You know when you've been watching AVATAR too much when...

Started by 'Oma Tirea, December 26, 2010, 11:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: Neyn'ite Ateyo on February 25, 2011, 08:18:47 PM
well, not in the 'real' sense of the word, ma nawma. it is a made-up language that was made for a movie. some people may have begun to teach themselves the language, but that doesn't make it a 'real' language, unfortunately :(

As a teacher of the language, I can say that Na'vi IS a real language. It may be constructed but it IS real. It has grammar rules, syntax rules, a vocabulary...all of which are constantly under development. Na'vi is a real language that one can learn and use for communication. Lì'fya leNa'vi lu lì'fya angay a tsun fko nivume sì sivar fte pivängkxo. [/offtopicness]

-Txonä Rolyu

PS In fact, Annis just made a 64-page document about the rules of Na'vi.

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Eyamsiyu

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Eyamsiyu on February 26, 2011, 07:17:20 AM
Quote from: Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan) on February 25, 2011, 11:32:44 PM
... you've seen it as many times as technowraith

HRH, srane, oe mllte.

Sran, although I highly doubt that's ever going to happen, especially considering his number of theater visits for the movie xD

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Tsteu nantang

When you no longer even notice when a video game's character's skin color is blue.
http://livenavi.forumotion.com/ HELP US OUT
Quote from: archaic
Plus she's hot, in a 'nine feet tall, skinny, blue, stripy, with a tail' kind of way.
old gallery link?id=2029[/img]

Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite

ma Txonä, I understand where you come from. but I think the definition of a real language would be one of a language that wasn't made up for a fictional movie, you know- one that is spoken regularly and that does have more than just a few hundred/thousand words.

however, out there, somewhere- there is a real language similar to Na'vi, I'm sure of it, being a believer of parallel universes. :D
old gallery link?id=2025[/img]

oel ayngati kameie, ma aysmukan sì aysmuke, Eywa ayngahu.
oeyä tsmukan, ma Nick, oeru ngaytxoa livu. nìmwey tsurokx. nga yawne lu oer.

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Neyn'ite Ateyo on February 27, 2011, 04:54:47 PM
ma Txonä, I understand where you come from. but I think the definition of a real language would be one of a language that wasn't made up for a fictional movie, you know- one that is spoken regularly and that does have more than just a few hundred/thousand words.

however, out there, somewhere- there is a real language similar to Na'vi, I'm sure of it, being a believer of parallel universes. :D

Na'vi is spoken more often than you think... and TBH, I agree with Txonä: Na'vi is a real language.  Just as real as Spanish or Japanese.  The only thing this language lacks is vocabulary, and all languages lacked vocabulary at some point. ;)

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

I'm sure it's spoken often; however, as much as I do respect and love Na'vi, it is, technically, not a 'real' language. ;)

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Neyn'ite Ateyo on February 27, 2011, 08:05:49 PM
I'm sure it's spoken often; however, as much as I do respect and love Na'vi, it is, technically, not a 'real' language. ;)

-.-

Anyway...

YKWYBWATLW your choice of snacking while watching the movie changes from Orville's popcorn to grandma's teylu.

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

Quote from: Neyn'ite Ateyo on February 27, 2011, 08:05:49 PM

define real language please... you will find that na'vi qualifies in all of the things you will mention.  the only difference is that it isn't old. 
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

Quote from: Eyamsiyu on February 27, 2011, 07:55:40 PM

Na'vi is spoken more often than you think... and TBH, I agree with Txonä: Na'vi is a real language.  Just as real as Spanish or Japanese.  The only thing this language lacks is vocabulary, and all languages lacked vocabulary at some point. ;)

Exactly. Just because it has a limited vocabulary doesn't make it a fake language at all. If you want a the definition of a language here are some straight from dictionary.com:

Just because Na'vi was created for a fictional movie does NOT mean it's not a real language. Every language has to have been created and new at some point. The amount of people who speak it is irrelevant.

Please excuse me if I come across as rude, I'm not trying to be. It's just that I feel a little insulted when someone says that Na'vi is not a real language especially since I teach it.

-Txonä Rolyu

PS we're getting way off topic here....

by all means, it qualifies as every 'definition' of what a language is; besides the fact that it is not identified as a real language among the United Nations, the presidents/kings/leaders, etcetera. I mean no disrespect or rudeness, I'm just speaking what is truth, ma tsmuk.

