You know when you've been watching AVATAR too much when...

Started by 'Oma Tirea, December 26, 2010, 11:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Technowraith

Quote from: archaic on April 21, 2011, 05:34:56 PM
Welcome back ma Techno!! Where have you been at?

I've been very busy lately. Real life is just full of twists and turns. Helped the neighborhood lobby the trash hauler to expand it's curbside recycling program to accept all major types of recyclables at the curb. So now everything gets put into the recycling bin. The rewards program is still in place, but with adding new recyclables, the weights have been increased. Our trash hauler weighs your bins. And the weight is recorded each week. When the weight hits a certain threshold, you get a gift card that's good at all participating businesses in the program. The gift card is $50 for 500lbs of recyclables. So one $50 giftcard a month is possible through this program at minimum. If you recycle more, you get a larger giftcard.

My mom steals recyclables from the neighbors bins to make our bins heavier.  ;D
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Technowraith on April 21, 2011, 12:48:49 AM
... You won $200 for reciting the script verbatim from memory, including the Na'vi to win a bet.
... You look at the willow tree out back and n ot feel proud that you crusaded dad not to chop it down, but made an agreement with mom and dad to make a tree of souls for halloween.
... You can load the dvd, and press the appropriate buttons on the remote to navigate through the disc menu to start the movie. All without turning on the tv.

... all of which will make you even more of a legend :o

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Inspirata on April 21, 2011, 10:46:38 PM
... You won $200 for reciting the script verbatim from memory, including the Na'vi to win a bet.
... You look at the willow tree out back and n ot feel proud that you crusaded dad not to chop it down, but made an agreement with mom and dad to make a tree of souls for halloween.
... You can load the dvd, and press the appropriate buttons on the remote to navigate through the disc menu to start the movie. All without turning on the tv.

... all of which will make you even more of a legend :o

Agreed. :O That's all very intense! :D

...when you regularly say a word or a phrase that is said by a character in Avatar in a random conversation, and each time you feel like continuing the quote (and sometimes even do it). :P

Swoka Ikran

I can do that. Managed to finally figure it out after about my 20th viewing (I could tell what it was doing by the noises of the player seeking). I rarely do this though anymore, since I now watch the standard version on my (disc-less) Wii.

As for reciting the script from memory...WOW :o I can only speak in sync with the characters when watching...
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

'Itan Atxur

I can get pretty far into the script almost perfectly... almost. I haven't even tried to do the entire script and I can't do the Na'vi between Dr. Augustine and Norm at the beginning.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on April 22, 2011, 06:38:52 PM
...I can't do the Na'vi between Dr. Augustine and Norm at the beginning.
Neither can I. (Nor can I do any of the other Na'vi lines except a few of the ones that Neytiri says to herself or for a dead animal...)

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

'Itan Atxur

I can imitate the sounds for almost all Na'vi parts, but can't identify the words. There's a few areas I've gotten really good at and can actually understand what they're saying, but not as many as I'd like.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on April 22, 2011, 10:09:20 PM
There's a few areas I've gotten really good at and can actually understand what they're saying
That's how I am with a few things. I know a few sentences here and there, but nowhere near all of it.

In the parts I don't know, I can make out quite a few of the words...but without having a good Na'vi vocabulary, it's almost impossible to catch all of them.

Alyara Arati

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on April 22, 2011, 10:09:20 PM
There's a few areas I've gotten really good at and can actually understand what they're saying,

I used to pretend that they were speaking a different dialect of Na'vi from the one that I was learning so that I could just look at the subtitles guilt-free, but now I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to catch more and thinking, "So that's what those sounds meant."

YKYBWATMwhen... the pronunciation errors of the actors don't sound abnormal anymore because you know that they're speaking a different dialect.
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

eejmensenikbenhet

To me it's just the opposite: I can do almost all Na'vi lines but no English lines :P
I the only parts I can speak in sync are: the entire first scene in the link-room (including Grace and Norm in Na'vi), a long part: from the moment they hit the ground with the Samson and they go to the school and so on until the dinner in Kelutral (Where I always sing the weaving song :P), then the speech of Jake/Tsu'tey, a few short conversations ("Were going up against gunships with bows and arrows", Jake and Quaritch fight, the part where Jake tells us this is his last videolog)

Technowraith

It's all about hearing the sounds and repeating them. I actually have no clue what they say as much as as my ability to say it. It comes from simple repetition of what I hear on the TV. When you repeat something enough times, you'll remember it, regardless of whether you are actively following along, or not.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Technowraith on April 23, 2011, 07:33:26 PM
It's all about hearing the sounds and repeating them.

Just make sure you also know (and do) the proper Na'vi pronounciation as well, so that you don't imitate this:

QuoteMa Suteeì, kìmpì si nga?

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Inspirata on April 23, 2011, 07:55:49 PM
Quote from: Technowraith on April 23, 2011, 07:33:26 PM
It's all about hearing the sounds and repeating them.

Just make sure you also know (and do) the proper Na'vi pronounciation as well, so that you don't imitate this:

QuoteMa Suteeì, kìmpì si nga?

"Tsutey" and "Kempe" sound correct to me in that scene. Also, you have to account for dialect which Zoe was asked to make up as she went I believe. The other actors were told to imitate her.

eejmensenikbenhet

Technowraith

For the most part, what is heard in the movie is generally correct. While not 100% grammatically correct at this point due to some basic changes to the language between now and then, for the sake of verbatim repetition, it works.

And I also learned that my home theater system silently tracks the titles of the discs you play. So, not surprisingly, Avatar ranks #1 with 1866 views. The system does not distinguish between editions, only by raw title. The title at number 2 is Lord of the Rings with 811 views. The system seems to count partial views in the totals, as the number increments everytime you insert the disc and it reads the title info into the database.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

archaic

Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Dalva

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on April 12, 2011, 10:20:47 AM
Quote from: Dalva on April 12, 2011, 09:37:00 AM
Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on April 11, 2011, 10:09:38 AM
Neytiri is also fluent in 3 dialects of Romulan.
hmm? in which movie?

The new Star Trek!
wait really? i rarely see the "human neytiri" so i cant recall which is her
Quote from: archaic on April 25, 2011, 01:18:49 AM
Quote from: Technowraith on April 24, 2011, 10:09:10 PM
Avatar ranks #1 with 1866 views.
:o :D
A true fan !!!  So how many times have you seen it?
1866x2.45=4571 hours spent to watch avatar? that's 190 days?

'Itan Atxur

Zoe plays Lt. Uhura. She's the black communications expert on the bridge who really doesn't seem to like Kirk.

And I lost track of Techno's theatrical view count once it reached 140 ;)

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Dalva on April 25, 2011, 05:57:34 AM
1866x2.45=4571 hours spent to watch avatar? that's 190 days?
The movie is actually 2.7 hours (162m, or 2hr 42m), so its 209.925 days

That can also be read as: 29.989 weeks spent watching, 6.77 months spent watching, or 0.56 years spent watching. (Months are assumed to all have 31 days.)

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on April 25, 2011, 11:09:25 AM
And I lost track of Techno's theatrical view count once it reached 140 ;)
I think it was 155.

EDIT: Fixed math error.

Technowraith

Quote from: archaic on April 25, 2011, 01:18:49 AM
Quote from: Technowraith on April 24, 2011, 10:09:10 PM

Avatar ranks #1 with 1866 views.

:o :D

A true fan !!!  So how many times have you seen it?

I've physically seen Avatar from end to end 516  of 1866 times. This includes Collector's and standard barebones editions. The remaining views come from leaving the dvd looped with the video off during the night. The soundtrack of the movie just plays in the background, like white noise. These views do not count since I'm not watching avatar obviously.

Theatrical viewings stand at 155. (The number of times i sat in the theater. Paid only for 40 screenings though).

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm