, 07:14:02 PM

That's only on IMAX though, right ? This Alice thing ruins ah  >:(
It'll probably keep on going on regular 3D after it drop from IMAX, at least I hope so , so I could get some cash to see it again.

Correct about IMAX. The US rotation for Avatar IMAX is scheduled for MArch 5th. The Real 3D and standard screening rotations are unknown at this time. They may continue past the March 5th IMAX rotation on a limited engagement or single screen depending on revenue and theater. So far, i've seen only one Avatar screen rotate out so far from the 4 regional theaters i can go to. That leaves 11 of 12 original available screens. The only exception to this was the 12 screen theater that ran ALL 12 screens of avatar for 1 weekend (it was more just Saturday and Sunday, 2nd weekend after Avatar opened) to accommodate initial sellout crowds. I had gone to a different theater to avoid that mess.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

omängum fra'uti

As long as tickets continue to sell, it will be on screens somewhere.  To understand why, see the first part of http://www.themovieblog.com/2007/10/economics-of-the-movie-theater-where-the-money-goes-and-why-it-costs-us-so-much

Even if Avatar is only selling half full auditoriums, the theaters make more money off it than they would off a new release selling to a full house.  Now, I went to see Avatar last weekend with a friend who hadn't gotten to see it yet (Not her fault, she'd been sick) and the theater was still packed.  You can bet the movie theaters are LOVING avatar right now, even though it probably has one of the stingier lease deals of films.

It will nearly completely disappear from Imax once Alice in Wonderland comes out due to the fact that most theaters have one or two Imax screens at the most, and I believe Imax has more direct control over what is playing in most theaters.  I could be mistaken but I think I recall reading that very few Imax screens are actually independently operated.

Some of the local theaters here seem to have dropped Avatar from their 2d screens, but that's not surprising, the 2d showings weren't drawing the crowds that the 3d showings were.  As more movies come in to fill 3d screens that may change again.

It may well be that Avatar will have a screen in most major markets until such time as the DVD is released, possibly even a little after.

Early march is the MINUMUM I'd expect to see Avatar still showing for.  April, maybe even May, wouldn't be unexpected if the current trend keeps up.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

As the date for Alice comes nearer I think sales might go up a decent amount from people wanting to get in that "last view" of Avatar before it leaves theaters all together.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Kaiatéya

I'm coming around to thinking that, honestly, the IMAX timing is about right. When I went in early January you had to buy tickets on Fandango almost a week ahead of time, and show up to the theater 3 hours early to get a decent seat. Now none of them are shown as sold out, even up into the weekend.

Which means ...

Time to go again, and get good seats this time! ;D

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Kaiatéya on February 02, 2010, 05:55:04 PM
I'm coming around to thinking that, honestly, the IMAX timing is about right. When I went in early January you had to buy tickets on Fandango almost a week ahead of time, and show up to the theater 3 hours early to get a decent seat. Now none of them are shown as sold out, even up into the weekend.

Which means ...

Time to go again, and get good seats this time! ;D

Well I went a week ago and it still was sold out. By the way , what I was doing is ordering online the tickets and chosing my seat online also thus I was getting a good seat! :D

Technowraith

I already bought my tickets for this saturday's engagements at Avatar. I've got a real 3D showing followed by an IMAX 3D showing. LoL.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Kaiatéya

Quote from: TorukMakto! on February 02, 2010, 08:01:56 PMWell I went a week ago and it still was sold out. By the way , what I was doing is ordering online the tickets and chosing my seat online also thus I was getting a good seat! :D

Whoa... how can you do that? Is it a special IMAX that has assigned seating?

I really wish I could see it at one of the big dome-style "science" IMAX theaters but the only IMAX around here that's showing it is the kind that's basically a normal theater with a big screen.

I just remember going to see the Reuben Fleet IMAX in San Diego, and it was literally a 180 degree dome with about 4x the seating of a normal movie theater. The seats leaned back a little, and no matter where you sat, if you looked straight ahead you were covered all the way out to the edge of your peripheral vision. The IMAX where I grew up (Dallas) was like that too. I remember being awfully disappointed the first time I saw one with the standard theater style screen ;D

Quote from: Technowraith on February 02, 2010, 09:38:04 PM
I already bought my tickets for this saturday's engagements at Avatar. I've got a real 3D showing followed by an IMAX 3D showing. LoL.

Hah! Wow.

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Kaiatéya on February 03, 2010, 12:12:49 AM
Quote from: TorukMakto! on February 02, 2010, 08:01:56 PMWell I went a week ago and it still was sold out. By the way , what I was doing is ordering online the tickets and chosing my seat online also thus I was getting a good seat! :D

Whoa... how can you do that? Is it a special IMAX that has assigned seating?

Yes. Here you go.
http://www.movietickets.com/movie_detail.asp?movie_id=72011
That's what I did. You enter your Zip code , and #mi away, it gives you a list of all the theaters that has IMAX in you search zone area. Then you order a ticket(s) online and you have a pictue of the seats , their corresponding row# and seat#, you pick the one you want (center-center or a little top-center is reccomended), and that's it! :)

*Note: I've set the ticket ordering for IMAX, you can also change it o 3D , but I assumed you'd want the IMAX option :D.

Kaiatéya

Boooo ... the only theater they show is the same one I went to before, and they don't support it. It worked with Fandango, but they don't allow you to do seat assignments.

On the other hand -- it has pointed me to a dome IMAX that's showing it in Seattle .. ;D I'm thinking somehow that a 3 hour drive each way to see Avatar on the dome is going to be a hard sell... (have to get someone to watch the kiddo) Bummer.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

IMAX:

The museum IMAX theaters are probably drooling over the possibility they might get their hands on Avatar when Alice comes out. Right now they are showing crap. Of course this is complete speculation. I don;t know how the IMAX distribution deals work, but I will bet museums are at the bottom of the list.

However, to gauge how long Avatar will run, try this:

First, we see how many theaters it is currently playing in . . .

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2010-02-01&p=.htm

Box office mojo says just over 3,000 screens currently. That is "ultra wide" release. That is what blockbusters open with, so after 7 eeks, that is a very healthy sign (well 2 billion is a very healthy sign too). That number will slowly drop, but here is how we can guess "when":

http://www.themovieinsider.com/movie-releases/-/2010/

This (link above) is a "scheduled list" (no guarantees) of the next batch of movies. Look for things like Iron Man 2 (which will probably make around $350-400 million domestically). I like Alice. In fact, I am publishing Alice, but this version is iffy. It is Disney, so it has to be worth at least $230 million domestically (I have no idea what it will do overseas), but it just doesn't look like it has the appeal of a Shrek movie (Shrek 2=$440 million domestically). So I think Avatar will take a hit, but will survive Alice.

Given that 75% of what Avatar has made has come from overseas, and the probable lack of overseas interest in a lot of the upcoming movies, Avatar may actually have a longer run there (which doesn't mean *we* get to see it in IMAX any longer). So Avatar may break the Titanic 2.5 billion barrier ("adjusted for inflation") in the box office. It is 1.5 million short (as of yesterday's report) from dominating Titanic ($600 million) domestically, so whoever went to see it tonight made history by buying the tickets that officially made it the #1 movie domestically. (yaay!)

Anyway, it should be fun to try to figure out how long Avatar holds on, based on what upcoming movies do.
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on February 03, 2010, 02:00:11 AM
IMAX:

The museum IMAX theaters are probably drooling over the possibility they might get their hands on Avatar when Alice comes out. Right now they are showing crap. Of course this is complete speculation. I don;t know how the IMAX distribution deals work, but I will bet museums are at the bottom of the list.

However, to gauge how long Avatar will run, try this:

First, we see how many theaters it is currently playing in . . .

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2010-02-01&p=.htm

Box office mojo says just over 3,000 screens currently. That is "ultra wide" release. That is what blockbusters open with, so after 7 eeks, that is a very healthy sign (well 2 billion is a very healthy sign too). That number will slowly drop, but here is how we can guess "when":

http://www.themovieinsider.com/movie-releases/-/2010/

This (link above) is a "scheduled list" (no guarantees) of the next batch of movies. Look for things like Iron Man 2 (which will probably make around $350-400 million domestically). I like Alice. In fact, I am publishing Alice, but this version is iffy. It is Disney, so it has to be worth at least $230 million domestically (I have no idea what it will do overseas), but it just doesn't look like it has the appeal of a Shrek movie (Shrek 2=$440 million domestically). So I think Avatar will take a hit, but will survive Alice.

Given that 75% of what Avatar has made has come from overseas, and the probable lack of overseas interest in a lot of the upcoming movies, Avatar may actually have a longer run there (which doesn't mean *we* get to see it in IMAX any longer). So Avatar may break the Titanic 2.5 billion barrier ("adjusted for inflation") in the box office. It is 1.5 million short (as of yesterday's report) from dominating Titanic ($600 million) domestically, so whoever went to see it tonight made history by buying the tickets that officially made it the #1 movie domestically. (yaay!)

Anyway, it should be fun to try to figure out how long Avatar holds on, based on what upcoming movies do.

Good analysis.
I really don't see a reason why Avatar won't run for another 3 months on regular 3D and even on IMAX, doesn't seeem like Alice making too much noise :D.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Avatar didn't originally make a lot of noise by where I live, One day I was just looking to see what movies were playing and I see Avatar, I was like "hmmm that looks ok I guess" little did I know I was about to get Chuck Norris Roundhouse Kicked to the face with super awesomeness!
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it