Why did you become a fan?

Started by Tirealì'u, December 24, 2009, 01:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toruk Makto

A part of me will always live there, although I am now in Houston.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Atanä mungeyu

well I've lived in California for 2 years when i was small.. so i can't remember >_<
people also seem to be surprised when i tell I'm half french XD
eywa ayngahu,
unilyu
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

nederlandse pocket guide door mij en txura tirea.

Aziza

Quote from: Txepäsiyu on December 28, 2009, 01:15:01 AM
Quote from: Novelistgirl on December 26, 2009, 04:31:07 AM
In some ways, the Na'vi way of life and their respect for their Great Mother reminds me of the Wicca religion. I don't know if anyone here is familiar with it. I bought a book on it a few months ago, and it's fascinating. I'm not a wiccan and don't plan on becoming one, it demands too much time. But I like their way of thinking. The way they think everything in nature is sacred, the way they think men can communicate with the forces of nature. It's basically what the Na'vi do every day.

That's a good point. Neytiri said that the Great Mother [Eywa] does not take sides, but acts to preserve the balance of life, which also sounds very Wicca. The difference as I see it though, is that almost all human religions and spiritual paradigms, including Wicca, depend on faith that communion with the deity is indeed occurring. Faith being defined as "belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence". The Na'vi can actually connect to the network of energy that is the presence of Eywa on their world. That would seem to make faith unnecessary for them. That has me pondering whether Eywa should really be called a "deity" at all, since some definitions of the term include the word "supernatural". On Pandora, Eywa is very much "natural". As for material evidence, the response of Eywa against the humans that were trying to destroy the Tree of Souls satisfies that nicely.

Thats a good point that you both make,
i honestly do not know anything about wicca, but i will be educating myself in that shortly :P

how ever i would like to comment on one thing:

"Neytiri said that the Great Mother [Eywa] does not take sides, but acts to preserve the balance of life, which also sounds very Wicca."

while it is true that neytiri said this; i believe that that neytiti also learned something from the main character, jake(as he was praying to eywa)

eywa may control the balance of life and energy, but she also is able to hear prayers and understand prayers.

which im sure many agree, that eywa is much more then a tree with a complex root system.
i mean dont us humans believe and expect the same from our god? even with out scientific or materialistic proof?

i believe  that the god in which most humans find faith in; controls the balance of life, hears our prayers, and even portects thoes with kind "energy" rather then an evil heart.

the first thing i thought of when avatar ended; was that it might be the exact same being that the Na'vi believe in , as us humans believe in(as our god)

thanks for your link fire master :)
i learned alot

p.s.
sorry for my bad english lol

Aziza

I'm a fan, simply because i like the simplicity of life that the Na'vi have.

i shouldnt get hooked on a movie, with all honesty, im not a movie person.

but for what ever reason, (as jake sully said) "things seem backwards now, as if out there was real, and here was te dream" lol

im putting alot of effort in to learn the launguage.

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: Txepsiyu on January 20, 2010, 11:35:57 AM
 Well, if you take away the exozoology and the giant flora from the low gravity, Pandora looks a lot like the cloud forests in Costa Rica, where I have spent a lot of time in the past. Huge trees and life everywhere you look.

With all respect to the imagined environment of Pandora, Earth is already a beautiful place. We just need to make sure we DON'T ruin it.

QFT. Earth is a wonderfull planet with so many ecosystems each with interesting flora and fauna. It's just that we humans, especially in the "civilized" world started to segregate ourselfs from nature. Look at our cities: Every free space has been sealed by concrete walls. The parks inbetween are no match to the great feeling if you actually end up in the wilderness for some reason.

But we're raised in a constant mood of us vs. nature. Which is sad. Personally I ended up quite lucky. My mother did her best to teach me a deep respect for all living things early on. The key word is respect. It was not some esoterical, tree hugger mojo, but just the bare truth. We're part of the nature and every mistreatment of nature is actually a mistreatment of ourself.

For me the best example for this is, ironically, the secondmost worst nuclear desaster so far: Chernobyl. The off limits zone there is mostly uninhabitable for humans for the next centuries. But nature is actually thriving there. This is by no means a justification for nuclear desaster, I just wanted to point out, that we did the most damage to us.

There's often this talk about challanging worldwide tasks that could unite humanity. How about this: Clean up the mess we produced for the last 150 years, build a sustaning renewable energy infrastructure and for the sake of everything stop wasting our time and resources on short lived gadgets/trends/etc. This is by no way against technology. In fact I think our only way out of this mess is further development and refinement of technology. For example I'm thinking about solar powered pyrolysis to crack up toxic waste and regain the valueable materials therein. We should collect all the nuclear waste we produced so far and render it mostly inert, which can be done by targeting it with large doses of high energy proton beams. But for that a lot of energy is required, which however could be cheaply obtained from solar power with already existing and proofed technology. But there are also seemingly simple tasks, like cleaning plastic waste from the oceans, there's already more fine grained plastics than plankton swimming out there - maybe we should just genetically engineer bacteria capable of breaking the polymers. There's already a fungus capable of breaking down polycarbonate.

