what was the highest resolution avatar was ever officially released in?

Started by guest17426, January 06, 2019, 09:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest17426

hello, i do not know if a topic for this question already exists so i am making a new one.

so, my question is just that. as far as you know what was the highest quality format/ resolution avatar ever came out in for the public?

i really hope it was officially released in 4K :)

thank you for taking the time to reply.
eywa be with you

Eana Unil

The highest resolution release of Avatar would be the Extended Collector's Edition BluRay/3D BluRay, afaik (1080p/AVC MPEG-4).

Ertew

Avatar require a lot power to render so they stay with low resolution. IIRC whole film was rendered in 2K (a bit more than standard 1920px) or 2.5k because they have to crop final image for different aspect radios.
Also, Fox doesn't know how much the film will earn so they limit costs of postproducion. In 2008-2009 most digital cinemas in USA have only 2K resolution and only IMAX can benefit from higher rendering resolution.

On the other hand, Weta and Lightstorm have ability to re-render whole movie in 4K. If You search for Avatar 4K You can easily found few frames from the movie rendered in 4K resolution.
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

archaic

There was talk of Avatar being out in 4K/UHD a while back, but there's been no follow up that I can remember seeing since.
I think I remember that it expected to be upscaled from 2K to 4K, rather than rerendered. There was also talk of converting it to high dynamic range.

I find it highly unlikely that Cameron would not want 4K Avatar at some point, after all How to Train Your Dragon 4K Blu-ray is due for release 1/22/19.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

guest17426

i have heard that upscaling video can cause artifacting and video noise. that's why i'm probably not going to watch avatar in any "unofficial" resolution

however the 1080p extended edition looks absolutely amazing even on my cheap FHD monitor. so much detail, so much color

Vawmataw

1080p (maybe more 1080i) was popular at home ten years ago. I didn't know about 4K until a few years ago.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

archaic

True, and 720p was a big thing back then too.

Upscaling is not as terrible as it once was, ten years ago it was kind of meh.

IDK how much better it really is now, compared with ten years ago. I'd maybe talk to Adobe?

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on January 06, 2019, 01:48:35 PM
1080p (maybe more 1080i) was popular at home ten years ago. I didn't know about 4K until a few years ago.

Quote from: archaic on January 06, 2019, 02:52:29 PM
True, and 720p was a big thing back then too.

Upscaling is not as terrible as it once was, ten years ago it was kind of meh.

True! I still remember it very well :)

Ertew

Hey, 10 years passed. What do You think about re-rendering Av1 in 4k for Av1+Av2+Av3 movie marathon or 4k collectors pack? I think this is possible without much effort. Fox/Disney can do that, just need financial reason.
Yes I know we can't compress terabytes of raw data that was used in postproduction but just the rendering process have to be much easier and faster than 10 years ago. Modern consumer-grade graphic card can easily beat professional graphic card from years ago.
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

archaic

Avatar was produced in a 2K form, specifically 2048x1152 - which is compliant with the DCI Specification.
Some portions are live action, and were filmed on two Sony CineAlta HDC-F950 cameras at 1920x1080.
I'm not sure what resolution the CGI portions were rendered at. My guess is that not all of it was rendered at the same resolution.
I know that I would have had the out of focus back grounds rendered at lower resolutions and composited them together in post production, reducing render time/costs.

Today, 8K cameras are readily available (if not actually cheap) and the number of 4K projectors in movie theaters is increasing. So I expect Avatar2 will probably be 4K, blu-ray editions will be released at 4K, I'd expect 4K Avatar1 blu-ray's to be available around the same time.

However, I'd expect them to be upscaled from 2K, not rerendered - Mind you, I'd be delighted if I was wrong about that.

Txon_uk

If someone want i have an upgraded version of Avatar, UHD HDR, send private message.
Someone on Reddit shared me the link, i have to share it to to the biggest avatar community :)

Toliman