Worst part of the movie

Started by Muzer, April 26, 2010, 02:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niwantaw

if i remember right the dragon isn't designed to get shot back at.

well look what a single grenade done to it.
Only mostly AWOL.

Häri

Quote from: Tawtute akawng on April 30, 2010, 09:04:45 PM
if i remember right the dragon isn't designed to get shot back at.

well look what a single grenade done to it.

I seem to recall the missile in the propeller doing the majority of the damage :P
Who needs these fancy Na'vi names when you can just write your normal one as a Na'vi would pronounce it? :D

Niwantaw

8 aimed missiles?
only 4 propeller sets ;)
Only mostly AWOL.

Kìte'eyä Aungia

Quote from: Col Quaritch on April 29, 2010, 03:30:00 PM
to be honest the killing of home tree was worst part for me. Now I know I have Quaritch as a user name but it dont mean Im a heartless bastage. He didnt even try to be humane about clearing them out
If you think about it, using the gas rounds was basically attacking the noncombatant women and children first. They didn't really wait for anyone to clear out, they just blinded everyone with gas and then lit their home on fire with them still inside and then blew it up. Also, did they really have to bring the tree down so that it would fall on the fleeing Na'vi? Salt in the wound, man.

Quote from: Kayrìlien on April 27, 2010, 11:08:32 PM
I actually really dislike the very last scene of the movie.
I liked it. Sure it was predictable (like anything that happened in Avatar wasn't), but it sort of had to happen, and I can't think of a better way to end the movie after the big battle. Also, we have the nice symbolism with Jake opening a single eye at the beginning of the movie and both eyes at the end.

Quote from: Muzer on April 26, 2010, 02:59:49 PM
The one line I hate the most is when they are looking at the video footage of Jake destroying the cameras. "Scale up... enhance". FFS! I would have thought this from lesser movies, but not from something like this! How many times to computer illiterates have to be told that you cannot magically gain quality out of nowhere. (Please don't suggest that the image is actually really high-quality but you have to specifically tell the computer to show you more quality once you've scaled up - that would be the worst, most ridiculous software in the world).
Obviously Quaritch was also a CSI before he came to Pandora.

Cameron is a special effects and camera expert, so I assume he knows that a computer can't pull pixels out of its ass. Maybe we're supposed to assume they used some sort of futuristic ray tracing or something to enhance the image . . . or maybe he just stuck it in there because the average moviegoer thinks this kind of thing can actually be done . . . yeah, that's probably it.  :'(

Niwantaw

i was just thinking but maybe it was taken in a high res and then brought down to a lower one on the monitor because then you would scale it up and then you could use just part of the image

aka maybe its a 4000x2000 pic on a 2000x1000 monitor which would mean when you scaled it up you will be able to have the same quality and be zoomed in

(and don't moan if this is complete garbage.. i'm only 15....)
Only mostly AWOL.

Kìte'eyä Aungia

I disliked some of the cheesy lines. It's like the script writers were tying to pack as much camp and cliche in as humanly possible. I can just imagine a conversation like this:

Alright, so we've already had Jake express how conflicted he is about five separate times, but the phrases he used, "What the hell are you doing, Jake?", "Everything is backwards now, like out there is the true world, and in here is the dream", etc. THEY'RE JUST NOT CLICHE ENOUGH!

Well, what if we had him say, ""I don't know who I am anymore" on top of all of that?

Genius.

Kìte'eyä Aungia

Quote from: Tawtute akawng on May 01, 2010, 08:36:26 AM
i was just thinking but maybe it was taken in a high res and then brought down to a lower one on the monitor because then you would scale it up and then you could use just part of the image

aka maybe its a 4000x2000 pic on a 2000x1000 monitor which would mean when you scaled it up you will be able to have the same quality and be zoomed in

Muzer's point was that if this is what is happening, the software probably wouldn't require 2 steps: scale + enhance.

Muzer

I think the idea of the "enhancement" actually getting it from other frames of the video was a good one, though it'd probably be quite difficult to do nowadays (but obviously this is the mid-22nd century). You could probably do face recognition and the same in the frames around it and combine the images to try to enhance the face in that single frame - if that makes any sense
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

Quote from: Tawtute akawng on May 01, 2010, 07:13:40 AM
8 aimed missiles?
only 4 propeller sets ;)

Yea, she had eight missile. Assuming she got into firing position on the Dragon, I really don't see how either other aircraft or Wainfleet in the back would have let her escape.
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

Col Quaritch

'Itan Atxur

This ^^^.

And to the person talking about cheesy lines: do normal people speak in perfect non cheesy lines all the time? No, they don't. I was actually really glad they added a bit of cheese to the script because too many movies and books nowadays all the characters either speak perfectly or constantly drop crazy one liners.

The "you ain't got no skills" line is a perfect example. Is it cheesy? Absolutely. Is it something you'd hear irl in friendly competition? Absolutely.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on May 08, 2010, 06:57:31 AM
This ^^^.

And to the person talking about cheesy lines: do normal people speak in perfect non cheesy lines all the time? No, they don't. I was actually really glad they added a bit of cheese to the script because too many movies and books nowadays all the characters either speak perfectly or constantly drop crazy one liners.

The "you ain't got no skills" line is a perfect example. Is it cheesy? Absolutely. Is it something you'd hear irl in friendly competition? Absolutely.

I also like how she followed up with "I don't even have to play defense on you!"  That dude just got dissed!

I think the worst part of the movie was what as not in it, to be honest.  The script itself was perfect back in 2007.  Stupid old-timer IMAX reels.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä}

i didn't have a bad part for this movie. except mabey the destruction of hometree. that was saddening. not bad, just saddening. this the first movie that has ever made me emotional...

old gallery link?id=2254[/img]

Swoka Ikran

Worst part for me was the credits coming on...

Beyond that the only other part that got me mad was the "scale up. Enhance." I watch CSI: a lot and have the same complaint there when they turn 3 pixels into a usable picture. Extra resolution doesn't come out of thin air folks.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Quote from: Autakuk 'Ekong on May 08, 2010, 12:47:39 PM
This ^^^.

I also like how she followed up with "I don't even have to play defense on you!"  That dude just got dissed!

I think the worst part of the movie was what as not in it, to be honest.  The script itself was perfect back in 2007.  Stupid old-timer IMAX reels.

It was the dude dissing the chick by saying "I don't even have to play defense on you". She tried a lay-up but epic failed.

LearnNavi Forums:

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Tukruyä Tsamsiyu on May 08, 2010, 02:31:30 PM
Quote from: Autakuk 'Ekong on May 08, 2010, 12:47:39 PM
This ^^^.

It was the dude dissing the chick by saying "I don't even have to play defense on you". She tried a lay-up but epic failed.

Nah, I'm pretty sure it's her who say it.  But whatever: it's not a huge part of the movie.

Another bad part: no epic drum solos!!! (haha, jk, that would have ruined the vibe).

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

'Itan Atxur

Lol. DRUM SOLOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

And yeah, I do believe it was the girl saying that but like others have said, it really doesn't matter. And I could be wrong.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

It definitely was the girl, I watch the sacred records of the holy relic at least once a day.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn on May 08, 2010, 06:44:51 PM
It definitely was the girl, I watch the sacred records of the holy relic at least once a day.

We know this as "Avatar," but I like your elaborate use of words to describe what it rightfully is.

Worst part of the movie: that girl missed the basket.  ;)

Quote from: Autakuk 'Ekong on May 08, 2010, 07:19:57 PM
Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn on May 08, 2010, 06:44:51 PM

We know this as "Avatar," but I like your elaborate use of words to describe what it rightfully is.

Worst part of the movie: that girl missed the basket.  ;)

After which the guy said: I don't even have to play defense  ;D

LearnNavi Forums: