Whoa - MAJOR mistake nobody is noticing.

Started by Zhowìntll, January 27, 2010, 12:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 27, 2010, 06:13:37 PM
That he could move his avatar on his own is a bit of a stretch though.  Can you imagine how much avatars weigh?  I mean the ideal weight for a 8 foot human male would be something like 350 lbs...  Na'vi have another foot or two on top of that...

Well remember that there is also less gravity and it is possible that norm, being a scientist, made super steroids from pandoran plants. Ok maybe not the second part but still he could be the reincarnation of The Incredible hulk. Ok not that either but still he might have been an ex-WWE wrestler. That one might be true you never know.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

omängum fra'uti

There is 80% gravity on Pandora.  Hardly enough less to account for the 50% taller Na'vi are.  And remember double the dimensions of something and you increase it's mass by 8 times.  If you assume a 6 foot person would weigh around 170lbs, then a 9 foot person would be around 900-1000lbs.  80% of that is still 720-800lbs.  Norm has been on Pandora for a few months and since he's not badass like Quaritch he'll have gone soft, so how much he could carry would likely be less as well.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

I suppose this bring up the question; What are Na'vi really made of? Do we know exactly how light or heavy one would be?

Seze

That he could move his avatar on his own is a bit of a stretch though.  Can you imagine how much avatars weigh?  I mean the ideal weight for a 8 foot human male would be something like 350 lbs...  Na'vi have another foot or two on top of that...

Rescuing doesn't have to mean moving.  For all we know he could have gone after his Avatar to try to save its life, by treating the gun shot wound.

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Txontaw

Quote from: Seze on January 27, 2010, 07:16:29 PM

Rescuing doesn't have to mean moving.  For all we know he could have gone after his Avatar to try to save its life, by treating the gun shot wound.

That would be kind of weird, treating a giant blue version of yourself for a gunshot wound.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Txontaw on January 27, 2010, 08:18:01 PM
That would be kind of weird, treating a giant blue version of yourself for a gunshot wound.
I was thinking about that the other day...  What happens right after the credits start?  Jake stands up and for the first time sees his human body from his avatar eyes.  Would he have flashbacks to his brother's funeral, given that they look alike?

Txontaw

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 27, 2010, 08:21:24 PM
Quote from: Txontaw on January 27, 2010, 08:18:01 PM
I was thinking about that the other day...  What happens right after the credits start?  Jake stands up and for the first time sees his human body from his avatar eyes.  Would he have flashbacks to his brother's funeral, given that they look alike?

And what would they do with it? Would they give it the same burial that they gave the other dead Na'vi?

Which leads me to another question; when the drivers come out of the link pods, do their Avatars stop breathing? If so, how do they avoid decomposition? Because after Hometree was burnt down, and Jake went into his Avatar, he kind of coughed/gasped, as if he just started breathing again.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Txontaw on January 27, 2010, 08:24:14 PM
Which leads me to another question; when the drivers come out of the link pods, do their Avatars stop breathing? If so, how do they avoid decomposition? Because after Hometree was burnt down, and Jake went into his Avatar, he kind of coughed/gasped, as if he just started breathing again.
And if a driver doesn't link up to their avatar for a few days, does the avatar die from malnutrition or whatever else?  Do they need to eat twice every day, once as their avatar and once as themselves?

The hometree bit is easy enough to explain though...  There was probably ash somewhere settled on him that he inhaled as soon as his voluntary control took over, and so the cough was his reaction, not the avatar's.

Txontaw

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 27, 2010, 08:27:50 PM
Quote from: Txontaw on January 27, 2010, 08:24:14 PM
And if a driver doesn't link up to their avatar for a few days, does the avatar die from malnutrition or whatever else?  Do they need to eat twice every day, once as their avatar and once as themselves?

The hometree bit is easy enough to explain though...  There was probably ash somewhere settled on him that he inhaled as soon as his voluntary control took over, and so the cough was his reaction, not the avatar's.

That's a good question. Although, perhaps they go into hibernation mode, so only if the avatar was already starving, would it actually die when he's not connected.

kintìomum

The Avatars are still equipped with a vegetative nervous system that controls the main body functions like breathing, pulse and such. So if the driver isn't inside his Avatar it is effectively sleeping... Kinda long and very deep sleep since you can't wake an Avatar up by shaking or such. There's enough "spirit" inside that it doesn't die outright but nothing to wake the Avatar up and have it take care for itself.
Would be somewhat creepy if you went inside the Avatar and had no idea if it's hunting it's next meal at the moment...
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

Tirea Pa'li

The original idea was that avatars were living on their own and the avatar driver was just jakin the nervous system. There was even a planed scene whit jake and his avatar talking and getting to know each other.
They didnt think it all that well when they decided to change avatars to be unconcious on their own.
From all the weapons you have used against us, we always feared your guns least!

Technowraith

Quote from: kintìomum on January 27, 2010, 11:44:16 PM
The Avatars are still equipped with a vegetative nervous system that controls the main body functions like breathing, pulse and such. So if the driver isn't inside his Avatar it is effectively sleeping... Kinda long and very deep sleep since you can't wake an Avatar up by shaking or such. There's enough "spirit" inside that it doesn't die outright but nothing to wake the Avatar up and have it take care for itself.
Would be somewhat creepy if you went inside the Avatar and had no idea if it's hunting it's next meal at the moment...

Hence the reason why it easiest to come out of link when everyone else is asleep. To the natives, your avatar is sleeping like one of them. Makes the most sense really. Generally when the Avatar is active, you eat, drink, and do all that live life jazz so while doing that, you take care of your avatar's basic needs. When you come out of link, you take care of yourself. Which is why Grace always had to forcefeed Jake constantly.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

kintìomum

Regarding the quality of the food no wonder at all :-\

L4Isoside

Quote from: Technowraith on January 27, 2010, 05:28:21 PM

Quaritch entered the portable lab when they were stationed at Site 26, the Hallelujah Mountains. He wasn't at the lab at the Tree of Souls until the final fight at the end of the movie.

True, but you'd have thought he would have gone to the same pod as he was in last time.

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

Another thing that I noticed when watching the movie...

The gunships, according to dialogue in the movie, have no navigation system function in the Hallelujah Mountains. So it would logically follow that they would also not have weapons systems online as well, correct?

It seemed to me that the missile Quartich ordered launched at Trudy that killed her homed in on her aircraft. If they did not have high-tech weapons systems online, how does a missile, that apparently requires input from the gunship, home in on an object?
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

Txontaw

Quote from: Tukru Tsamsiyu on January 28, 2010, 06:22:52 PM

The gunships, according to dialogue in the movie, have no navigation system function in the Hallelujah Mountains. So it would logically follow that they would also not have weapons systems online as well, correct?

It seemed to me that the missile Quartich ordered launched at Trudy that killed her homed in on her aircraft. If they did not have high-tech weapons systems online, how does a missile, that apparently requires input from the gunship, home in on an object?

Ever heard of heat-seeking missiles?

Zhowìntll

Quote from: Kametu on January 27, 2010, 01:14:20 AM
There was a shot of norm leaving the facility with both a mask and a gun.  No doubt it made it easier to write the final scene without worrying about getting Norm mixed in, also makes it more touching.  But it there is no mistake here.

What?!  If what you're saying is true, then I obviously missed the boat on this one.  I don't recall seeing Norm until the end, when he is (in human form) helping gaurd the captives on their way out.

Appearantly, different countries have slightly different cuts.  Did you see the U.S.A. version?

Irayo

kintìomum

I thought about the problem of missile guidance in the german part of the forum so, with some translation done:

Some more thoughts  (sorry for the digression but I love wrapping my mind around guided weapon control systems):
If the magnetic field* in the Flux really is as strong as I think -err, floating MOUNTAINS?!- then it's enough if the control electronics are moving inside the field for important parts to just black out.
Why, you ask? Well, every conductor moving inside a magnetic field (no matter how small the conductor and how weak the field) is subject to a change in it's electrical potential. And every potential difference in a conductor results in a current.
So either the electronics aren't able to work against the induced potential difference (the better part) and signals just "starve" on their way or there is so much potential difference induced that the resulting current boils the conductor away (current always heats the conductor, see your coffee machine, toaster, water boiler...). The result in the second case would be the same anyway: no stering signals and so no change in flight path.
Well, even today most missiles (and every drop weapon, say: bomb) -no matter how high-tech the actual detonator- are equipped with simple mechanical impact primers (perhaps to get "on the safe side") and the engine is in most cases some simple and sturdy mechanism that -once ignited- burns till the fuel is out.
This would match the seen behavior of the guided missiles: they start, are able to adjust their flight for a short time and then the electronic is cooked and the missile goes head-on into the next solid object.
Now there's the question why the diversity of flying things work inside the flux and don't go the rocket's way. Relativly easy: it's possible to shield stuff against magnetic influence if you're willing to spent space and weight on the necessary auxiliaries and shieldings. Well, on missiles there is exactly two things they shall do: home in on the target and blast it out of the air with as much kxangangang (here's the obligatory Na'vi) as possible! Both doesn't match well with shieldings, what is a different thing for Scorpions, Samsons, the Dragon and Valkyries.

*field strength for Unobtanium is stated to be up to a million Tesla (see ASG), as comparison the strongest continous magnetic field we're now able to create on Earth: link!. Really cute with 45 Tesla...

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

Quote from: Txontaw on January 28, 2010, 06:28:58 PM

Yes, I'm very aware of heat-seeking missiles, but it seemed that they missile fired at Trudy were the same time that Quaritch's gunships fired on the Hometree, which seemed to require targeting data from the gunship.
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: Tukru Tsamsiyu on January 29, 2010, 12:45:08 PM
Quote from: Txontaw on January 28, 2010, 06:28:58 PM

Yes, I'm very aware of heat-seeking missiles, but it seemed that they missile fired at Trudy were the same time that Quaritch's gunships fired on the Hometree, which seemed to require targeting data from the gunship.

They could be manually controlled.