ToktorGrace

Tricky thing about this: there are a number of languages that are hundreds of years old that are going extinct due to the forces of globalization ect. Some languages have only a dozen or even fewer speakers left alive who are fluent in the language.

Another thing about "real" languages is that they are constantly evolving - and as seen with the lexical expansion project I'd say that given members of the community that speak the language are making their impression on its lexicon it definitely can give Na'vi the status of a real language even though it's true origins are "fake".
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

:( I truly didn't mean to insult anyone. I believe in this language and am as passionate about it as everyone here; I'm just trying to be logical. in truth, there are many different things that make a language 'real'. Na'vi follows some, not all. I, myself, would consider it an important, real language; however, in logical terms, it would not be. ngaytxoa, oel tslam frapo krrpe ngati oeyktìng; but, in the end, Na'vi is just a language created for a film. it is growing and being spoken and used almost as much as any other language out there, however, it is still a 'fictional' language. I mean no offense, ma tsmuk, I hope this does not give you reason to look down on me.

back on topic:
you've been bored enough to, word-by-word, speak a full scene of either English or Na'vi. (or you have broken out into Na'vi in front of others purposely to confuse them :P)

Tsteu nantang

Plus she's hot, in a 'nine feet tall, skinny, blue, stripy, with a tail' kind of way.

irayo nìtxan, ma Tsteu. in logical terminology, it is a fictional language. but a beautiful one at that, and one that means more to me to learn than an actual one.

Tsteu nantang

Quote from: Neyn'ite Ateyo on February 28, 2011, 08:51:40 PM
irayo nìtxan, ma Tsteu. in logical terminology, it is a fictional language. but a beautiful one at that, and one that means more to me to learn than an actual one.
Sorry I ment that I randomly break out into Na'vi in order to mess with my NARF's.  But I do believe that Na'vi is a real language and if developed further it could go on to do great things.

Quote from: Neyn'ite Ateyo on February 28, 2011, 03:54:23 PM
by all means, it qualifies as every 'definition' of what a language is; besides the fact that it is not identified as a real language among the United Nations, the presidents/kings/leaders, etcetera. I mean no disrespect or rudeness, I'm just speaking what is truth, ma tsmuk.

I didn't want to stay off topic, but I couldn't let this one go. Since when does a language have to be recognized by leaders of the world before it is a real language? How many/which leaders have to give it their seal of approval before it can become a "real language"? You just admitted yourself that it "qualifies as every definition of what a language is." Just because it's not the national language of a country on earth or recognized by world leaders doesn't mean it's fake!

Quote from: Neyn'ite Ateyo on February 28, 2011, 05:54:56 PM
ngaytxoa, oel tslam frapo krrpe ngati oeyktìng; but, in the end, Na'vi is just a language

Also, the Na'vi is incorrect here. It should be "ngaytxoa, oel tslam frapot krr a aynga oeyktìng."

Ok that's it I'm DONE posting about the language in this thread. I've said all I have to say.

-Txonä Rolyu

you don't have to get offensive, ma Txonä. since you know the language and teach the language, I understand how you feel about it. I didn't admit anything; I stated that it qualifies as MOST of the definitions of what a language is. and srane, I made mistakes in my Na'vi; I am a beginner, after all. :-\

I don't want to cause anyone else to gang up on me, so I'll just leave the topic alone... :(

ToktorGrace

Quote from: Neyn'ite Ateyo on March 01, 2011, 06:49:16 AM
you don't have to get offensive, ma Txonä. since you know the language and teach the language, I understand how you feel about it. I didn't admit anything; I stated that it qualifies as MOST of the definitions of what a language is. and srane, I made mistakes in my Na'vi; I am a beginner, after all. :-\

I don't want to cause anyone else to gang up on me, so I'll just leave the topic alone... :(

Everyone's just stating their POV and sharing their knowledge - not trying to attack! We are not faylulukan.  :D No need to feel that way.

-ON TOPIC-

When you have looked up the scientists who were involved in designing the biology/botany and debating whether emailing them would freak them out asking specific anatomical questions  8)

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Amaya

Quote from: Tìvawm'ia on March 01, 2011, 04:31:15 PM

When you have looked up the scientists who were involved in designing the biology/botany and debating whether emailing them would freak them out asking specific anatomical questions  8)

>.>  Um....if you ever do end up doing this I have questions too... ;) ;) ;D