Why did you become a fan?

Started by Tirealì'u, December 24, 2009, 01:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: MOUNTAINBANSHEE on December 26, 2009, 03:34:28 PM
Quote from: Au'ekong on December 26, 2009, 08:40:18 AM
Wow.  You probably explained the reason for at least half of the people here right with that paragraph.  And with that, yeah, I wouldn't mind at all becoming a Na'vi.  One problem I have, though: No more iPod and "modern music." ;)

Well, you don't need ipods, laptops, or even electricity. How do you think the na'vi have fun? how do you think the cavemen or the people earlyer in history had fun? They just went out and looked for it. Payed attention to your suroundings. Like in the siene where there were those viper wolve cubs!

Eywa Ngahu

To a musician like myself, giving up my iPod is basically a form of emotional/mental suicide.  And with that, I will admit that music is almost an addiction to me.

However, like all addictions, one learns to move on, as would I.  And yeah, dude, I imagine things like that would be a lot more fun than music.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Maweya tirea

Quote from: Txepyä Siyu on December 26, 2009, 03:54:08 AM
Yes, those are in the movie, but I am talking about the concept of an entire world without the stress and violence that is created by overpopulation, fear and ignorance that so characterizes the mess of our own world.

[/quote]

Good point. I wish Humans had the same state of mind as the Na'vi. Several things, which you stated, are playing against us. Overpopulation being one of them. As strange as it sounds, and I can't really explain it, overpopulation is one of the things that scare me the most nowadays. It's stressful and it increases tenfold the view you have of the world and its problems.

In some ways, the Na'vi way of life and their respect for their Great Mother reminds me of the Wicca religion. I don't know if anyone here is familiar with it. I bought a book on it a few months ago, and it's fascinating. I'm not a wiccan and don't plan on becoming one, it demands too much time. But I like their way of thinking. The way they think everything in nature is sacred, the way they think men can communicate with the forces of nature. It's basically what the Na'vi do every day.

[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about overpopulation because it only exists inside countries. The entire population of the planet(yes the whole planet) can fit inside the state of florida about 2 1/2 times. If we can ever get rid of the whole "this is our land and you can't live here even thought there is plenty of room." greed for land, we could all breathe a bit easier.
God síltsan lu!!!!!

JamesCameronOnline.com

Of the Navi culture? In a pill: the culture and the visual designs are fascinating and really beautiful

Novelistgirl

Quote from: Maweya tirea on December 27, 2009, 12:19:15 AM

Quote from: Txepyä Siyu on December 26, 2009, 03:54:08 AM
Yes, those are in the movie, but I am talking about the concept of an entire world without the stress and violence that is created by overpopulation, fear and ignorance that so characterizes the mess of our own world.

Good point. I wish Humans had the same state of mind as the Na'vi. Several things, which you stated, are playing against us. Overpopulation being one of them. As strange as it sounds, and I can't really explain it, overpopulation is one of the things that scare me the most nowadays. It's stressful and it increases tenfold the view you have of the world and its problems.
[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about overpopulation because it only exists inside countries. The entire population of the planet(yes the whole planet) can fit inside the state of florida about 2 1/2 times. If we can ever get rid of the whole "this is our land and you can't live here even thought there is plenty of room." greed for land, we could all breathe a bit easier.
[/quote]

I agree, our attitude, the attitude of the worldwide population could probably change the way I feel about overpopulation.
But the more the planet is overpopulated, the more we can see the problems of the planet and of our societies, because it's difficult for our governments to take care of this ever growing population.
And when too many people live too close to each other, a lot of problems appear. The resources are lacking (in poor countries), diseases multiply faster and farther, cities are not big enough for every one to have a decent place to live, etc... The list is long.
I don't know, maybe - just maybe - one of the reasons the Na'vi are at peace with each other is that they don't know and experience the problems we have.

MOUNTAINBANSHEE

It helps they only mate with one person!!! Humans these days mate with at least 2 or 3 OTHER HUMANS in there lifetimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eywa ngahu
join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Tirealì'u

Only two or three? :-P

Anyway, historically, humans were most likely polygamous, and monogamy is a relatively recent thing, largely created via social structures. I imagine many tribal societies have been poly.

Anywho, on another note: I wouldn't happily give up my desktop, laptop, smart phone, ebook reader, mp3 player, etc... :-P I'd hate to live without easy access to large amounts of artistic outlets: music, photos, literature, art, film, etc...

MaTe

*) I admire the tech they put into production of the movie. Having some game-development background around 03-05, I know how hard is to achieve that level of photo-realism(with 05 tech) so 300mil is cheap in my book.
*) I stumbled at this site and it's too freaky to pass on... 3k+ posts from 200+ users about and in a fictional language, one week after the movie is released... this is too hilarious... Klingon section? OMFG!
*) English is not my native, I have not learnt a new language in 10 years, and understanding NaVi makes me think with parts of my brain, not normally used.
*) There is no sci-fi or fantasy franchise that I care about and I liked the movie.
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Novelistgirl on December 26, 2009, 04:31:07 AM
In some ways, the Na'vi way of life and their respect for their Great Mother reminds me of the Wicca religion. I don't know if anyone here is familiar with it. I bought a book on it a few months ago, and it's fascinating. I'm not a wiccan and don't plan on becoming one, it demands too much time. But I like their way of thinking. The way they think everything in nature is sacred, the way they think men can communicate with the forces of nature. It's basically what the Na'vi do every day.

That's a good point. Neytiri said that the Great Mother [Eywa] does not take sides, but acts to preserve the balance of life, which also sounds very Wicca. The difference as I see it though, is that almost all human religions and spiritual paradigms, including Wicca, depend on faith that communion with the deity is indeed occurring. Faith being defined as "belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence". The Na'vi can actually connect to the network of energy that is the presence of Eywa on their world. That would seem to make faith unnecessary for them. That has me pondering whether Eywa should really be called a "deity" at all, since some definitions of the term include the word "supernatural". On Pandora, Eywa is very much "natural". As for material evidence, the response of Eywa against the humans that were trying to destroy the Tree of Souls satisfies that nicely.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Roiki on December 26, 2009, 03:24:11 PM
I don't think it's the state of mind that separates us from the Na'vi, since we don't have an actual bond with our surroundings, it's easier to disregard it. Most of us don't really think outside our own worlds which contain only the immediate surroundings and the people that we call friends and family, we don't care if some random kid gets blown to pieces by a landmine in a remote country. We just say "that's horrible" and go about our way. We're not connected so we don't care.
Also the state of Earth described in the film could well be the state our Earth is in a 100 years or less, though we are doing all sorts of political stuff to preserve our nature but for the wrong reasons, when resources deplete people usually turn on eachother, Easter Island is a good example what can happen.

"We're not connected so we don't care".  What a brilliant summary! Well said!

As to your second point, the sequence in the film of Jake at the Tree of Souls just before the big battle is possibly one of the scariest things I have ever seen and heard on film. Not horror film BOO scary, I mean this-might-just-happen scary.

Remember the dialog? "I may just be talking to a tree here, but if you're there, I need to give you a heads' up. If Grace is with you, look into her memories. See the world we come from. There's no green there. They killed their mother and they're gonna do the same here."

This is a human that has achieved an outsider's viewpoint on how humans destroyed their world. Sam Worthington's powerful delivery of those lines as a Na'vi through the enhanced CG motion capture of the film, should freeze the blood of anyone living on Earth. I am not ashamed to admit that I can't even think through that part without getting seriously emotional. It is a simple concept, but more important than most people can imagine.

Is.

Quote from: Tirealì'u on December 27, 2009, 08:08:54 PM
Anywho, on another note: I wouldn't happily give up my desktop, laptop, smart phone, ebook reader, mp3 player, etc... :-P I'd hate to live without easy access to large amounts of artistic outlets: music, photos, literature, art, film, etc...

Why do we have to choose between one or the other? Technology and nature are perfectly capable of co-existing harmoniously. The only thing standing in the way is pathological versions of human greed, hate, ignorance, envy, pride, etc. The Na'vi and the humans both have their pros and their cons, let's integrate both?  :)

Toruk Makto

Am I the only one already seeing their outlook on life changing from seeing this movie?  Trite sounding, I know. But never having had something punch me in the psyche like this, it has me really re-examining my own life and philosophies.

Maweya tirea

Quote from: Is. on December 28, 2009, 05:44:03 AM
Quote from: Tirealì'u on December 27, 2009, 08:08:54 PM

Why do we have to choose between one or the other? Technology and nature are perfectly capable of co-existing harmoniously. The only thing standing in the way is pathological versions of human greed, hate, ignorance, envy, pride, etc. The Na'vi and the humans both have their pros and their cons, let's integrate both?  :)

I agree. Technology can easily coexist with nature. It is the greed for money that has us destroying the rainforests to get production land put up and this is caused by the envy we get if someone has more money than us or is better off. (we meaning humans)
If we can stop the destruction of nature, people will still have places to live, grant it we might not have as much cow meat or some other product of these factories, but I am sure we can all live with a little less now a days.  ;)
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Dark angel

Quote from: Maweya tirea on December 28, 2009, 12:59:52 PM
If we can stop the destruction of nature, people will still have places to live, grant it we might not have as much cow meat or some other product of these factories, but I am sure we can all live with a little less now a days.  ;)

I agree on that - I live without cow meat for 22 years now...Alive and kicking!  ;D

Doolio

@topic:
well, i was pretty skeptic and i went to see the movie purely because friends made me do it:) i must admit that i am litterally allergic to 'hollywood blockbusterism' and all of its klischees and derivations. but damn, cameron can make even the biggest clischees not only plausible but really powerful and is definitely the master of emotional rollercoastering:) it is almost that you are a little bit ashamed because you find yourself susceptible to it, but you can't help it:) remember, we were all desperatelly sad when the machine plunged itself into molten metal:)

so, yes, the film bought me completely. what is interesting is that the words that define one's experience after seeing avatar are not something like 'awesome' or 'f.ing great', but rather 'beautiful', 'breathtaking' etc.
furthermore, i was probably more susceptible to it because of some personal reasons:)
i simply adore philosophy and it has been my hoby for over a decade. i personally like theories about different possible forms of branches of human evolution (evolvement of spiritual, mental, physic etc. factors, nietzsche, kant etc...), theories about universe mechanics (ouspensky for example) and so on, and so on. na'vi, pandora, and their corelation and their (chosen) evolutional path pushed 99% of my buttons instantly ;D

also, there is a more emotional, although more depressing factor...a certain woman that is probably (i must say 'probably' as a technicality because my life isn't over yet, but i think that i have enough experience to make a definite statement) the love of my life (sadly unreturned and 99% will never be) is so much like neytiri (in every way possible). yes, i know that probably now dozens of you are typing 'i know what you mean man' or something, but, no, you don't. it is really an unbelievable coincidence and an objective fact. in fact, all the people who know her have noticed that from neytiri's first scene in the movie without me mentioning it to them. i guess that is why this movie easily sucks me in and lets me float around tucked in my on self delusion...

also i am amazed at the quality of performance of na'vi actors, body language, expressions, portrayal of fear, anger, sadness, reactions...a perfect and magical mixture of african, north american and american natives, modern western people, and wild animals. the language itself is beautiful and you can see it is carefully crafted.
...taj rad...

MOUNTAINBANSHEE

I personaly think that tecknology has a grip over everyones life, DEFENLY ME! so if i live in the forest like the na'vi, i would be happy. Oh and one more thing, The sahara and the australian desurt were rainforests burnt down years ago. thy thing this will happen to the amazon!!! then what would happen? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: MOUNTAINBANSHEE on December 28, 2009, 07:17:15 PM
I personaly think that tecknology has a grip over everyones life, DEFENLY ME! so if i live in the forest like the na'vi, i would be happy. Oh and one more thing, The sahara and the australian desurt were rainforests burnt down years ago. thy thing this will happen to the amazon!!! then what would happen? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

We'd go off to an alien world to mine a rock worth millions by the kilo, only to get kicked off and sent back to our dying world.

As far as life changes, yeah, I notice some changes, but not much out of the ordinary.  I still use a LOT of technology, but I also have started to eat healthier (How does that work???). 

It also makes me think: "Why the **** did we let this happen to our planet?"

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Sa'vitri

I became a fan the moment that I saw the forest of Pandora.  I have never wanted to jump up on a movie screen and walk straight into a movie before like I did that day.  I was mesmirized by it and I love the simplicity of the Na'vi life and the fact that honor, family, community and courage are so highly valued.   Pandora is lush, plush, full of life and touchable.  I wanted to just stop the movie and sit in the middle of the forest. 
You have a strong heart....BUT STUPID LIKE A CHILD!

Tutee A-nawm

The first thing I thought when the lights turned on was "God.. I Gotta learn Na'vi, and I defiantly have to see it again, from back row" I had A lot of space for my legs, first row.. Hooray..

Both in 3D, I saw some trailers in 2D, and they weren't as good..

Is.

Quote from: Savitri on December 28, 2009, 08:57:08 PM
I wanted to just stop the movie and sit in the middle of the forest. 

Don't you have woodlands in your area? Being in the forest is one of the best things I know. Bioluminescence or not.

Ayoeng set na'rìngnene keiä!

(We don't know how to say "let's" yet, no? As in "Let's all go to the forest now!" Perhaps what I said just means "We all go to the forest now, yay!"  :()

Maweya tirea

Quote from: Au'ekong on December 28, 2009, 08:09:16 PM
Quote from: MOUNTAINBANSHEE on December 28, 2009, 07:17:15 PM

We'd go off to an alien world to mine a rock worth millions by the kilo, only to get kicked off and sent back to our dying world.

As far as life changes, yeah, I notice some changes, but not much out of the ordinary.  I still use a LOT of technology, but I also have started to eat healthier (How does that work???). 

It also makes me think: "Why the **** did we let this happen to our planet?"

I have started to eat healthier too. The only thing that gets me is how the movie is making me want to eat healthier. Almost as if in the scene where Dr. Grace throws Jake the fruit in the garden and he bites into it and you can just tell from his reaction that it is amazingly good, has made me realize how sweet and juicy our fruits are here on earth.
God síltsan lu!!!!!