Which deleted scenes should have made it into the final cut? *Spoilers*

Started by 'Tsamsiyu, January 03, 2011, 02:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Tsamsiyu

Well this will only apply to people have watched the 60minute+ collection of deleted scenes on the Extended Collector's Edition but anyway...

If, like me, you felt that if certain scenes had been left in, it would have added to the overall experience. There are so many in my opinion, such as all of the ones where we see Norm's character develop and ones where we learn more about the Na'vi culture, such as the Hunting Afterparty and the Uniltaron.

But the one that stood out for me was the part just before Jake enters his Avatar to go to the Dreamhunt. He tells Grace and Norm about why he was sent here and about how he has been feeding Quaritch information about the Na'vi. I found this scene pretty tear-jerking (which is rare for me!) as you gain real insight into how Jake feels about Neytiri and that he already knows he loves her as the only that is stopping him from refusing to work for Quaritch undercover is that he won't be able to see her. Sam is on the brink of crying in this scene and it had a profound effect of me, I would have loved to have seen this in 3D in the cinema.

Anyway... choose your scene/scenes!

'Ivong Na'vi ulte Eywa ngahu!

Tsamsiyu oe lu. Ngeyä krr lu hasey.

'There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much' - Dr. Grace Augustine

'I dreamt I was a Warrior that could bring peace... sooner or later though... you always have to wake up...'

GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Sіr. Ηaxalot

The Afterparty and Uniltaron is my favorite scenes too. I think that those are important and should have been left in. The worst is that I suspect thet they were left out because Cameron didn't want to show us the "less perfect" side of the Na'vi..

'Tsamsiyu

I doubt that Cameron really felt that, I'm sure he'd rather his audience see everyone for what they really are. Probably because the film was pretty long anyways, but there were a lot of really short scenes that could have been implemented that would have added to it.

Having said that, the film is still incredible.

I'm not complaining at all by the way, it's just good to see what people think! :D

'There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much' - Dr. Grace Augustine

'I dreamt I was a Warrior that could bring peace... sooner or later though... you always have to wake up...'

GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

'Oma Tirea

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

'Tsamsiyu

Yeah thats my bad, only came back to this forum yesterday after a long while.

'Oma Tirea

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Txantslusam Skxawng

WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

'Tsamsiyu

Yeah I loved the dreamhunt, the hunt festival was also a massive insight into the Na'vi culture, that would have been good too. But I believe there is another topic that was made before this one, so post your ideas in there instead of clogging up the forums. Thank you for the input though :)

Eywa ngahu

DJ Makto

Ditto on the dreamhunt and hunting afterparty, though I personally think that Pandora rules and the eye of Eywa scenes would have made nice additions to the final cut.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Kunsìp Makto on January 08, 2011, 08:36:52 PM
I personally think that Pandora rules and the eye of Eywa scenes would have made nice additions to the final cut.
Agreed. Pandora rules was one of the good ones.

The eye of Eywa...that was probably one of my favorites. I can't even begin to imagine it finished...
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Human No More

The avatars attacking Hell's Gate, the dreamhunt and the hunt festival, definitely :)
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

'Tsamsiyu

Oh yeah, forgot about some of those...

Also the scene where Quaritch takes control and threatens Selfridge, that would have explained what happened to him.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: 'Tsamsiyu on January 10, 2011, 12:46:54 PM
Also the scene where Quaritch takes control and threatens Selfridge, that would have explained what happened to him.

Especially if fko hasn't seen the script yet ;)

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

archaic

I might make my self unpopular, but .....

As a fan I love seeing more avatar, however the only 2 scenes I felt really should have made it into the original cut are the avatar attack on Hell's Gate, and Selfridge telling Grace to pack up. Imho, nothing else was needed for the story, or would have helped the flow of the movie. Given that the original release was two hours forty two minutes, I can easily understand why they were edited out.

Over all, with those two exceptions, I fully support Cameron's judgment on the no doubt tough choices, of what to leave in, and what to leave out. What we ended up with is, I feel, a long yet tight movie, jam packed with the essentials, that's part of why I loved it.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

nawma skxawng

all of the deleted scenes...
...wait, awesome idea; we, the fans, should contact 20th centurytm, and request to finish the deleted scenes ourselves, it would save them money, and get us what we want, win-win!!

[url=http://j.mp/USEastLN][img]http://j.mp/e2FA8X[/img][/url]

'Awvea ultxari ohengeyä, nawma sa'nok lrrtok siveiyi

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: archaic on January 12, 2011, 07:07:49 AM
I might make my self unpopular, but .....

As a fan I love seeing more avatar, however the only 2 scenes I felt really should have made it into the original cut are the avatar attack on Hell's Gate, and Selfridge telling Grace to pack up. Imho, nothing else was needed for the story, or would have helped the flow of the movie. Given that the original release was two hours forty two minutes, I can easily understand why they were edited out.

Over all, with those two exceptions, I fully support Cameron's judgment on the no doubt tough choices, of what to leave in, and what to leave out. What we ended up with is, I feel, a long yet tight movie, jam packed with the essentials, that's part of why I loved it.

I understand your point, and I believe it makes very much sense. :) I also think the movie was okay the way it was, and that only a limited number of other scenes should/could have been added to the original theatrical version. According to me, though, almost all of the deleted scenes are relevant to the people who want to learn more about the Na'vi or who wish to know more of the story.

'Tsamsiyu

Yeah, there were very little, if any, deleted scenes that wouldn't have explained or added to the original film.

But having said that, I do agree with Archaic about the film being good enough already.

Ikran Eyktan

I do want everyone here to know that there is a reason why many of those scenes were not finished, and did not make it into the feature.  The extras in the Special Edition Re-release cost millions (that's millions, not million) to shoot, and finally render.  Also, the film itself was really reaching the limit of a practical playback length, as it would barely fit onto IMAX platters safely at its current length.  If you compare the special and extended edition to the original theatrical version, you will notice that they actually (very) slightly sped up the end credits to save on time for the extra credits and total playback time as it was that crucial.  If they would have went much further, for 15/70mm IMAX, the film would have needed an intermission for changeover, or would have been stuck entirely on Digital 3D.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Ikran Eyktan on January 16, 2011, 01:13:36 PM
I do want everyone here to know that there is a reason why many of those scenes were not finished, and did not make it into the feature.  The extras in the Special Edition Re-release cost millions (that's millions, not million) to shoot, and finally render.  Also, the film itself was really reaching the limit of a practical playback length, as it would barely fit onto IMAX platters safely at its current length.  If you compare the special and extended edition to the original theatrical version, you will notice that they actually (very) slightly sped up the end credits to save on time for the extra credits and total playback time as it was that crucial.  If they would have went much further, for 15/70mm IMAX, the film would have needed an intermission for changeover, or would have been stuck entirely on Digital 3D.

I didn't know that! :o Very interesting. It all makes sense!

ExLibrisMortis

IMO, the re-release version is how the movie should have been in the first place, and how it should be now. Everything else other than what was in the re-release is just extra fluff, most of it rather unneeded. But the motif and atmosphere of the re-release is what should have been conveyed the first time.