The irony is: The worst that we can do to nature is rendering it unsustainable for us. Then we vanish and the planet recovers over time.

Did Avatar change anything for me. No I felt this way for a long time.

If there was a Pandora and the possibility to go there, maybe even including an Avatar, would I go there. On the spot. Living as a Na'vi. Not for me please. But researching the planet, learning the culture, hell yes. Of course the very same is still possible here on Earth, but you're facing the problem, that so many habitats get destroyed by the minute, that's really depessing.

Why I really like avatar: For one ting it's a wonderful parabel to what we're doing right now, with ethnic minorites living in areas having valuable minerals. Take coltan for example. We need it for making the capacitors used in almost every modern electronics device. It's mined under inhuman conditions, there are actually wars about it in Africa. Due to the inflation of mobile technology, a new generation of cell phones each half year this is one of the most profitable minerals right now. And on every so called Tantal Capacitor you buy today there's blood.

And then there's this huge imaginative power behind it. And I don't just mean the script and idea of JC, but also of all the artists and science advisors, who did a great job. The ISVs are the most plausible space ship design seen in a movie so far. At first I was a bit sceptical about the Antimatter-/Fusion propulsion concept. Until I found this paper:
http://www.engr.psu.edu/antimatter/Papers/AIMStar_99.pdf

Last but not least it has a great story. It's neither simple nor flat. There's a huge amount of subtext for all the characters. E.g. watching the movie for the second time, not having read the scripts yet, I had the impression that there was chemistry between Norm and Trudy. Only to be confirmed later when reading the script.

[EDIT] fixed a meaning chaning typo

Eyamsiyu

I was taught to go to school and get a job.  I'm still in that process, but I debate whether or not finishing college is really ideal.  I mean, Becoming a touring musician doesn't require a degree in music at all: just skill and luck.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Neytiri lu sevin

Hi guys !!  :D

I actually became a fan of avatar because the first time i saw the movie i was like : OMG the human is realy the worst thing on earth!

if i could go live on pandora i would leave tomorrow morning  ;D

now i am going for my 7th sreening next tuesday  ;D this movie is so good its the best movie that i've seen since a long time :D

it make me realize that the human haven't created something who realy is useful  :o

now im trying to learn the na'vi language and i found that awesome forum in my seach of "trying to live like on pandora" :D

i think that Avatar is the thing that made me realised the most things in my live  :o

so thats it that's why i became a fan of Avatar  ;D

and also
Neytiri lu sevin  ;) that's a fact  :D

jasgor9

I became a fan because the movie was amazing. I went to see it in IMAX opening weekend and when I left the theater I thought to myself "Oh god I'm gonna end up seeing this like a million times...", and so I have ;D.

Kesìltsamsiyu

A couple reasons. Number one, I'm fascinated by the way worlds work, including the real one. A movie with a well put together universe is much more appealing to me than one with a unique storyline or with all the other things that the people who think Citizen Kane didn't suck like. Pandora is, in my opinion, by quite a large margin, the coolest fictional universe ever put together.

Number two is just one word, in large capital letters: IMMERSION
Phase I: IPTG -> GFP
Phase III: Avatar Botany

archaic

I went to see the film partly because I was curious to see what Cameron had blown 300 mil' on, but mostly I had 4 hours to kill.
I'd seen the trailer, it didn't appeal, and I'd seen and heard way too much hype.
I half expected an awful blend of fern gully, pocahontas and dances with wolves, but 4 hours is a long time to waste.
I was bored.
I was in the right palace to see it.
I had plenty of time to get into the 2D (3D was full).
So with pretty low expectations I went in.

I watch, WOWES! Master piece, as I walked out and noticed that every 3D showing that evening was already full I was gutted, I'd have to wait to see it again, in 3D. It was then that I started to suspect I was hooked.

Seen it 10 times, so far...

Damn you Cameron, what have you done to me!

edit
Now seen it 11 times, so far...
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Kìte'eyä Aungia

* Saw the trailer a few months before release. Figured it would be a plotless action movie with a bloated, ridiculous budget. I can enjoy something like that as long as it doesn't try to have a plot and fail or suffer from shaky camera syndrome or both (I'm looking at you Transformers and Die Hard 4).

* Went to see it opening weekend. Very critical immediately afterward. I thought the plot was archetypal, but obviously one that people are willing to see again and again, the acting was meh, the dialogue was cheesy at times but not quite as bad as some people have said, and obviously that the special effects were groundbreaking and the movie was great escapism/immersion.

* Read a bajillion articles about Avatar and its fans, watched the available making of material, watched various cast and crew interviews, etc.

* Went on /tv/ to argue with people on both sides. Since /tv/ is filled with trolls, the people attacking the movie far, far outnumbered those promoting it so I ended up spending most of my time defending the movie. I went and saw it another few times with various different groups of friends and family.

* One of my linguistics TAs apparently knows Frommer from somewhere and mentioned the Na'vi language in class. I'd never been interested in conlangs before, but Na'vi seemed pretty cool so I showed up here and never left.

* A few weeks ago I ran out of acquaintances to see Avatar with and ended up seeing it alone in IMAX (had only seen it in 3D before).

. . . and, I think that about sums it up.

Txantslusam Skxawng

Why I become and still am a fan?

Because of the language ! When I first saw Avatar, I was like. NEED.....TO....SEE....AGAIN...! And I did the week after that and also the week after that. I saw it 3 sundays in a row and 2 weeks later I saw it twice in one week and the week after that I saw it for my 6th and last time. But I had never of this site before, I even didnt know this language was in the movie ! I dont regret that I joined here.
I dont care what my friends think, cuz I love it here !

First time that I saw the movie, I also thought , THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER ! Im not so critical with movies, unless they suck ( real bad ) but I love Avatar, I even know what kind of coffin I want, one with Avatar on it, but thats like 70-80 years away, im 15. But when I was 12 I wanted to get 100 years old, then i could say that im antique.

LOL !
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

'Tsamsiyu

QuoteIt was not some esoterical, tree hugger mojo, but just the bare truth. We're part of the nature and every mistreatment of nature is actually a mistreatment of ourself.

It annoys me so much when people think Avatar is just some 'Hidden message about how we are all going to die' and how it is 'some tree hugger protest'. Like you said before, it is actually the bare truth.
Tsamsiyu oe lu. Ngeyä krr lu hasey.

'There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much' - Dr. Grace Augustine

'I dreamt I was a Warrior that could bring peace... sooner or later though... you always have to wake up...'

GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Rikxyu

Yeah, a lot of times, it would be nice if most people could just enjoy a work of art without a lot of criticism. It just human nature, I guess. How ironic.
The All Things Avatar Podcast has an episode 3 now! Download it here: http://radioavatar.podomatic.com/

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." ~Abraham Lincoln
Just look at what happened to Quaritch...

Tsa'räni

Nah, despite what some would have you believe, it would be pretty hard for us to wipe ourselves out totally.  We could certainly do it if we tried, but I don't think anyone feels humans, as a whole, want to wipe out our entire species.  It's probably going to take catastrophic natural disaster to do it, so take your pick - asteroid/comet, Siberian Traps waking up again, gamma ray burst, etc.

archaic

Yeah, but I do feel that 'civilization' is now so screwed up, that we will inevitably wipe our selves out, one way or another.

That sounds really depressing now I've said it.

Now seen it 12 times.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: Tsa'räni on March 09, 2010, 04:56:43 AM
Nah, despite what some would have you believe, it would be pretty hard for us to wipe ourselves out totally.  We could certainly do it if we tried, but I don't think anyone feels humans, as a whole, want to wipe out our entire species.
Well at least a few want by ceasing to reproduce: http://www.vhemt.org/

Kìte'eyä Aungia

Quote from: archaic on March 09, 2010, 05:10:24 AM
Yeah, but I do feel that 'civilization' is now so screwed up, that we will inevitably wipe our selves out, one way or another.

That sounds really depressing now I've said it.

A lot of people here feel that way, but I think there's reason to be optimistic.

Quote from: Kìte'eyä Aungia on January 28, 2010, 10:33:22 PM
In recent history, in virtually every country in the world, incidence of war has been on the decline, poverty has been decreasing, life expectancies have been increasing, and child survival rates have been increasing. The two greatest threats to our species at the moment are nuclear war and catastrophic climate change. These are problems, but we are seeing more and more work being put into research and conservation efforts all the time. The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists recently turned back the doomsday clock for the first time in 20 years. Not everything is perfect, the positive changes I mentioned above are strongly linked to increasing usage of fossil fuels, but I think there's reason to expect a bright future.

Jake_Sully_1

Boy, where DO you keep all the goodies such as threads like this one hidden? ;)
This thread is so good I vote for making it a sticky! :)
I think it sums up the most important aspects of Avatar and our fandom!

I would not have expected to find a thread with so many really intelligent (= philosophical) and cool posts! A lot of people have made some really great posts here. Very cool!

Why have I become an Avatar fan?
Because of the messages of Avatar.

I will put everything else in Spoiler tags, it'd be page-filling otherwise. ;)

Best regards to all here,
Mark

Hufwe Tsamsiyu:

Txepsiyu:

Novelistgirl:

Pxi-Swizaw:

MOUNTAINBANSHEE:

fkeua vrrtep:

Atanä mungeyu:

Kerame Pxel Nume:

Neytiri lu sevin:

Kerame Pxel Nume: