Your least favourite scenes

Started by Ftxavanga Txe′lan, January 16, 2011, 03:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lolet

Quote from: Eanikran te Txuronyu Ateyo'itan on March 25, 2011, 06:34:21 PM
Quote from: Lolet te Maticay Irana'ite Omaticaya on March 25, 2011, 06:23:21 PM
Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on March 25, 2011, 06:21:57 PM
The scene is hilarious AND does a ton to show the true character that Selfridge is.

Why was he firing people? It's not like they can go home.
YOU'RE FIRED. now get back to work.

That seems like something he's say, actually.

Dalva

Quote from: Lolet te Maticay Irana'ite Omaticaya on March 25, 2011, 06:40:22 PM
Quote from: Eanikran te Txuronyu Ateyo'itan on March 25, 2011, 06:34:21 PM
Quote from: Lolet te Maticay Irana'ite Omaticaya on March 25, 2011, 06:23:21 PM
Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on March 25, 2011, 06:21:57 PM
The scene is hilarious AND does a ton to show the true character that Selfridge is.
Why was he firing people? It's not like they can go home.
YOU'RE FIRED. now get back to work.
That seems like something he's say, actually.
which scene is that?

'Itan Atxur

It's the deleted scene "a long way from home" or something like that. It's near the end of the list.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on March 26, 2011, 09:32:12 AM
It's the deleted scene "a long way from home" or something like that. It's near the end of the list.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

ExLibrisMortis

My least favorite scene is the one right after Jake gets his Ikran and Jake and Neytiri are talking to eachother.... *shivers*

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on March 28, 2011, 08:15:46 AM
My least favorite scene is the one right after Jake gets his Ikran and Jake and Neytiri are talking to eachother.... *shivers*

hrh Many people say that one! ::) Well, I have to say it had personally never bothered me, but now that everyone is mentioning it I do find that it's really not a good scene after all. :P

ExLibrisMortis

Its just so bad because this is 3 months down the road and neytiri, who is supposed of be one Grace's best students, and dealing with Jake for 3 months, is still talking in very bad english...

'Itan Atxur

I don't think they'd reopened the school yet by that scene had they? If they had, it was far less than 3 months. And don't forget, Grace had YEARS to teach the Na'vi before they shut down the school. That being said, many people who speak a foreign language fluently, still speak with a strong accent.

Lolet

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on March 28, 2011, 09:31:01 AM
I don't think they'd reopened the school yet by that scene had they? If they had, it was far less than 3 months. And don't forget, Grace had YEARS to teach the Na'vi before they shut down the school. That being said, many people who speak a foreign language fluently, still speak with a strong accent.

They reopened the school? I thought Grace was just back to visit.

Eanikran

Quote from: Lolet te Maticay Irana'ite Omaticaya on March 28, 2011, 10:41:57 AM

They reopened the school? I thought Grace was just back to visit.
I asked the same thing, I don't think it was reopened..

Vawm tsamsiyu

Yea her English suddenly gets worse in that scene then get back to normal right after
they killed the [you] tag

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Vawm tsamsiyu on March 28, 2011, 01:29:17 PM
Yea her English suddenly gets worse in that scene then get back to normal right after

Are we talking about the "I came like this, this you. I turn..." scene? Gonna have to disagree again. I feel her English remains consistent throughout the movie, but that's just my opinion.

As for the school, Jake says: "I talked Mo'at into letting Grace back into the village", so I very well may be in the wrong here. However, we see Grace talking to the children. While that's hardly a guarantee that the school is reopened, I feel it does imply it. Why would they let her back into the village but not let her teach?

;D ;D

-Itan Atxur

Alyara Arati

I always make the excuse for her that she's very excited there and having more trouble finding words in English than she ordinarily does.
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Alyara Arati on March 28, 2011, 06:04:55 PM

I always make the excuse for her that she's very excited there and having more trouble finding words in English than she ordinarily does.

But that's a legitimate excuse, don't you think? I don't know how many of you have really put time and effort into learning a foreign language, but I promise you this: You may be able to speak fairly fluent in the class room and while practicing, but holding a real conversation perfectly takes YEARS of practice, and if you're trying to speak quickly, it's even harder.

ExLibrisMortis

What I meant was that it is understood that Neytiri was one of Grace's best students, hence why she can understand/speak English as well as she can. This is when the school was open, before her sister got shot.

The 3 months part is that Jake had been with her for three months, so she learned even more english from him, and he learned Na'vi from her.

Lolet

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on March 28, 2011, 05:08:15 PM

Are we talking about the "I came like this, this you. I turn..." scene? Gonna have to disagree again. I feel her English remains consistent throughout the movie, but that's just my opinion.

As for the school, Jake says: "I talked Mo'at into letting Grace back into the village", so I very well may be in the wrong here. However, we see Grace talking to the children. While that's hardly a guarantee that the school is reopened, I feel it does imply it. Why would they let her back into the village but not let her teach?

;D ;D

-Itan Atxur

Maybe no one wanted to go back to the school and see blood splats? If my friends were shot in front of me, I wouldn't go back to where it happened.  :(

Dalva

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on March 28, 2011, 07:03:25 PM
Quote from: Alyara Arati on March 28, 2011, 06:04:55 PM
But that's a legitimate excuse, don't you think? I don't know how many of you have really put time and effort into learning a foreign language, but I promise you this: You may be able to speak fairly fluent in the class room and while practicing, but holding a real conversation perfectly takes YEARS of practice, and if you're trying to speak quickly, it's even harder.
i dont think her english in that scene makes the scene looks bad, just my personal opinion. i mean yea she might get too excited that she's having a hard time choosing which words to say. and i think i can hear she stutters a bit, which seems to be indication of over-excitement. i sometimes stutter when saying something when i'm over-excited myself

'Oma Tirea

I've always had the theory that she was "in the moment nìNa'vi"... speaking kawnga 'Ìnglìsì...

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

'Itan Atxur

Whew!! Thought I was the only one for a second.

Human No More

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on March 28, 2011, 05:08:15 PM

;D ;D

-Itan Atxur
I agree. The Na'vi learning English probably focused on specific contexts, much like any person does when learning a language to a conversational level, before they become fluent in it. After all, I'd say that even the people here who are excellent at Na'vi might struggle to discuss something exclusive to humans in origin such as programming in Na'vi, because there are not always comparable words and concepts. It's another example of how Avatar is so realistic that people complain about the realism because they aren't used to that level of realism in films :P
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman